Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Nicola_Red
So on Chris' suggestion, I've split this stuff into its own thread rather than keep clogging up the smile one. Feel free to share your own wedding experiences, thoughts, suggestions, etc...

I have a question. Do people think pizza is a good idea for a wedding reception? I don't want a boring old sit down meal or trays of wilting sandwiches. It's easy to arrange vegan options and I'll be happy enough with my omni guests having meat on theirs cos they'll be separate pizzas and no cross-contamination (unlike with trays of food). And I'd quite like something like sundaes or sweets as well - basically, I'd like everyone to eat like it's their 12th birthday. If you were a guest, would you be happy with that?
By Topher
I am very much from the school of thought that you do what you want and the guests should be happy because it's your day. Basically, don't worry what the guests think, it's your day.
By Nicola_Red
I do think that, but my mother will whine endlessly if the food is all vegan, and there is a part of me that agrees with her even though spending my money on meat is kind of dodgy ethically for me.
By chrysostom
It depends what kind of vibe you're going for really.

Any food would be appropriate for a wedding as long as it's within context of the impression that you're trying to give. I think that most guests at a wedding would just want to be fed often, with a bit of booze.

The only problem I could see is that some Pizza looks very cheap/floppy which might be unappealing, but Topher's right - ultimately you should be happy with the outcome. If meeting the expectation of others is part of your outcome (like it would be with me) then it's a very different task!

However meat eaters tend to get grumpy if there's no meat.
By The Deadly
It's your wedding so you can do what you like as far as I'm concerned. What I would suggest is maybe have some fish and chips, Indian food and burgers so you have a bit of variety.
By Nicola_Red
chrysostom wrote:It depends what kind of vibe you're going for really.

Any food would be appropriate for a wedding as long as it's within context of the impression that you're trying to give. I think that most guests at a wedding would just want to be fed often, with a bit of booze.

The only problem I could see is that some Pizza looks very cheap/floppy which might be unappealing, but Topher's right - ultimately you should be happy with the outcome. If meeting the expectation of others is part of your outcome (like it would be with me) then it's a very different task!

However meat eaters tend to get grumpy if there's no meat.

Exactly, and I don't want grumpy guests, or indeed a grumpy husband. I want a fairly laid-back and informal vibe, and it's likely that the reception won't actually be on the same day as the ceremony - it's more like a party that we're referring to as the reception for ease - so people won't have been sat in a church with their stomachs rumbling for hours or anything. But no, meeting expectations is not really part of my outcome. Well, apart from people having a good time generally I s'pose.

The Deadly wrote:It's your wedding so you can do what you like as far as I'm concerned. What I would suggest is maybe have some fish and chips, Indian food and burgers so you have a bit of variety.

Yeah, variety is good. Don't wanna end up having to go to several caterers and end up spending a fortune though! Not that I've priced anything up - I'm merely bouncing ideas around at this stage.
By chrysostom
With all parties, I like the idea of theme/continuity - for me I think it's important to have that with food & decor (so that all the food 'matches'), but I'm extremely particular about everything when it comes to party planning!
By Nicola_Red
My theme is "we're getting married, let's make it nice" :) I've never really planned a party before, so I'm kind of making it up as I go along. I have had a few vague ideas about decor, but nothing specific yet.
By neilt0
Nicola_Red wrote:Sorry. I'm taking a lot of hayfever tablets.

ETA: I have a question. Do people think pizza is a good idea for a wedding reception? I don't want a boring old sit down meal or trays of wilting sandwiches. It's easy to arrange vegan options and I'll be happy enough with my omni guests having meat on theirs cos they'll be separate pizzas and no cross-contamination (unlike with trays of food). And I'd quite like something like sundaes or sweets as well - basically, I'd like everyone to eat like it's their 12th birthday. If you were a guest, would you be happy with that?

