The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
**EDIT - Hi all - this thread has been split off to discuss listening, recording and streaming the show etc, as per title. Please use this one for all techy discussions/questions! Thankyou. - Nicola Red**

Australian here and a very happy one at that. Cant wait for Chris to return. I have an internet radio, so hopefully should be able to listen. Can somoene tell me what the frequency is so that I can look for it please?
supermattrhodes wrote:Australian here and a very happy one at that. Cant wait for Chris to return. I have an internet radio, so hopefully should be able to listen. Can somoene tell me what the frequency is so that I can look for it please?

104.9 in London is probably your best bet
supermattrhodes wrote:Australian here and a very happy one at that. Cant wait for Chris to return. I have an internet radio, so hopefully should be able to listen. Can somoene tell me what the frequency is so that I can look for it please?

There is also FM 97.7. Might be easier to play it online is possible from there.
I kind of thought when I moved to Melbourne earlier this year that it would be my luck that he comes back and I can't listen hopefully I can find a way to listen live (ideally listen again too), time difference makes it quite good to be honest, going home to Moyles for the first time since 2003!
bwfcol wrote:I kind of thought when I moved to Melbourne earlier this year that it would be my luck that he comes back and I can't listen hopefully I can find a way to listen live (ideally listen again too), time difference makes it quite good to be honest, going home to Moyles for the first time since 2003!

You'll be able to listen online and if you download TuneIn Pro on your mobile you could record the show and listen later? Or the next morning.?
I will need to work out how to do this...I work form home now and get into my office at about 9, so I hopefully will be able to listen on a delay.

Does TuneIn Pro allow you to do that?
TuneIn Pro to record it works perfectly. I did that for the old R1 show. The show airs 1:30-5am here on the east coast of America, so my phone would record it in the middle of the night and I'd have it ready to go when I wake up. You can set it to record every weekday and not have to worry about it.

It DOES use up a lot of memory, so I would only keep the most recent show on the phone.
Can anyone confirm whether or not those of us outside of the UK will be able to listen to Radio X online or otherwise? I know we can't listen to XFM currently. I've seen a couple of mentions of internet radio and how one might be able to listen to the show that way. There are many internet radio sites all over the place online, but would I need a specific app to listen to Radio X?

Thanks!
VirginMediaPhil wrote:
neilt0 wrote:This seems to work nicely for recording the 128kbps XFM stream. It's freeware: https://streamwriter.org/

Here is a sample of the MP3 stream, recorded using VLC, if anyone is wondering about the quality:

http://up.metropol247.co.uk/092015/1441 ... 636218.mp3

I haven't listened to that, but I listened to part of a show I recorded earlier. As long as one doesn't do anything silly like recode it, it should be fine.
I've left it recording for a few hours to check stability.

The more people recording, the better!
neilt0 wrote:
VirginMediaPhil wrote:
neilt0 wrote:This seems to work nicely for recording the 128kbps XFM stream. It's freeware: https://streamwriter.org/

Here is a sample of the MP3 stream, recorded using VLC, if anyone is wondering about the quality:

http://up.metropol247.co.uk/092015/1441 ... 636218.mp3

I haven't listened to that, but I listened to part of a show I recorded earlier. As long as one doesn't do anything silly like recode it, it should be fine.
I've left it recording for a few hours to check stability.

The more people recording, the better!

So are we gonna where possible have the full show available for download like before?

I used to record straight from digital TV and easily costs it and used to do clips from that as a source. But don't see it being possible for me to go back to that :(
neilt0 wrote:Personally, I won't be distributing a show with music in, that's asking for trouble, but I think some people are offering to do edits.

Yep would not expect it to be honest, guessing even any hosted edited shows might be frowned upon by RadioX as a commercial station more so than the old BBC shows, we'll have to see.
I just hit the STOP button on the streamWriter recording and it had recorded over 4 hours without a hitch. Let's hope the servers cope with the increased demand on the 21st.

If you record the MP3 stream and want to edit it, you can use MP3DirectCut which avoids recoding, giving higher quality results and speedier edits, as no encoding is done: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

VirginMediaPhil wrote:Even though the bitrate is awful, should someone still record the DAB stream just in case? Or is there anyone on here who can get a decent reception through FM that could record it? (I'm not in an FM area).

To be honest, I've got a few servers knocking around that I could probably set up some script to record every day from 6.30 to 10 via ffmpeg or something (haven't dabbled with command line *nix tools in a while so it may be a different programme!)
James H wrote:
VirginMediaPhil wrote:Even though the bitrate is awful, should someone still record the DAB stream just in case? Or is there anyone on here who can get a decent reception through FM that could record it? (I'm not in an FM area).

To be honest, I've got a few servers knocking around that I could probably set up some script to record every day from 6.30 to 10 via ffmpeg or something (haven't dabbled with command line *nix tools in a while so it may be a different programme!)

I'm just thinking about the first day where the internet stream might go down, but I may be overestimating how many people listen that way.
JayE wrote:Xfm have been known to be quite touchy with their content (euphemism?), about 4 years ago they pulled all The Ricky Gervais Xfm shows (edited) from Pilkipedia.

They didn't pull the Adam and Joe Xfm shows from ten years ago. They are still available online as far as I know.
That's a good point. I'm nearly within FM range of 104.9, but Maidstone is probably just too far away to get a decent FM signal!

As for Freeview, the current XFM website says that due to costs of being on Freeview (bandwidth is at a big premium) they won't be on there and have no plans to. This could change with Global's multi-million pound budget for Radio X of course!