Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
User avatar
By Aled
#247632
Bag of balls wrote:Aled, I have a question.. how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Just currious is all.


2 metres of it
By Ballbag
#247633
Aled wrote:
Bag of balls wrote:Aled, I have a question.. how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Just currious is all.


2 metres of it
Yikes... that's quite alot, I was only expecting 1.5 metres, 1.8 at a push.
User avatar
By Johnny 1989
#247638
Aled wrote:
Johnny 1989 wrote:Hello Aled I have a question

As we know the Moyles team has changed many times in the past and some past members have either worked in the BBC elsewhere or have since returned to the show Producers Rhys, Melinda & Ben to name a few.

My question however to Aled is do former assistants Simon "Melinda" Hollis & "Dizzy" Lizzie Buckingham still keep in touch at all or not?

I haven't heard Chris mention them for a while so wondered if him & Dave, and indeed any other team member heard from the two former assitants at all?


No I don't believe Lizzie or Simon have kept in touch. Simon's wife Laura worked here until a few months ago.


Thanks for the reply Aled, shame really as they did have quite a big part in the show.

Keep up the great work the show is great at the moment :D
User avatar
By aquaboy
#247681
Wow - I just want to say i love this thread.
Here's my first question. How do you all fit inside my radio?
User avatar
By Adam
#247697
Aled wrote:
Adam wrote:^ aww.

Aled - would you be for a chrismoyles.net webchat sometime between now and the first two weeks of October? Could be a kind of Ask Aled Live etc.


yes I would


Aled,

Name a date and time (pref. evening) and we'll hopefully arrange it.
User avatar
By andiemk51
#247726
^^^WOW!!!!......... i can't wait........ i'll be here :D :D
User avatar
By Adam
#247866
Aled,

With regards to "Tranny Rachel" feature which was done on the show a few times a short while back. I guess this feature will not be done anymore? Recently read an email from Head of Mainstream R1 which explains a few things, but just wondering if you feel that some of your features or links within the show are somewhat misinterrupted by certain members of the listenership and result in forthcoming complaints?

I understand Chris was acussed of transophobia by a LGBT Charity - do you feel all the fuss regarding Chris being homophobic is getting a little stupid. I was surprised to learn there were recent marches with people holding up plackards with "Sack Moyles ..."

Also refering to your last post about asking if Chris was scared of gays etc, is the show treading carefully from now on in terms of a references to minorities? I like how a jingle has been created, which refers to the hmophobic thing. I recently set up a poll regarding this feature, as I wasnt too keen on it - seems a lot of people liked it in the end, but the reason I created this thread was I felt it had such a short shelf life. However, does the show worry about all the comments from these groups - are they the people your show wants to appeal to?

It seems odd and slightly ironic that people feel that the presenter is scared or causing offence to gay people however what I dont understand is that as you are open about being gay and work on the - why havent they also learnt that Chris is just 'having a laugh and not meaning anything by it' & you work on the show. I hope you dont mind Chris talking about your bf and the gay trucker song - I wish people would relax and enjoy the show more.

Hope you can reply back to this.
User avatar
By Johnny 1989
#247883
Quick question for you Aled:

Radio 1 have a playlist, which are the songs they are to play on air, alot good, some rubbish. However I was just wondering if Chris had a "banned from the show" list of songs he refuses to play because he hates them?

I remember on his afternoon shows there were several songs he would hate and make a point of commenting about them afterwards, so was just wondering if he now has a list of songs from the playlist he refuses to play or does he have to play all of them at least once a week/month?
User avatar
By aquaboy
#247889
I'd like to hear Aleds view on that. I alwayed belived that presenters are not allowed to give negitive comments about the songs they play, as this would be basicly saying 'our station plays rubbish songs' and thats a no-no
Although chris sometimes drops hints lol I personly love it when i plays his kinda music as i'm in his age group.... er, 25 ish :-p
User avatar
By Aled
#247928
aquaboy wrote:Wow - I just want to say i love this thread.
Here's my first question. How do you all fit inside my radio?


It's a bit of a push, but if you notice we don't ever have the WHOLE team in there at once, if Joce or Rhys walks in someone has to leave
User avatar
By Aled
#247933
Johnny 1989 wrote:Quick question for you Aled:

Radio 1 have a playlist, which are the songs they are to play on air, alot good, some rubbish. However I was just wondering if Chris had a "banned from the show" list of songs he refuses to play because he hates them?

