Request and download your Moyles-related sound or video clips in here
By cassetteman
Hello,

I've just been emptying my loft and among the rubbish is a load of cassette tapes from when I went through a period of recording radio shows as a teenager. 30 of them are of Chris Moyles, mostly from his early breakfast show days. 8 of them are undated but 22 of them are dated, I've listed them below. I haven't listened back yet so no idea what the quality is like and back then I used to often pause at the music to fit the shows onto a single tape so would miss bits of links. I suspect the undated ones are from 1997 or early 1998, before I started adding dates to the tape labels. If interested then I'm happy to look at converting these an uploading them? Dates are listed below:

8 x Undated

Early breakfast 4/2/98
Early Breakfast 17/2/98
Early Breakfast 24/2/98
Early breakfast 26/2/98
Breakfast show fill in 4/3/98
Breakfast show fill in 6/3/98
Early breakfast 17/3/98
Saturday morning 28/3/98
Morning Show (10.00-12.00) 6/4/98
Breakfast fill in 28/4/98
Early breakfast “May 1998”
Early breakfast 18/5/98
Early Breakfast 2/6/98
Early Breakfast 9/6/98
Early breakfast 22/6/98
Early Breakfast 24/6/98
Breakfast show fill in 1/7/98
Early Breakfast 21/7/98
Early breakfast 22/7/98
Early breakfast 28/7/98
Early Breakfast 18/8/98
Christmas Day 1998
Starting with the dated February shows. All are co-hosted by Jude and Ben (and quite a lot by Clive Warren)

Chris Moyles Early bit 3rd February 1998: 1 hour and 8 minutes.

Chris' second day back after his holiday to LA. The team discuss Tommy Lee and Pamela Andersons sex tape

Chris Moyles Early bit 4th February 1998: 1 hour and 2 minutes

What else rhymes with Cleopatra? The Metallica drummer was rude to Chris in LA

Chris Moyles Early bit 5th February 1998: 17 minutes

Partial recording of the show from shortly after 05.00 until just after 06.00 . Comedy Dave makes his first appearance speaking twice. Chris met Cleopatra yesterday.

Chris Moyles Early bit 17th February 1998: 1 hour and 4 minutes

First Clive Warren handover for a month. Which famous person did Chris drink with in Horse and Groom the day before? Chris to track down the page 3 girl from that day but is not longer allowed to say the B word.

Chris Moyles Early bit 24th February 1998: 16 minutes.

Partial recording from 04.00 until shortly after 04.30. I must have fallen asleep.

Chris Moyles Early bit 25th February 1998: 1 hour and 4 minutes.

Chris is covering breakfast next week and has made some new jingles and announces that Comedy Dave will be joining them for breakfast next week. Newsbeat have a new newsreader called Georgina Bowman. Chris is annoyed by his Taxi driver.

Chris Moyles Early bit 26th February 1998: 1 hour and 3 minutes.

Chris has just woken up and made the same taxi driver he spoke about yesterday wait for an hour and 15 minutes. Chris is going to this morning with Natalie Imbruglia later and then him and Clive are going for lunch with Pat Sharp. Matthew Bannister has resigned and Andy Parfitt who likes the show has taken over so Chris is pleased. Chris makes Jude cry.
Last edited by cassetteman on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
So I decided to go through the undated tapes and see if I could date them from the audio contained and I'm quite pleased to have done so!

Chris Moyles Early bit early clips

This is a 5 minute capture of some clips from the first two weeks of the show, before I started recording whole shows. Not very exciting but a bit historic I thought. Clips prove that Chris originally started with Producer Simon and Joe on the phones. Also contains a call to Claire Sturgess, who covered the 1-4am show for the first two weeks before Clive Warren took over and Claire left for the soon to be launched XFM. Also a clip of show number 10, which would date it as August 9th 1997.

The following three shows are from one tape:

Chris Moyles Early bit 24th September 1997 - 51 minutes
The Mark and Lard breakfast show are on tour with the Shirehorses and the night before played Leeds, which allowed me to date this show to 24th September 1997, thanks to the Scrawnandlard.co.uk. Ben Cooper was the producer here, referred to as Nicky Campbells producer so presumably just covering for this week.

Chris Moyles Early bit 25th September 1997 - 11 minutes

Only 11 minutes of the show from the next day, between 04.00 and 04.30.

Chris Moyles Early bit 30th September 1997 - 15 minutes

The first hour of the show. Radio One is thirty years old and Chris went to the birthday bash the night before. Producer Simon is back and the chemistry is very different from Ben so easy to see why the change was made permanent shortly after.

The following three shows are all from the same week and were spread over two tapes. It is Mark and Lards last week on the breakfast show, and the last week of the show going out 4-7am, which helped me to date these shows. Jude and Ben are now the permanent staff on the show.

Chris Moyles Early bit 7th October 1997 - 18 minutes

From about 05.20 to just after 06.00, I can only assume I did not get home until 05.20 and fell asleep shortly after 6am.

Chris Moyles Early bit 8th October 1997 - 51 minutes

From shortly after 05:00 through to the end of the show at 07.00. They also refer to "Dave Vitty who pushes the buttons on the breakfast show from London" So he was not named Comedy Dave yet by this point and wasn't working on the show.

Chris Moyles Early bit 9th October 1997 - 1 hour

Finally taped a whole show and it's National Poetry day!

Chris Moyles Early bit 30th October 1997 - 1 hour and 1 minute.

Clive Warren has just completed a 5 and a half hour show as Mary Anne Hobbs is ill and needs to be well enough to record that weeks Top of the pops. That nugget of info was enough for me to dig through who presented TOTP in late 1997 on the Radio Times archive and to be able to date the show.

