Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By The Deadly
Horrible news about that little lad being found dead in Scotland. How the * can you kill a three year old child??? It makes me feel physically sick. Incidents like this justify a death penalty. Prison is too good for whoever did this.
By Yudster
Deadly, you are 100% correct (even though I don't support the death penalty I can't argue that cases like this couldn't justify it). The revulsion is only made worse by the indications that his mum was responsible. From what's been published today it looks like the whole story that was initially given was a crock of shit. He was one of twins too, how is his twin sister going to cope? It all just gets horribler and horribler.
By Topher
They didn't say what she was charged with (only that she was charged "in connection with his death") until the court appearance, but it is indeed a murder charge. You have to be careful what you say - regardless of the remoteness of the possibility of someone connected with the trial reading what's on here, it is still a possibility that something on here could be deemed to prejudice the trial.

What an awful, dreadful thing to happen to a child though - really there aren't words.
By The Deadly
I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out the police acted too slowly in treating the mother as a potential suspect. I doubt very much they did but it would be awful to find out they wasted time believing a three year old child dressed itself and left their house all on their own. I'm not sure if the official police line of "there's no evidence of criminality" was just to lure the mother into a false sense of security.
By Yudster
It was that specific comment, combined with the unbelievability of the apparent story, which made me sure from moment 1 that the police were indeed looking very carefully at the mother.
By Nicola_Red
I know, I'm so shocked. Something about drug and alcohol related deaths always really touches me. I think it's having an addictive personality - I didn't even know he had been an addict, but I just get this sudden rush of empathy. Anyway, yeah, he was a great actor. RIP.
By The Deadly
Without wanting to sound deliberately callous I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who die in this way. That's not to say it isn't sad though. If you inject herion then you're playing with fire. It's a lifestyle choice.
By Nicola_Red
Well yeah, when people are adults, they know the risks. It's understanding addiction as a disease that is the crucial thing.
By dimtimjim
Does this mean the trains will get better now?
By Topher
Well I think it's sad - I agree with what Ken Livingstone said: "His members are one of the few groups of working class people who have still got well paid jobs." He stood up for his members passionately. He's also Boris' worst enemy, ergo a good bloke.
Last edited by Topher on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chrysostom
I'd bide my time to see who replaces him.

The thing is, this could mean a softer (more diplomatic) touch coming in that could actually lead to progressive discussions between unions & government (perish the thought!) - or it could mean one of his disciples could step up and raise the stakes, widening the gap of understanding & expectation.

His experience meant he'd know how far he could push it without losing the majority of public sympathy - but someone more gung ho could easily overplay their hand in an attempt to make a statement.
By Topher
I want to echo what Yudster said (she might put it on here anyway, but...)

"Controversial character but huigely important in terms of employment rights and keeping employment legislation balanced and not tipped totally in favour of the employer like it mostly is in America."

"Trades Unions are organisations that every employed person in theis country owes a huge debt to whether they know it or not."
By Yudster
You could have edited out my typos....
By Nicola_Red
Fashion designer L'Wren Scott has been found dead at her home, aged 49. I just heard it on whatever crappy commercial radio station we have on in the office and they didn't even say her name, only identifying her as "the girlfriend of Mick Jagger". Ugh.
By Topher
I'd never heard of her, but the Star, Mirror and Mail ran the same particularly classy* photo on it the other day:

* by which I mean completely tasteless.
Last edited by Topher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Friday and Saturday shows are up, and Friday plati[…]