Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
Topher wrote:I'm pretty sure it wasn't dented - he's only talking about paintwork, reckons he has someone who always does his paintwork.

It depends on the type of paint. I'm a tad colour blind but if that's pearlescent black it's a bloody nightmare to match. If it's flat black it should be easy, and metallic is kind of in the middle of the two!
James H wrote:Insurance companies definitely wouldn't use someone like BMW though

Mine did.

Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but I'd probably be snapping his hand off at £280. If that gets taken to a dealer bodyshop you can probably double it, but then I suppose it's probably worth involving the insurance so matters less.

When an old car of mine rolled down a hill without me in it, it hit a tree, they are far less expensive - I recommend that next time. Also Freelanders are built for driving into trees so it doesn't matter much.
I agree, £280 seems cheap, especially given that you will have to pay an excess (£150?) and you might loose your no claims.

It is an absolute pisser mind, be honest with him about not having the money straight away, it's as much of a fag for him to claim on your insurance though his as anything else.

I bet Cat is * savage!
boboff wrote:It is an absolute pisser mind, be honest with him about not having the money straight away, it's as much of a fag for him to claim on your insurance though his as anything else.

True, but he reckons it's as good as sold.
Toph, £280 sounds about right I'm afraid. Sorry to hear ya news mate, that is a shitter. Do your best to sort it without insurance getting involved, will cost way more than that over next 5 years while you have a claim on record.
Topher wrote:Even with protected no claims?

You will still have to declare the claim come renewal time (and every renewal for 4 years after that one), even if your NCB is in-tact.
Bastards... so the only time protected no claims is any good is six years after?!
Topher wrote:Bastards... so the only time protected no claims is any good is six years after?!

Well you'll still get the no claims discount, but the claim would probably increase the premium too
I've stopped bothering to protect my no claims - it costs a LOT and it had no appreciable effect on my premiums, they still shot up far more than they had any right to every year whether I had made a claim or not.
Lottie don't do it.

1. You will be charged £25 plus loose rounding down premium
2. Until your current claim is settled and finished and you are shown as 100% without blame the claim will be on your file.
3. 2 being the case other premiums will be higher.

Keep calm, even though they are shite, get it sorted out, then at the next renewal take your renewal to the market and get another insurer.

IMO...
While we're on the subject of car misery, I need to replace mine. It's starting to fall to pieces.

It currently needs:
- a wheel bearing (which in turn requires a new ABS sensor)
- new clutch
- new dual mass flywheel
- new windscreen

In addition to all this:
- the gearbox whines in 5th and 6th
- the turbo is whistling more than it used to (VNT vanes are prone to failure on this particular turbo so that's ALARM BELLS right there)
- the engine is starting to leak oil
Hey James, saw this and thought of you...

Driving round Leicestershire the other day, I saw a household which had, amazingly, FIVE Toyota MR2's on the drive! One up on bricks with a few panels missing, one looking complete but sat on flat tyres, and the other 3 looking fully mobile and in various states of 'dress' with the addition of body kits...

T'was most perverse! :wink:
dimtimjim wrote:Hey James, saw this and thought of you...

Driving round Leicestershire the other day, I saw a household which had, amazingly, FIVE Toyota MR2's on the drive! One up on bricks with a few panels missing, one looking complete but sat on flat tyres, and the other 3 looking fully mobile and in various states of 'dress' with the addition of body kits...

T'was most perverse! :wink:

FIVE?! Amazing. I still miss mine!

I'm actually looking at the Celica 190's right now to replace the Almera!
James H wrote:I'm gonna say it. I hate old Minis.

Deadly? You must just be saying that to be an ARSE!

Our second car is 1999 Mini Cooper Sport, its British racing green and its amazing...

I bet it would beat your car off the line!

and my dad is better than yours
I'm not just saying it, I've just never really "got" them.

I have no doubt it's bloody quick off the line, but it's also bare inside. I like a few gizmos I guess!

And my dad is a c**t, so yes, that last bit is certainly true! :)

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]