The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
Topher wrote:
VirginMediaPhil wrote:Interesting quote from the eRADIO newsletter:

We hear Chris is in charge of everything from 6.30-10 at Radio X, even down to the ad minutage and Facebook page. It's amazing what you can demand when you've been the longest serving presenter on the Radio 1 breakfast show.

https://madmimi.com/p/b8aca6?fe=1&pact=33113051806

I'm surprised about the ads - because if I were him and I had that power I would be pushing for no ads and I don't think they would allow that, there must be a minimum number of minutes for ads.

If it's a new station there could be a new clause that states no ads between 6.30 and 10, although it's always a station's most lucrative spot so unless O2 paid through the nose to exclusively sponsor it, I can't see that happening.
foot-loose wrote:He can't not reference it... surely? Plus he's hardly one for shying away from his past successes.

RE: Dave, let's think how many times he mentioned Sophie on the air after the split....erm... ZERO!

And as for no ads, what part of commercial radio do you not understand? :D
neilt0 wrote:And as for no ads, what part of commercial radio do you not understand? :D

Ha, true, but if they are saying they're giving him control over the "ad minutage", that surely means he can choose zero minutes...... basically, I am skeptical of that point.
Topher wrote:
neilt0 wrote:And as for no ads, what part of commercial radio do you not understand? :D

Ha, true, but if they are saying they're giving him control over the "ad minutage", that surely means he can choose zero minutes...... basically, I am skeptical of that point.

It probably means he gets to choose how long each ad break lasts for, and where they appear in the running order of the show.
There will be an overall target he has to meet though, I can't see it being ad free (although this would be nice).
James H wrote:If it's a new station there could be a new clause that states no ads between 6.30 and 10, although it's always a station's most lucrative spot so unless O2 paid through the nose to exclusively sponsor it, I can't see that happening.

I can see it happening plus opening one/two ads per hour after the news so each hour isn't littered with adverts and they can charge more for a premium for the ad slots that will get most listeners.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Surely it'll be a first for commercial if a show is exclusive sponsored and doesn't contain adverts in between show content.

Edit - Just listening to a "Golden Hour" aircheck and hope this is back in some form!
I predict it's a strategy to grow the listenership. All his ex-BBC listeners will likely not be used to adverts - plus he's already said he wants to double the breakfast show figures in a year (easier now that they're on FM in certain places though). Once the audience is huge, the ads will be worth a lot more and deals will be renegotiated.

But I hate radio ads so much.
paulgannon01 wrote:Do you think Chris will have a listener-ship bigger than Grimmy on the first day? I certainly hope so.

I don't really care. I don't particularly wanna turn it into a war. It's not necessary.
Wonder what new freedoms Moyles and team will have compared to when he was on the R1 Breakfast Show. I always thought that Chris was in his element after he announced he was quitting R1 and then had to stand in for the week on Greg James' weekday afternoon show. Are these shows available on this site? They would be a great listen before Monday's launch. I am kind of coming back after 3yrs or so too :) One thing is for sure, I am pretty sure he once said somewhere that he wasn't a fan of daily playlists (I always felt that's what made the Chris Evans Breakfast Show work well on R2). I am even excited to hear what the first track will be. Chumbawamba Tubthumpin??? :) Will he talk until 7am? Will he go for a ciggie at 710? I hope so :)

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]