A friend of mine got married in a huge stately home/castle. She's not a fan of high-falutin' food though, so the wedding food was stuff like bangers and mash, fish and chips etc. I think the wedding cake was a chocolate cake. It was great!
By Nicola_Red
I've had some thoughts about the decoration of the cake, but not the flavour yet. I have found a little independent baker that has experience in making vegan cakes, so that's a good start.
By Boboff
I agree, plan it like it's the party that you will enjoy most, and do what you want to do. Personally if Hubby is okay with it, I would make it 100% vegan.

In my experience of parents, and us feeling like they will Tut and moan, if it's actually what you want I think generally they come up with positive expressions in the end, especially if they have a great time, and frankly if they are going to moan, making sure they have a meat feast isn't going to change a damm thing, they'll moan about having Pizza, rather than proper food!

But they won't, they will be just fine I am sure.

If you don't have to pay for the food, then you don't get a say. What you offer your guests should reflect you, and that's Vegan Pizza, Vegan Jelly & Soya Cream!

It's all rather exciting!

We got married in our local pub, and although I did it on the cheap, as OH's Daddy was a but backward in coming forward stumping any cash, it was by all accounts one of the best weddings people had attended (Yes my Dad said that! Amaze balls)
By Nicola_Red
Yeah, finances have not been discussed with my parents yet. We're sort of assuming we'll be paying ourselves and anything they offer is a bonus. I'm quite keen to have the reception here at work, I've worked on some group bookers events in our biggest function room and it's lovely, plus 25% discount :)
By DevilsDuck
Boboff wrote: as OH's Daddy was a but backward in coming forward stumping any cash

How very dare you...you should have more respect for your father-in-law
By Misfit
The receptions I DJ at vary massively. One venue puts on beef sandwiches (which are lovely) but then has a vegetarian/vegan option as well. Others just do a plain old buffet (which I hate) and one used to do barbecues. You need to remember that although its your day, your guests need something to munch as well. My offer still stands by the way unless Mr Red is playing :)
By catherine
We fell a bit short for our evening buffet so we opted for the cheap bacon, pork and veg sausages, chip and baps. One thing, which being vegan you might hate, which always goes down well at all the parties I've been to is a hog roast. Some companies even cook it, slice it and bring it in trays along with baps and apple sauce all ready for guests to help themselves to. Curries always go down well too, I think I'd rather eat a vegetable curry than a vegan pizza, especially if it is a sweet potato, spinach and chick pea curry. Nom.

It's our wedding anniversary on Sunday, goes quick.
By Nicola_Red
chrysostom wrote:I'm just imagining Nic in tears, vomiting at her own Wedding due to a whole dead pig being wheeled out on a metal rod.

Yeah, that's pretty much what would happen. When I walk past them on the Christmas markets I have to shield my eyes :) The problem with stuff like curry is that some of my family are very traditional British eaters and wouldn't like it. I'd love it though.
By Yudster
Nicola_Red wrote:My theme is "we're getting married, let's make it nice" :) I've never really planned a party before, so I'm kind of making it up as I go along. I have had a few vague ideas about decor, but nothing specific yet.

If you are actually getting married in Vegas (which you mentioned before was your plan), then I think a "trash American" theme for the at-home party is great, and pizza is well in that scope. Also, think of the fun you can have veganising all the other aspects of a classic American pig-out!

Yes, if its what you want, I would definitely go 100% vegan - you never know, you might manage to surprise a few people who think they can't survive without meat. And never underestimate the power of alcohol and music to ensure that people have a great time at a party, even if they are a bit confused by the food.

Its your party and you can fry (tofu) if you want to.
By Topher
A good band is great to get people going - but can be expensive. We had a great band for £800 (got them down from £900 with DJ included). Personally glad we went with that rather than just a DJ.
By Nicola_Red
I have had thoughts about a band, but I can't decide if I'd want that or not. My brother played with his own band during his wedding reception, which I thought was really cool and broke it up nicely, but as they were 'rock' I sensed some of the older guests not really enjoying it. I dunno, I need to give that some more thought.

The Vegas theme thing is definitely something we could run with, and I've seen a few companies on Etsy that make Vegas-themed invitations and whatnot. My brother and sister in law bought me a wedding planning notebook, so I think I need to start writing stuff down! My Pinterest board is just full of dresses and shoes :)