Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
Yudster wrote:What do people think of this? I mean, I don't need anything that will take more than two people and a bag or one person and two bags! I've heard these things are very cheap to run, and really good fun.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306297552500/sort/default/usedcars/make/smart/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/co39uf/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/20?logcode=p

25p = £2,600 these days? :D
I was being a little extravagant. However I have decided I do want to have one of those one day. As far as second cars go, I think it has the best of both worlds - including the fact that Mr Yudster would never fit in it so he wouldn't ruin it with his terrible driving!

And I completely agree, nothing at all wrong with a little Corsa - one of my favourite cars to drive.
Ok - a colleague at work has recently been given a company car and is selling his 00 plate 1.6 litre Megane. Until recently it was his only car, used for work (and he has to drive more than most) so I know it is reliable. He reckons he has only ever once had to pay anything to get it through its MOT, and servicing is also cheap. On a run, driving carefully, he says he can get 50mpg out of it too. It has about 80,000 on the clock overall (although my colleague has put the majority of that on it in the last 5 years). I know its been well looked after, and my colleague is keen for me to have it because he "wants it to go to a good home" - bless him.

Its due service, MOT and tax, all of which my colleague says he will do - and for this he will accept £600. I wouldn't be happy buying a car of this age and this kind of price without knowing the background, but in this case I know I can trust it.

Unless anyone here screams NOOOOOOO!!!!, I am going to go for this.

GO!
This is true - but as a stop-gap, short to medium term solution to my very pressing problem, I think I can overlook it.
Yudster wrote:Unless anyone here screams NOOOOOOO!!!!, I am going to go for this.

GO!

I also jest.
£600 after he's MOT'd, serviced and taxed it?!?
* grab it. Even it only gives you a years motoring, it'll still have been a bargain.
And that's a) Badger and b) a response by You Tube - I don't find either of those credible.
Not a clue!
This particular purchase is not aesthetic-dependent. If I was buying a brand new Alfa Romeo then I would probably want to specify a colour - but this is purely a matter of practicality!
Blimey. I didn't realise that the Megane I was buying was a 2 door sport coupe - its a bit laddish for me! A LOT of fun though - and the insurance nowhere near as painful as I was expecting.

I got wheels that I don't have to share with anyone!
Yudster wrote:Blimey. I didn't realise that the Megane I was buying was a 2 door sport coupe - its a bit laddish for me! A LOT of fun though - and the insurance nowhere near as painful as I was expecting.

I got wheels that I don't have to share with anyone!

Oooh a coupe? My friend owned a couple of them. I had the misfortune of sitting in the back once, I vowed never to do it again, they have SO LITTLE legroom in the rear! Worse than my Celica!
Yes, the rear seats do NOT look inviting! Still, it will only be me and Baby Yudster in there mostly and he is tall enough for the front.
Am in France at moment, well, actually just waiting of ferry back, but... while away my car has passed through the 250, 000 mile barrier! Whoop!

Congrats on the new wheels Yuds.
nope. it is considered 'the norm' to make some attempt to get track bikes to look like they have a race livery... Personally I'm not bothered and will be making a few decal changes before the first outing as 'my' bike.
Ha! Yes, quite sure Ducky. The 58 on the front also says 'RIP Simoncelli' with it in reference to a MotoGP rider who lost his life a few years back. The 21 is a reference to a notorious Kawasaki rider - John Hopkins.

But these things are exactly what I was referring to when I replied to Toph that minor changes would be made.
Ah... How things change. The work-horse is due to be replaced...

Since passing the 250,000 mile mark a few weeks back in France, I have decided to draw a line in the sand on spending money on her. With tax due, 4 new tyres needed and a couple of other minor things building up, I figured the £1000 or so that'd cost might be better spent on a deposit for a new car.

So, since I no longer do 1000 miles a week, I'm leaving LPG behind and making the switch to diesel - pick up the new(ish) car on Saturday!

Excited, and nervous, in equal measure! Gonna shudder the first time I fill the tank...
Sorry to barge in on your thread, but I was seeking some pointers if any of you lovely car people would mind assisting?

Basically, I'm trying to get a wee car for as little money as possible. I've only been in the new job a month so I'm still awaiting my first full pay cheque, but its location is annoyingly tricky without a car. I was looking at Gumtree and there are some cheap cars available, but I'm obviously wary about the quality. Is there anything in particular I should look out for? Making sure it's MOT'd and probably taxed is all I'm looking out for at the moment, bar the "spare or repairs" notices that crop up now and again.

Any tips/pointers shall be rewarded with a gold star, and much gratitude.