Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Yudster
Happy birthday Ben!
By Nicola_Red
I already tweeted - but happy birthday Ben :)
By dimtimjim
How do I keep missing these threads?!

Happy birthday wee-Benji. Lots o love x
By bmstinton93
I now feel like I want to leave the site after the mistreatment I have received on my birthday, well unless of course I get offered a better contract to stay.
By Topher
Bye then...
By dimtimjim
Mine was missed too (lack of Yuddles about), but no need to blub about it. :cry:

Many happy returns, I hope you got another year wiser.
By The Deadly
bmstinton93 wrote:I now feel like I want to leave the site after the mistreatment I have received on my birthday, well unless of course I get offered a better contract to stay.

Will you stay in return for more money and an ambassadorial role?
By Topher
I got it - mainly because of Matt on Simon Mayo's show - I was just saying what I thought whatsisface's club should have said to him.
By chrysostom
'Wave goodbye' to a £25m asset (who could only be sold for significantly less than his market value) who is contracted to the club on such a high wage, that breaking his contract would cost over £40m. Don't think that one works!
By Topher
Why would it be breaking his contract, he is the one who would have chosen to go.
By chrysostom
Short of retiring, footballers aren't able to suddenly terminate their contract of employment with an agreed notice period.

The complex issues surrounding their image rights & value to the company (not to mention the initial investment in acquiring the player's rights) make it impossible for a valuable player to leave their club without their club's consent. Unless they are able to enact the Webster Ruling

If Toure was to use the Webster ruling in April 2014, he'd likely need to pay the club around £22.4m in wages due - along with a percentage of his initial transfer fee.
By bmstinton93
But if a player is so unhappy anyway then the club usually just gives in and lets them go, although I wish they wouldn't and just leave them on the sidelines instead
By chrysostom
'Lets them go' where?

There are 3 parties involved in any transfer. The buying club, the selling club & the player. In this case there's no club who would pay a market value fee AND come close to matching his wages (and when that comes close to £250k per week, there's not much . That's why he's whoring himself out to Barcelona & PSG.

Even if he was sacked for gross misconduct, upon signing elsewhere he'd immediately owe Man City money (see: Mutu). Unless Toure is willing to take a giant pay cut, or join a non-elite club (see: Russian), he's not going anywhere.

ps. Sorry for the Football Thread crossover.
By bmstinton93
I was thinking along the lines of Carlos Tevez when I made that point. I'm pretty sure he was still in contract at Man United when he successfully moved to Man City as requested.
By Topher
All that is well and good, but I think that sort of doesn't change what I was saying - if him leaving would leave him indebted to the club, then the club is all the more likely to be able to say "go * yourself, I wouldn't shake the hand of such a petulant prick" without anything bad coming of it from their point of view, right? The fact that he's not actually able to terminate his contract without owing them a lot of money means they don't have to play into his hands.

Friday and Saturday shows are up, and Friday plat[…]