Nicola_Red wrote:Geek flatmate says all wireless routers can do that.He's wrong.
bmstinton93 wrote:I am on plusnet but as I am in student accommodation the only sockets I have are Ethernet sockets so therefore no modem to plug anything in to.What's your plan -- you want to get wi-fi to a device that has no Ethernet port?
neilt0 wrote:Wanna get it to my phone basically. I have a ethernet box thingy with 4 ports that connects to my xbox and laptop. Now I just wanna be able to connect my phone and also have the ability to move my laptop around easily. Cheers for the help.bmstinton93 wrote:I am on plusnet but as I am in student accommodation the only sockets I have are Ethernet sockets so therefore no modem to plug anything in to.What's your plan -- you want to get wi-fi to a device that has no Ethernet port?
neilt0 wrote:Oh, well, I have no idea. This is what he said (copied and pasted from text, I'm not with him):Nicola_Red wrote:Geek flatmate says all wireless routers can do that.He's wrong.
Bas wrote:She's the Tina Daheley of chrismoyles.netMissed any of Dave's Tedious Links? Catch up with my Tedious Links 2010-12 page here
bmstinton93 wrote:The cheapest solution (free) would be to use your laptop to bridge the ethernet connection and send wi-fi to your phone. That's assuming your laptop has wi-fi built in.neilt0 wrote:Wanna get it to my phone basically. I have a ethernet box thingy with 4 ports that connects to my xbox and laptop. Now I just wanna be able to connect my phone and also have the ability to move my laptop around easily. Cheers for the help.bmstinton93 wrote:I am on plusnet but as I am in student accommodation the only sockets I have are Ethernet sockets so therefore no modem to plug anything in to.What's your plan -- you want to get wi-fi to a device that has no Ethernet port?
Nicola_Red wrote:Routers have ethernet ports to connect devices to the internet, not vice versa.neilt0 wrote:Oh, well, I have no idea. This is what he said (copied and pasted from text, I'm not with him):Nicola_Red wrote:Geek flatmate says all wireless routers can do that.He's wrong.
Pretty much all wireless routers have an Ethernet port on the back, so you don't need to have it connected to the phone line for internet access, it will just operate as a switch or wireless access point really.
neilt0 wrote:The cheapest solution (free) would be to use your laptop to bridge the ethernet connection and send wi-fi to your phone. That's assuming your laptop has wi-fi built in.This look at all close?
I believe Vista and later have a wizard to do this. If you have wifi in your laptop and Vista or Win7, try Googling.
bmstinton93 wrote:The Bridge part is promising. You used the wizard?neilt0 wrote:The cheapest solution (free) would be to use your laptop to bridge the ethernet connection and send wi-fi to your phone. That's assuming your laptop has wi-fi built in.This look at all close?
I believe Vista and later have a wizard to do this. If you have wifi in your laptop and Vista or Win7, try Googling.