Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
boboff wrote:Doctors in General practice are now paid on average £250k a year, up from £80k. This was basically because someone * up the numbers, the doctos said nothing, and now some can earn over £500k.

Standard GP doctors (excluding private healthcare) who don't do any other work apart from their surgery hours?

Are you sure that's right? - I'm 80% sure that's not the case - it's probably around £60-80k, but I wouldn't say that it would be typical for a standard GP to earn £250k (I could be wrong, I'm just going by family as we've got quite a few GPs & I'm friends with quite a few Doctors). Although if there's any evidence then I'll stand corrected!

edit. I did a bit of research, and it appears GPs who work 40 hours a week at a local surgery with no other commitments can earn between £60k and £110k, depending on area, experience, time served etc.

I know from personal experience that many doctors tend to do a lot more than just their contracted hours working 2 or 3 different jobs, ranging from out of hours assistance (which is basically consultancy & ad-hoc house calls) to putting in a few shifts at the general hospital.

The out of hours work is paid much better, as it's usually between 7pm and 5am and is currently out sourced through private companies, which means that there isn't just a 'standard rate' (unfortunately it means that foreign doctors can undercut ones who have worked in the UK for quite some time in a cost cutting exercise).

I did find this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6157219.stm but it refers to the total earnings of a GP, as opposed to their salary for their role just in the surgery - and takes into account private healthcare, which is much more lucrative. It also doesn't take into account the costs which the doctors have to foot, such as paying the support staff at the surgery, and dealing with administration.

boboff wrote:This was basically because someone * up the numbers, the doctors said nothing.

A huge majority of NHS figures are against the PCT, which distributes money directly to doctors - forcing them to manage administration for their own surgeries. They outsource this, which they pay for individually. The doctors, and the whole NHS has said quite a lot about this.

Sorry for the essay, but I did some work for the PCT early last year, and have been around doctors in a social capacity for most of my life - thought I'd be able to give an alternative view on matters!

ps.
boboff wrote: So on AVERAGE they are paid twice that the Prime Minister is paid.

the PM's basic wage perhaps - doesn't take into account the whole package of being PM.

sorry. i'm done. promise.
The receptionsist at our surgery are brilliant. As helpful as they could be, accommodating and pleasant - and all the while fighting to provide the patients with the best service possible within a completely crap system which has been imposed on them and which doesn't work. But basically if I call my surgery when I or Baby Yudster is unwell, and explain why I need to see a doctor that day, they will find a doctor to see me (or BY) that day. They're brilliant.

However if its not urgent, like something I have lived with for years and never bothered to do anything about, I certainly don't mind having to wait until they can fit me in to one of the extremely limited pre-bookable appointments they are allowed to offer.
My surgery arrange a doc to call you back if you want an on the day slot. They then listen to your symptoms and book you in on the day or not accordingly. It worked well when I had pneumonia
I think basically surgeries split their caseloads into Things That Need/May Need Antibiotics and Things That Don't. If you're on the Don't list you can probably afford to wait a few days. If you do though, waiting's not a good idea at all.
Indeed. Chrys, I think the criteria is you are a Partner in a practice, and it's the amount you make as a partner, not so much as a GP that has gone through the roof, although Accounting wise I not sure how you do it.

I am pleased with the service I get from my GP, they always see the kids on the day, and ask us if it's urgent etc. Receptionists at GP's are a bit funny sometimes though, when Mrs B was booked out of Hospital after her problems, they said to get bloods done in the next 24 hours, so she phoned, and the receptionist asked why they hadn't done them in the hospital! I know it's funny really.

My BIGGEST annoyance though is the moaning. When Mrs B had her op, and given she is a recently qualified Nurse, the care package was good. What I hated was that the 12 other patients that came and went around her, 11 of them just moaned and moaned, and the families moaned and moaned, and it got on my tits. I decied then I would stick up for the NHS as the "fashion" of the Jeremy Kyle generation is to expect top notch care paid for out of their benefits, without any sence to actually try and do something practical to help ( yes all the ones carrying a drip out the front to have a fag!) then coming back for Oxygen........

The NHS isn't perfect I know, but boy it's allot better than any alternative I have seen.
1lb down this week - I have NO idea how, I've been a disgusting pig all week. I need to tighten up though, I'm not committed enough to this yet.
Stayed the same this week unfortunately, crap week :(

Apologies all for the back discussions above, I wasn't slagging off the NHS, apologies if that's the way it came across, I'm not just going for my back have something else I'm more worried about that I'm going to see him about, I don't wish to disclose it here at present. I haven't been to my Doctors for 3 years which is why I'm going to see him about a couple of things.

Anyway apologies for all the heated debate above future posts will be about further weight loss :)
3lbs again, stunned to be honest... I don't understand weight loss.
I ate more and did less which is why I am still exactly where I was 2 weeks ago. I am thrilled it isn't worse.
Well done Boboff! I put on a pound, which I am disappointed about...
It is an odd thing loosing weight.

Have you guys set yourself a goal? target weight? What about incentivising yourself with something when you get to it? I can't speak for others, but something like getting a new phone, or a night out, or a walk in the country or something that you would put off. For me another 21lb and I said I can buy an iPod, another 14lb and I'll look at getting lazer eye surgery. Although having said that the biggest motivation is not being a fat arse!

I don't know, it's all about long term motivation, a weeks a long time in politics, but it's longer when you are on a diet!
Can't afford to be buying things, but my motivation is the wedding! My target is tantalisingly close now - 1lb away last week, 2lbs away now though. Lost a stone and a half so far. Thing is, then I've got to maintain it and how the * do you do that?!
I'd love to be able to motivate myself like that Boboff, but however much weight I lose I still won't be able to afford laser eye surgery!
Indeed, I am lucky in being able to "save" for it. Appreciate that this isn't the case for all. Given I have been spending £70 a week on Alcohol for the last goodness knows how many years, and I have pretty much cut that out for 5 months, I am actually seing a tangible increase in whats left in the current account at the end of the month, oh and I put up Mrs Bob's Housekeeping as well! This week is stopping smoking week! Wednesday................(I haven't even priced up the surgery yet, I assumed from the Adverts its about £1,000 for both eyes?????)
I am really fat at the moment. I hate it but feel totally unmotivated to do anything about it. Its bollocks really.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]