I remember on his afternoon shows there were several songs he would hate and make a point of commenting about them afterwards, so was just wondering if he now has a list of songs from the playlist he refuses to play or does he have to play all of them at least once a week/month?


Chris doesn't have a "banned from the show" list of tracks, and technically the presenter are supposed to play the songs that are playlisted for them, but as you can probably guess no-one makes Chris do anything.

Radio 1 would hardly want Chris playing tracks he really didn't want to play. More tracks are playlisted in each half hour than Chris is likely to play so Chris has room to choose a track over another one if he prefers. Rachel and I would feed back to the music dept if a pattern emerges that Chris is consistently dropping a particular track. If it's an important track to Radio 1 we'd talk to Chris and between us decide where to go from there.
User avatar
By Aled
#247938
Adam wrote:Aled,

With regards to "Tranny Rachel" feature which was done on the show a few times a short while back. I guess this feature will not be done anymore? Recently read an email from Head of Mainstream R1 which explains a few things, but just wondering if you feel that some of your features or links within the show are somewhat misinterrupted by certain members of the listenership and result in forthcoming complaints?

I understand Chris was acussed of transophobia by a LGBT Charity - do you feel all the fuss regarding Chris being homophobic is getting a little stupid. I was surprised to learn there were recent marches with people holding up plackards with "Sack Moyles ..."

Also refering to your last post about asking if Chris was scared of gays etc, is the show treading carefully from now on in terms of a references to minorities? I like how a jingle has been created, which refers to the hmophobic thing. I recently set up a poll regarding this feature, as I wasnt too keen on it - seems a lot of people liked it in the end, but the reason I created this thread was I felt it had such a short shelf life. However, does the show worry about all the comments from these groups - are they the people your show wants to appeal to?

It seems odd and slightly ironic that people feel that the presenter is scared or causing offence to gay people however what I dont understand is that as you are open about being gay and work on the - why havent they also learnt that Chris is just 'having a laugh and not meaning anything by it' & you work on the show. I hope you dont mind Chris talking about your bf and the gay trucker song - I wish people would relax and enjoy the show more.

Hope you can reply back to this.


Hey Adam, you're asking a lot of similar questions there.

We don't broadcast to particular minorities / majority of the population. We broadcast shows doing what we feel is best. It's part of the reason why we're trusted by the BBC as producers / presenters. Obviously we would never broadcast content that was intended to offend a portion of the population, a few rare occasions people or sections of the community get offended by something we've done. Not necessarily the gay community, but that's been one of the most publicised case.

It's almost impossible when doing a show like ours to never offend anyone, if and when that happens we all take a very sober view of the complaint and learn from it what we can to help limit any possible offence in the future.

We're not right ever time as much as not every complaint is right everytime, we're dealing with, afterall, opinion rather than right or wrong. It wouldn't be right of me to comment on specific complaints, but generally this is what happens behind the scenes when a complaint comes through.

Here are some facts though. Chris isn't homophobic. I, as one of his two producers is gay, I couldn't devote my working life to Chris and the show if I felt he was hurting my friends and peers.
User avatar
By Yudster
#248040
I occasionally find the show incredibly annoying, intensely irritating and very occasionally offensive. But so what? Its just a radio show, should I let it influence how I feel about anything? On the whole I enjoy the show, thats why I listen to it (goodness knows I am not Target Audience!) - and if there are moments which i don't enjoy, I switch it off for five minutes and come back later. It's not difficult..........

Aled, which do you prefer, producing the early part of the show, or the later bit?
By Ballbag
#248071
Aled, can I ask you a serious question, with no secret hidden agenda or anything, just pure curiousity.... don't answer if you don't want to... but in your early years, did you ever have a girlfriend?
User avatar
By Yudster
#248073
Bag of balls wrote:Aled, can I ask you a serious question, with no secret hidden agenda or anything, just pure curiousity.... don't answer if you don't want to... but in your early years, did you ever have a girlfriend?


You know, I have wondered this too, ever since the "Amarillo" parody - with the line "home of the girl I had my first kiss with...."!
User avatar
By Aled
#248192
Bag for balls wrote:Aled, can I ask you a serious question, with no secret hidden agenda or anything, just pure curiousity.... don't answer if you don't want to... but in your early years, did you ever have a girlfriend?


