Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Topher
I have done it.
By Bruvva
The Solange assault on Jay Z and THIS reporting on it (this from the Guardian) : "What Jay Z did, if anything, to warrant such an assault is currently obsessing the internet."....

Yup, CLEARLY his fault.
By Bruvva
SEE, that's the whole point : the attitude seems to be "he deserved it". As if him saying something mean meant that Solange was permitted to assault him.
By Topher
Victim blaming is never good - it tends to be women on the end of it when brain-dead people somehow try to suggest women are at fault for being raped because of what they wear or something.

Mind you I have no idea what happened to Jay-Z.
By chrysostom
Before we go down this road - I think the point is 'What on earth triggered Solange to viciously launch into an attack'.

I don't the main narratives are saying he must have said something which was worthy of physical assault.

The more worrying thing is how it's being turned into a hilarious meme. Clearly a woman attempting to assault a man is humourous.
By chrysostom
From an official statement:

"Jay and Solange each assume their share of responsibility for what has occurred. They both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public. They both have apologized to each other and we have moved forward as a united family."

"The reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behaviour throughout that evening are simply false," it said. "At the end of the day, families have problems and we're no different. We love each other and above all we are family. We've put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same."

That's that over with.
By Bruvva
And quite right, it's nobodies business but theirs.

It's just the reaction to the whole deal that irks me..Even Marina Hyde in the Guardian was seeing it as something funny, and I've normally a bit of time for her.

Domestic violence is domestic violence, THIS got barely any coverage compared to the Nigella Lawson/Saatchi thing which happened at the same time.

It's double standards and it irks me.
By chrysostom
Pupils at my former school blacked up to be the guys from 'Cool Runnings' & the headmaster tweeted their picture. Subsequently a headmaster of a Grammar school which has a low level of ethnic diversity was lambasted in the press for encouraging young pupils to engage in blackface.

It's really sad that people see this as an opportunity to attack the 'PC brigade' and ignore the historic oppression which accompanies blackface & the minstrel culture.

Seems like some people see it as an opportunity to highlight the war on 'traditional British values' - which seemingly include the continuation of historically oppressive practices.
By Nicola_Red
After a traumatic day having tests at the hospital on Fri, Mr Red has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He's pretty shocked and whilst it isn't massively serious and he feels well in himself, it's still a big deal to us. Not what we need in the midst of wedding planning!
By dimtimjim
Bruvva wrote: Domestic violence is domestic violence, THIS got barely any coverage compared to the Nigella Lawson/Saatchi thing which happened at the same time.

It's double standards and it irks me.

+1

Nicola_Red wrote: Mr Red has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Sorry to hear that Ms Red.
By Topher
How annoyingly brilliant my beautiful wife is.
By dimtimjim
Topher wrote:How annoyingly beautiful my brilliant wife is.

Fixed for you.
By Topher
Ahem... I dunno if any of you are reading here any more, but this is the most disgraceful front page I have seen for a LONG time:
sun_2014-06-25.jpg

The arrogance of Rupert Murdoch and his publications seemingly know no bounds. Roughly translated, this headline says "fantastic day, only one of our former editors was found guilty of criminal acts". Whatever happened to Murdoch telling MPs it was "the most humble day of my life"? Forgotten. Millie Dowler's hacked voicemail? Swept under the carpet.

Don't buy The S*n. For lots of reasons, but now there's one more.
By dimtimjim
there are only ever two good reasons to buy the Sun.... The left one and the right one. :wink:

on a more serious note, I totally agree with T-pains point above! Anchors.
By chrysostom
Not being able to sell my 2 tickets for Eminem on the 11th July (selling due to getting tickets for the 12th).

Seems a LOT of people bought to sell & now there's no demand!
By bmstinton93
It's something I would have loved to go to, but there's no way I can afford it right now and with nobody to go to and a trek to London it just puts me off. I guarantee it will be absolutely amazing though!
By Topher
chrysostom wrote:Not being able to sell my 2 tickets for Eminem on the 11th July (selling due to getting tickets for the 12th).

Seems a LOT of people bought to sell & now there's no demand!

Go two days running? I did to see Kaiser Chiefs and they were different performances.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]