The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By DarroM
northernsteve wrote:How many times did they play Hey Ya by Outkast in that first week? Seems to have been on every day.

Oh it gets worse! Songs like Jamelia's Thank You & Natasha Bedingfield's These Words were played every day it seemed for a couple of weeks when they were on the playlist. At least they played songs from a wider time span back then rather than the last 6 months or so nowadays!
By jamiec21
Tunster wrote:Just listening to todays replay... "Let's get fit and get dancing" clip from Jade Goody is hilarious. CM didn't take long to get into the breakfast show groove.

I loved that. There was a time a few years later when they used to play that clip every day and just laugh at it, wish I knew when it was, it's too vague a subject to be referenced in any of the running orders.
By GarethH
Am I being totally blind, or has the link to listen to a streamable version of the replay show gone (ie, not through the RSS feed)? Last week it was there on the front page all week, but now I can't find it at all.
By Nicola_Red
I've come to the uncomfortable conclusion that I don't really like 2004 Chris. The way he refers to women on a daily basis is really insulting and it's just annoying me. I have no idea why I thought this was okay in 2004. Maybe I need to skip ahead a year...
By DarroM
Yeah, it is not going to get any better for you then Nicola. He still does it a bit in 2005 from what I've listened to but not to the extent he did in 2004 with his "top-heavy lovelies" and "major piece of ass" sayings etc. I am getting closer to this Drew Barrymore interview where I believe he flirted with her a bit too strongly from what I gather on here.
By Nicola_Red
Flirting is one thing, phrases like "piece of ass" are another. It evidently does get better at some point as I'm still here, but I dunno when...
By Nicola_Red
I'm not sure if that's any better. It's not an experiment.
By The Deadly
It's only offensive to women if you take what he is saying seriously. In my opinion he is saying controversial things because he is on a new show and wants to make a name for himself and get noticed. His style at the time was to be a bit shocking and rude but I honestly think its all tongue in cheek.
By Nicola_Red
neilt0 wrote:To be fair, he does the same thing with men. You didn't hear that? #WimminBlinders?

But I'm not a man, why would I be offended by that? That's for you guys to decide whether it offends you.
By neilt0
Nicola_Red wrote:
neilt0 wrote:To be fair, he does the same thing with men. You didn't hear that? #WimminBlinders?

But I'm not a man, why would I be offended by that? That's for you guys to decide whether it offends you.

Chris was being offensive, to just about everyone. Times have changed, and so has he. I think he was quite rightly criticised for being ignorant and offensive and did change his ways.

That, and the overly P.C. direction the BBC has gone in since SachsGate really neutered TCMS though, which is a shame. You can hear in the 2004 shows that the entire team weren't afraid of what to say. In the latter days, the show is full of pauses and slows down as the team members audibly censor themselves.
By Nicola_Red
I think you're right Neil. I feel like there is a happy medium between the offensive and the overly PC and the show probably achieved that somewhere at its mid-point. I just can't remember exactly when and how the changes occured, y'know? I am clearly not gonna whinge about 2004 Chris, but in the spirit of discussion on this thread, I thought I'd mention that I'm not really comfortable with these shows.

Deadly wrote:So if you feel he is being sexist with his comments about/to women I take it you also feel he is homophobic as he has made jokes aimed at gay people?

I dunno. I think in the early days he bordered on it - but so far I haven't heard anything that made me bristle anywhere NEAR as much as stuff like "piece of ass" and "tarts".
By Tunster
Deadly wrote:It's only offensive to women if you take what he is saying seriously. In my opinion he is saying controversial things because he is on a new show and wants to make a name for himself and get noticed. His style at the time was to be a bit shocking and rude but I honestly think its all tongue in cheek.

Not that I can vouch for meeting him in real life, but of the people I know (including C-Kay on here who is my cousin) who've met him; he's much more down to earth. Especially in comparison to his earlier radio persona. This is why the general written media got their knickers in twist trying to make stories out of small bites.

Back in 2004, I'm sure he got a little head-over-heals with his confidence having been given his dream job and wanted to put his stamp on the show. It cleverly made the show much more exuberating from the off. I don't see why anything he said should be taken offensively from the 2004 shows. I can see why if you're a new listener to the show, Chris is hardly out there to try and upset anybody intentionally. No doubt I preferred Chris' radio persona in the middle years but it was part of his radio act. This is where TV personalities get it all so wrong radio (most of Radio 1 currently!) and where Sachsgate came about because they didn't understand the line. Chris did and wasn't afraid to push it to entertain people.
By chrysostom
I think it might be a culture thing as opposed to a 'Chris' thing. Society today is VERY different to that of 10 years ago - even if it isn't overly apparent. Many social views have changed dramatically in regards to race, gender, sexuality and in many other ways. The show is representative of attitudes of the time - I think it may be the same if we were to watch any other 'live' chat/comedy shows from 2004 (eg. Jonathan Ross).
By Yudster
Deadly wrote:It's only offensive to women if you take what he is saying seriously. In my opinion he is saying controversial things because he is on a new show and wants to make a name for himself and get noticed. His style at the time was to be a bit shocking and rude but I honestly think its all tongue in cheek.

I never found it remotely offensive, but I totally understand why people could.
By jocky85
I think Victoria Beckham actually came across quite well in the interview - not at all how she is portrayed in the press.

Also, I guess it's because they played more songs but there seems more variety on what they play. Think within a week there was 3 different Justin Timberlake tracks

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]