Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Bruvva
The musical world is littered with bands who had fantastic debut albums and burned brightly before becoming dreadful.

Stereophonics, blinding first album and then it all went a bit wrong.

UB40, "signing off" is great but, lordy, did they go downhill.

The Streets, "Original Pirate Material" was genuinely good but, my word...after that...

So - any others? and are there bands who started badly and got better?
By Bruvva
Awful band. Saw em at Wembley once, nearly fell asleep, but noticed Phil Spector was sitting just behind me. No, he didn't murder anyone.
By Topher
Bruvva wrote:Stereophonics, blinding first album and then it all went a bit wrong.

I'd argue Performance and * was genuinely good before it went downhill and in that regard, Oasis did the same thing after What's the Story.
By Nicola_Red
Red Hot Chili Peppers, last good in 1999, and Foo Fighters, last good in 2004.
By Boboff
Lilly Allen
Mumford & Sons
Vampire Weekend
Rizzle Kicks
Kieser Chiefs
Amy Winehouse
Paulo Natini

* there are lots!

(although I know technically some are the 2nd Album released) Unlike Adele who came to the fore with her 2nd Album, which meant the first one was given bigger exposure, and was good as well.

See how uncool I am!
By Bruvva
Heh, was just looking that up. Second's released in September.
By Bruvva
The Deadly wrote:Honourable mention for Franz Ferdinand. They are still the worst band I have ever seen live, including amateur bands.

Cornershop by far the worst for me, saw them at ULU and I've never seen a less interested band perform, the clearly realised that everyone was there for "Brimful of Asha" and nothing else (and let's face it, that was a fatboy slim track in its single form).
By The Deadly
If they played in tune then they have one up on Franz Ferdinand. If it was a festival I might be less harsh on them because the sound can be a bit screwy sometimes but I saw them playing at their own gig. I was embarrassed to be involved in it.
By Nicola_Red
chrysostom wrote:Lostprophets...

...awkward.

Mr Red has been asked not to play them in his DJ set anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about that really - I don't think the actions of the artist should affect the art, but on the other hand it's hard to listen to them without thinking unpleasant things now.
By The Deadly
charlalottie wrote:Nope, they were definitely singing. It might have helped that the venue was really tiny so it made the atmosphere better than a lot of gigs but they still put in a really good performance. I remember their support act was horrific though.

To be fair to them I saw them very shortly after the release of their first album so they would have would have improved with time.

Don't get me going on support acts. Until you've had to endure Justin Hawkins and his new band Hot Leg you have nothing to complain about. There was a universal groan from the audience when we realised it was him.
By chrysostom
Nicola_Red wrote:Mr Red has been asked not to play them in his DJ set anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about that really - I don't think the actions of the artist should affect the art, but on the other hand it's hard to listen to them without thinking unpleasant things now.

I think it's quite difficult with proceedings still ongoing - right now, their songs have an immediate unpleasant association. In a few years it won't be so embedded into the public consiousness
By Yudster
The Killers. Absolutely brilliant first album then they turned to a steaming pile of turd.
By The Deadly
Yudster wrote:The Killers. Absolutely brilliant first album then they turned to a steaming pile of turd.

That album is really old now. You must have listened to it when you were young.
By chrysostom
The Deadly wrote:
Yudster wrote:The Killers. Absolutely brilliant first album then they turned to a steaming pile of turd.

If Yuds was young in 2003, that would make her 39 at the most - that's a fraction of her age!

that fraction is 1/3
By The Deadly
chrysostom wrote:
The Deadly wrote:

If Yuds was young in 2003, that would make her 39 at the most - that's a fraction of her age!

that fraction is 1/3

Oh come on! Smile like you mean it.
By Bonanzoid
The Deadly wrote:Great topic.

I'd like to nominate Incubus who massively sold out after their great album Science and I'll also nominate Keane.

Disagree with Incubus, Morning View and Make Yourself were both amazing. After that, not so sure.

As for Franz Ferdinand, they're just awful. Absolutely awful.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]