The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
JayE wrote:Anyone found a better stream for streamwriter? Tried the "Radio X" one and it's * up every day so far, can't be doing with it anymore..

It's the crappy G-servers. There's nothing wrong with StreamWriter. I've recorded hours worth when other, less popular shows are on, but they can't handle the popularity of Chris' show.

I recorded from the XFM London and Manchester streams simultaneously and they die at the same time, indicating they are using one, useless server which can't cope from 6:30 to 10:00.

For now, we'll need to rely on the excellent Sky box recordings from our chum here, until the G-units upgrade the G-Server.
One server to handle streaming of a radio show that was always going to be popular is ridiculous. Hope they sort it out.
I guess they are using a lower bitrate for Moyles listen again as they know it's going to be popular and to save on bandwidth.
Whereas evening shows can be a bit higher as they know very few people will click on it.

I did a bit of digging around - they aren't using 1 server, they are using multiple servers on the same hostname

So when you land on the hostname it decides which server to send you to.
But your ISP probably caches that decision, so you'll end up on the same server on all your devices.
Last edited by David on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
q wrote:Here's today's show. HQ recorded from FM. Go get it tiger!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to folks uploading the show for those listening abroad to appreciate! I've been a Moyles fan since the afternoon show years ago and now live in the States. The X Radio Listen Again feature is not great as it's crashed a few times and also can't be paused. Due to Visa issues, I'm out of work so very happy to have Moyles' company!

Thanks again q!
could it be that they are filming all the time that they have to do a lower bandwidth for audio as video takes up a lot?
yummytummy wrote:could it be that they are filming all the time that they have to do a lower bandwidth for audio as video takes up a lot?

Nope! it's a choice what streams out. They would (should) be recording to a lossless format.

They are saving money by reducing the bitrate.
just put up my first clip of the new shows when the clips didn't work. Just uploading the bit when Dom has to say French and Do more weather
Scottbartonexp wrote:Will the full show uploads be put on the site?

yes they are in the wiki at the top of the page

http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/sound ... ileid=2972
(Make Dom Say Anything)

http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/sound ... ileid=2971
(Ads don't work)

https://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/soun ... ileid=2973
(First Link)
Scottbartonexp wrote:Will the full show uploads be put on the site?

In the interest of wanting to keep this site open to all, I think the people who decide such things have decided not to put full shows up, Just edited versions.
paulgannon01 wrote:TuneIn Pro allows you to timer record a show (or it used to) then you can play it back whenever. Although I used to fill my phone up regularly lol. It also does podcasts I think

Installed app on iPhone but can't see where the timer option is any thoughts?
Randomisation20 wrote:
paulgannon01 wrote:TuneIn Pro allows you to timer record a show (or it used to) then you can play it back whenever. Although I used to fill my phone up regularly lol. It also does podcasts I think

Installed app on iPhone but can't see where the timer option is any thoughts?

Did you install the Pro (paid) version? The free one doesn't allow you to record.
For those concerned about quality, when he said they were throwing money at it to try and get the app working, he then mentioned it being in mono on DAB and I'm sure he said they're working on that too?
I finally got Tune In Pro to record the show without issue. I did make a change so that the recording would begin at 6:30 AM exactly. (Previously I'd been trying to start at 6:15 and it was only recording 15 minutes so I am guessing it cuts out when the 'programming' switches over).

A big thank you to everyone who has been recording and posting! I am so happy to have the show back!
It was interesting to hear Chris talking about the DAB feed being in mono, and telling Ashley Tabor it would be worth it to upgrade to stereo. I know he's a radio anorak (despite him insisting he's just good at radio and not a 'radio geek') but I didn't think he would be that interested when it comes to transmission, especially since talk is a bigger part of his style than the music and only needs to be in mono anyway.
jeddeth wrote:I finally got Tune In Pro to record the show without issue. I did make a change so that the recording would begin at 6:30 AM exactly. (Previously I'd been trying to start at 6:15 and it was only recording 15 minutes so I am guessing it cuts out when the 'programming' switches over).

I'm not sure the switchover matters that much as it just changes the graphic / show name. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cutting out after 15 mins due to server load or maybe they were prioritising the app traffic. Today was the first day since Monday that the Tunein alarm worked and started to stream at 6.25. Its interesting to note that on the two days it didn't stream at 6.25 about 5 minutes later it sounded an alarm clock which I guess is a backup alarm.

jeddeth wrote:A big thank you to everyone who has been recording and posting! I am so happy to have the show back!

I'm also very grateful to the cappers and editors as I now look forward to doing the dishes of an evening and catching up with the bits of the show I missed.

VMPhil wrote:It was interesting to hear Chris talking about the DAB feed being in mono, and telling Ashley Tabor it would be worth it to upgrade to stereo. I know he's a radio anorak (despite him insisting he's just good at radio and not a 'radio geek') but I didn't think he would be that interested when it comes to transmission, especially since talk is a bigger part of his style than the music and only needs to be in mono anyway.

I must have missed this although I expect it will be fixed at some point. I have to say that although the quality on my new cheap dab radio is ok I still prefer it streamed and through my bluetooth speaker as it sounds so much better despite just being talk.

I'm expecting Radio X to launch on freeview at some point if it proves to be more popular than the other global stations on there. Although they might want that to coincide with a rajar quarter. However to be honest there are quite a few ways to listen it to in reality so maybe it won't make that much of a difference ratings wise.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]