Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By The Deadly
JayE wrote:
The Deadly wrote:Do you understand it properly?

It's not really hard to grasp to be honest. Yes I do understand it and I'm enjoying it a huge amount.

Oh by the way the girlfriend did it. Sorry if that ruins things for you.
By Nicola_Red
Anyone else watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine? I quite like it so far. It's a bit Scrubs-esque in style and as we've previously discussed I had issues with Scrubs, but still pretty funny.
By dimtimjim
Seen a bit of it Nic, what I saw was funny enough...
By Bruvva
Nicola_Red wrote:Anyone else watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine? I quite like it so far. It's a bit Scrubs-esque in style and as we've previously discussed I had issues with Scrubs, but still pretty funny.

Yeah, saw the first couple of episodes. Won't bother with the rest. Just not for me I think.

I'm in a bit of a tv wasteland at the moment, there's not a lot about that I'm that bothered about watching.
By Topher
New series of Outnumbered started last night! I've not seen it yet... I suspect it must be the last, they must all be looking quite grown up now.
By Badger Mark
Nicola_Red wrote:Anyone else watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine? I quite like it so far. It's a bit Scrubs-esque in style and as we've previously discussed I had issues with Scrubs, but still pretty funny.

Don't watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but your Scrubs comment caught my eye. The first time I ever heard Chris and Dave talk about Scrubs I was really struck by how much they hated that show. I didn't get the vitriol toward it. My wife and I really enjoyed the first several seasons of it - we both thought it was pretty funny in a goofy kind of way. Eventually we gave up on it though because the network it was on here in the US kept shifting it around in the schedule and we couldn't keep track of it.
By Bonanzoid

What issues did you have with Scrubs? Personally I love it, I've definitely seen each episode many, many times. I'm pretty sad.
By JayE
I love Scrubs, I've got every series on DVD apart from series 9 of course, I can't believe they made another series after ending it on series 8 and giving the last episode of series 8 the best possible ending. It really was just a way to cash in and for that reason I will never watch it.
By Bonanzoid
JayE wrote:I love Scrubs, I've got every series on DVD apart from series 9 of course, I can't believe they made another series after ending it on series 8 and giving the last episode of series 8 the best possible ending. It really was just a way to cash in and for that reason I will never watch it.

Bill Lawrence didn't want to make another season, but was forced to by the network I think. He tried to change the name from Scrubs, but wasn't allowed to do that either. That's why it's Scrubs:Med School. Obviously season 9 isn't as good as the other 8, but it's still better than a lot of pish you can see on TV.
By The Deadly
I've said it before somewhere here that Scrubs is the only Anerican comedy series I've liked. I can see it coming back with the original cast at some point for a one off show.
By Topher
bmstinton93 wrote:It started on Wednesday, but yes, definitely the last and Karen looks completely different!

She does - it was Vintage Outnumbered though, brilliant.

flyingbadger wrote:PEDANTIC MOTHER *!!!!

Haha - I couldn't really call him out for that, could I?!
By Nicola_Red
Bonanzoid wrote:

What issues did you have with Scrubs? Personally I love it, I've definitely seen each episode many, many times. I'm pretty sad.

It was mainly the way the characters were drawn - so many tired old stereotypes, particularly the women. There wasn't a single female character I felt was nuanced or complex - they were all just caricatures. I appreciate that a lot of TV shows suffer from this, but something about the way they did it in Scrubs really irritated me. My former flatmate used to watch it on a loop, so I've seen all the episodes several times, and the more I saw them the more irritated I got by it. To be fair I didn't really find it funny either, but that wasn't anywhere near as much of an issue. And the way the writers made a huge deal about the 8th series being the end and then just let themselves be bought out to make another was also kind of laughable.
By Nicola_Red
Yeah, I guess so. Would you say that's the case with a lot of TV shows? (I'm not sure what I think, so genuinely asking.)
By chrysostom
Less so than Scrubs (although Community, TBBT & Friends would be on a par) - always worth wheeling out this (originally from Char):

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/9-re ... same-show/

I think sitcoms in general require the main characters to be a collection of often expressed traits as usually there's only 22 minutes to express their personality, and it's usually mindless escapism!
By Nicola_Red
Interesting. I've still never watched Community - despite wanting to, it's one of those things I've just never got round to. I agree to an extent about TBBT, but I have to admit I've never thought about Friends in that way - perhaps cos when I watched it originally I was 19 and not really thinking about such things. I can't say why it bothered me so much about Scrubs, though. It's something I need to consider further - well, maybe not need :)
By chrysostom
In other sitcom related chat - I'm just about to watch the last episode of Arrested development, having watched all 4 series this month.

I can't believe I didn't watch this years ago.
By Bonanzoid
chrysostom wrote:In other sitcom related chat - I'm just about to watch the last episode of Arrested development, having watched all 4 series this month.

I can't believe I didn't watch this years ago.

As a newcomer, how'd you find season 4 in comparison with the others?
By Badger Mark
Watched the 3rd of the latest series of Sherlock. A pretty crazy episode. Very curious to see how they're going to explain what happened at the very end.

Has there ever been an explanation why they're only doing 3 episodes at a time? Is it just an issue of Cumberbatch and Freeman wanting short commitment times so they can do other things? I understand the seasons for a given show don't run anywhere near as long as they do here in the US (although there are signs that that is starting to change a bit), but is 3 unusual?
By Topher
Three is unusual, I don't think it's down to Freeman and Cumberbatch, because they were far less wanted when Sherlock started and they've always done the three episodes. I suspect it's a combination of having 90 minute episodes (it's a BBC production, so they are 90 minutes with no ad breaks remember) and keeping people wanting for more.