Chris Moyles Early bit 31st October 1997 - 28 minutes

Chris is late as Jude woke him up at 03.55. First two hours of the show but the sound is distorted in places.

Chris Moyles Early bit 7th November 1997 - 1 hour and 3 minutes

Chris and the team went to see Zoe Ball record TOTP the night before and talked about which acts were on, that was enough for me to be able to date the show via Radio Times and the Charts archive.

Chris Moyles Early bit 11th November 1997 - 59 minutes

Chris is hungover as he attended the Lightening Seeds album launch party the night before, which allowed me to date the show. A bloke called Melinda is covering for Jude who is on holiday.

Chris Moyles Early bit 26th November 1997 - 18 minutes

The first hour of the show from 4 to 5am. Pulp covered John Peel the night before, which allowed me to date the show via a Pulp fan site.

Chris Moyles Early bit 27th November 1997 - 23 minutes

The next days show from 4am to about 05.30.

Chris Moyles Early bit 15th January 1998 - 1 hour and 4 minutes

I didn't pause my tape for the 04.30 news, which allowed me to date the show from the news stories.

That is all of my captures from 1997 and including the ones in my earlier post take me up to the end of February 1998. 18 more shows from 1998 to come, which I'll try and do over Christmas.

Any feedback on the content welcome. There are the odd glitches here and there but that is more down to 24 year old tapes kept in an attic than anything I am doing now!

Have a great Christmas everyone and hope you enjoy the shows!
By James H
This is some excellent work here. Would you be averse to us keeping a copy of the files on this server just in case the Dropbox links ever expire?
James H wrote:This is some excellent work here. Would you be averse to us keeping a copy of the files on this server just in case the Dropbox links ever expire?

Please do! Inevitable that they will drop off my dropbox one day so a backup would be great, many thanks.

I've also just found a few more tapes that I had put into a different box so a few more shows coming this week from October 1997 and February 1998 before I start on the breakfast show cover shows from March 1998 onwards.
So firstly I have edited some of the February shows, rather than have two shows on the same link. Therefore I have edited my post from 2nd December and have also added durations and show descriptions.

Here are two shows from October 1997 that I missed out first time round:

Chris Moyles Early bit 22nd October 1997: 35 minutes.

Partial recording from just after 05:00 to the end of the show at 06:30. Chris wants some publicity for the show and suggests he, Jude and Ben flash their arses from the top of Broadcasting House.

Chris Moyles Early bit 23rd October 1997: 47 minutes.

From the start of the show at 04:00 to just after 06:00. Chris spent 11 hours in the pub yesterday so offers to do voiceovers for listeners.

Also, I have edited my post above to include this one from February:

Chris' second day back after his holiday to LA. The team discuss Tommy Lee and Pamela Andersons sex tape
And here are the shows from March 1998:

Chris Moyles Breakfast show 4th March 1998: 1 hour and 4 minutes.

Third day of filling in for Kevin and Zoe on the breakfast show with new jingles. Comedy Dave has taken over from Jude as the main co-host with Ben. Boy band 911 are the special guests.

Chris Moyles Breakfast show 6th March 1998: 1 hour and 9 minutes.

Final day of filling in for Kevin and Zoe on the breakfast show. Rick witter from shed seven is the guest and Chris persuades him to shout "come on!" at the end of his set on TFI Friday that night, which he does.

Chris Moyles Early bit 17th March 1998: 1 hour and 3 minutes.

The team discuss penis and breast enlargement

Chris Moyles Saturday breakfast 28th March 1998: 1 hour and 10 minutes.

06:00 to 09:00 on Saturday morning. Ben is no longer the Saturday producer but Christ Whatmough who is meant to take over is off so Rhys Hughes, Simon Mayo's' producer steps in. Billie Myers is the guest
By Conrad
I prefer Chris before all the woke nonsense came about. His current Radio X show isn't a patch on his Radio 1 days. Sadly he's just too boring for me (and we're more or less the same age).
Would absolutely love a copy of these if you would be able to digitalise?

cassetteman wrote:Starting with the dated February shows. All are co-hosted by Jude and Ben (and quite a lot by Clive Warren)

Chris Moyles Early bit 4th February 1998: 1 hour and 2 minutes

What else rhymes with Cleopatra? The Metallica drummer was rude to Chris in LA

Chris Moyles Early bit 5th February 1998: 17 minutes

Partial recording of the show from shortly after 05.00 until just after 06.00 . Comedy Dave makes his first appearance speaking twice. Chris met Cleopatra yesterday.

Chris Moyles Early bit 17th February 1998: 1 hour and 4 minutes

First Clive Warren handover for a month. Which famous person did Chris drink with in Horse and Groom the day before? Chris to track down the page 3 girl from that day but is not longer allowed to say the B word.

Chris Moyles Early bit 24th February 1998: 16 minutes.

Partial recording from 04.00 until shortly after 04.30. I must have fallen asleep.

Chris Moyles Early bit 25th February 1998: 1 hour and 4 minutes.

Chris is covering breakfast next week and has made some new jingles and announces that Comedy Dave will be joining them for breakfast next week. Newsbeat have a new newsreader called Georgina Bowman. Chris is annoyed by his Taxi driver.

Chris Moyles Early bit 26th February 1998: 1 hour and 3 minutes.

Chris has just woken up and made the same taxi driver he spoke about yesterday wait for an hour and 15 minutes. Chris is going to this morning with Natalie Imbruglia later and then him and Clive are going for lunch with Pat Sharp. Matthew Bannister has resigned and Andy Parfitt who likes the show has taken over so Chris is pleased. Chris makes Jude cry.
neilt0 wrote:Brilliant! If you can share these, that would be fantastic! :D

These are excellent
Definitely worth adding to the Wiki and also taking a copy of the Parody /song Mixes in here and adding to the song list here

Thank you both!!