No, I didn't.
By David
#248199
Aled - Radio 1 has always seemed to be a fan of Embrace. On their latest album they championed Natures Law, and they played the England song (World at your feet) a hell of alot. But why have they completly left out their new single Target (which is by far the best on the album)?
By Ballbag
#248214
Aled wrote:
Bag for balls wrote:Aled, can I ask you a serious question, with no secret hidden agenda or anything, just pure curiousity.... don't answer if you don't want to... but in your early years, did you ever have a girlfriend?


No, I didn't.



Ta very much.
User avatar
By Aled
#248227
David wrote:Aled - Radio 1 has always seemed to be a fan of Embrace. On their latest album they championed Natures Law, and they played the England song (World at your feet) a hell of alot. But why have they completly left out their new single Target (which is by far the best on the album)?


Hey David, I know what you mean. we didn't playlist "Target". Seeing as I'm one of a commitee of people on the Radio 1 playlist, rather than comment on this, this is what I posted on the Embrace forum in response to some of their unhappy e-mails:

As much as we love Embrace and have had a great relationship with them from the start, their new track 'Target' unfortunately was not considered to be strong enough by the playlist team at Radio 1.

Our decisions are taken democratically by the Radio 1 Music Team alongside a group of Radio 1 producers carefully chosen for their musical expertise. We have taken into account the state of the project to date and where it is going, but our audience research panel have also given consistently poor reactions to recent material from Embrace. There is also enormous competition amongst guitar-led bands at the moment with only limited space on Radio 1's mainstream playlist.

Historically we have always had a very good relationship with the band at Radio 1 and so we can assure you that each new track will be evaluated on it's merits.

Aled
By Ballbag
#248228
Aled have you ever met Russel Brand, and if so what's he like "off camera". I imagine that Chris doesn't like him.
User avatar
By Longview01
#248236
Embrace havent been any good since 1998
User avatar
By Aled
#248253
Bag for balls wrote:Aled have you ever met Russel Brand, and if so what's he like "off camera". I imagine that Chris doesn't like him.


I have actually. I've been on his show a few times and we once met at a screening and chatted. Chris does like him. He went to one of Davina's fund-raising events and met him there. They got on very well.
By Ballbag
#248255
Aled wrote:
Bag for balls wrote:Aled have you ever met Russel Brand, and if so what's he like "off camera". I imagine that Chris doesn't like him.


I have actually. I've been on his show a few times and we once met at a screening and chatted. Chris does like him. He went to one of Davina's fund-raising events and met him there. They got on very well.
That surprises me.... I presumed that Russel would be prime "mickey taking fodder" for Chris.

Interesting.
By stevotrash Esq.
#248280
Aled wrote:
Eddie wrote:Aled, why did you say "Please God no" When someone said bring back Mark and Lard. They were absolutely excellent and I think (most) people on here agree with that.


They had a small but very dedicated group of fans, which is what you'd want for a specialist show, for a daytime show you want broad appeal. Colin and Edith put on a million after taking over. I felt like I was listening to my dad and his mate listening to Mark and Lard.

I think Mark is a genius broadcaster and suited so well to Radio 2.


Fair point with the whole mainstream arguement but describing their show as listening to a dad and his mate is disparaging. Their show was clever, original, scripted radio which alot of people didn't get/like rather than just being two old blokes just nattering on.
User avatar
By Aled
#248282
stevotrash Esq. wrote:
Aled wrote:
Eddie wrote:Aled, why did you say "Please God no" When someone said bring back Mark and Lard. They were absolutely excellent and I think (most) people on here agree with that.


They had a small but very dedicated group of fans, which is what you'd want for a specialist show, for a daytime show you want broad appeal. Colin and Edith put on a million after taking over. I felt like I was listening to my dad and his mate listening to Mark and Lard.

I think Mark is a genius broadcaster and suited so well to Radio 2.


Fair point with the whole mainstream arguement but describing their show as listening to a dad and his mate is disparaging. Their show was clever, original, scripted radio which alot of people didn't get/like rather than just being two old blokes just nattering on.


Using my dad as an example wasn't suggesting either Mark and Lard or my dad aren't brilliant people! It was merely a suggestion of the age that they sounded. More work went into their shows than almost any other radio show I know. Not arguing there at all.
  • 1
  • 37
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41

TCMS Unedited Monday November 11th, 2019 htt[…]

Criminal (US based) Latest episode of this is on[…]