Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Bruvva

I'll just leave this here.
By Wykey
charlalottie wrote:Wow, someone put some effort into that!
Well unsurprisingly, I'm very happy at today's news.

I think it's great news, Mourinho's a superb manager and I have huge admiration for him.
By Bruvva
The U21 european tournament was a resounding failure for England then. Really not sure what the problem is, is it the coach, the players or the fact that a good number of eligible players were suddenly "injured" prior to the tournament?
By Yudster
Is there an element of young English players not getting a look in at top teams due to the proliferation of overseas players? Is it somehow cheaper for teams to buy in talent from abroad than develop it over time at home?
By Wykey
Yudster wrote:Is there an element of young English players not getting a look in at top teams due to the proliferation of overseas players? Is it somehow cheaper for teams to buy in talent from abroad than develop it over time at home?

I think it depends on the team - Everton for example have had to rely on the ability to sell our best players in order to survive - so developing good young English players has been absolutely essential.

I think there are probably more clubs like Everton than there are like Man City (in terms of recent development of youth players) and so while the idea of English players not getting a chance, and somehow being lost to the game seems to make sense logically (you can see a cause and effect) I just don't think it's true - I think that the comparatively best players will always come through, if for no other reason than it makes financial sense.

We've only been buying in cheap young players from the continent for the last 15-20 years (at the very most), but we've been rubbish internationally for 40 years.

I think we've isolated ourselves and fallen for the media propaganda and hype - the "best league in the world" featuring "England's Golden generation" and featuring "great" players isn't the best league in the world, doesn't feature a golden generation and doesn't have truly great players.

Personally I think the reasons are coaching - we favour big strong lads who can run all day over technically skilful players who might (at the age of 12) be a bit flighty and lack concentration.
By chrysostom
Wykey wrote:we favour big strong lads who can run all day over technically skilful players who might (at the age of 12) be a bit flighty and lack concentration.

I remember reading this a while ago, and a lot of people said it's a product of children playing on full sized pitches - meaning a long ball style becomes natural in order to prevent over exertion. The FA has made a major change recently (here: http://www.thefa.com/my-football/player ... ent-review) in order to try and combat this.

I think part of our problem at all levels is a lack of diversity in the type of football our players play. Barely any English players ply their trades abroad (comparitively), or know how to play against different styles of football.
By dimtimjim
^^wot he sed

EDIT: doh, that'll learn me for being lazy and not quoting and editing...
By chrysostom
Joe Kinnear.

The man is an unpleasant throwback, and an oaf. I find his latest ramblings so irritating - the fact that he's to be employed by a premier league club is astounding.
By The Deadly
He thinks he is hilarious. Getting players names wrong on purpose isn't funny and it is probably really insulting for the players concerned. He is another one of those managers who live their lives in some kind of time warp and I'd have massive respect for Alan Pardew if he told the board to stick their job.
By Bruvva
Carroll off to West Ham for £2.50 and a half eaten mars bar or summat. Liverpool interested in some fey attacking midfielder who will make Downing look effective. Close season is RUBBISH.
By Bruvva

This has amused me for the moment anyway.
By Bruvva
Hurrah! Fixtures!

Arsenal v Aston Villa
Chelsea v Hull
Crystal Palace v Tottenham
Liverpool v Stoke
Man City v Newcastle
Norwich v Everton
Sunderland v Fulham
Swansea v Man Utd
West Brom v Southampton
West Ham v Cardiff
By The Deadly
Bruvva wrote:Hurrah! Fixtures!

Arsenal v Aston Villa
Chelsea v Hull
Crystal Palace v Tottenham
Liverpool v Stoke
Man City v Newcastle
Norwich v Everton
Sunderland v Fulham
Swansea v Man Utd
West Brom v Southampton
West Ham v Cardiff

Soon all to be rearranged by Sky Sports.
By Bruvva
Mancs away at Swansea will be moved undoubtedly. No idea what BT will do with the fixtures they get.
By DevilsDuck
If Moyes doesnt get 15 points from his first 5 games he should be sacked!
By Bruvva
I'm kinda hoping he continues the "failing to win a game at Anfield" thing he's got going if I'm honest.
By Yudster
Robbie Cowling is being very quiet in the close season. I wish he'd sell the club to someone with some ambition, who understands that the be all and end all to running a football club is more than just having a balance sheet in the black.
By chrysostom
Bruvva wrote:I'm kinda hoping he continues the "failing to win a game at Anfield" thing he's got going if I'm honest.

It's going to be pretty sweet for him if he beats you guys at home.