Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
I really like the live cam and find it fascinating what goes on in the studio, but I hope it will never become a permanent thing. I think it was for six weeks a couple of years ago, and that is fine, but no more please. This is radio and not TV, after all. :D
Aled wrote:
richbrown wrote:Aled, is there any chance of doing the whole show on live cam like it has been done before, or is this only happen for interviews now?

Thanks muchly! Rich

Friday's show... there WILL be an announcement...

YAY :D
By Aled
Travis Bickle wrote:This is radio and not TV, after all. :D

Just for a week.. go with this. It's going to be the first time this has been done. Give it a chance. Remember the show is us. New scenarios and places to create new content which we deal with giving us new content.
Aled wrote:
mcmahonman wrote:What is Chris' problem with Munford and Sons? I like the skits he does but he seems to be really anti them recently.

I can't really speak on his behalf.

Should have thought about that before I asked really. Thanks anyway Aled.
By Emmy
Aled, was the upcoming seemingly spontaneously planned trip to Essex really as spontaneous an idea as we are lead to believe? I don't really think there's much point in me asking this question (but I have done anyway), as I highly doubt you'd answer 'no' to it, for understandable reasons. I'm sure it'll make for entertaining radio either way.

I have my own opinion on it, which I doubt will change according to any answer you give tbh, much like I had, and still have, my own opinion on the amazing coincidence of Sara going down so well whilst filling in on the show recently and now being given a week's holiday fill in for the first time ever :wink: I'm not complaining about that either though, that's something I'm really looking forward to!
Aled wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:This is radio and not TV, after all. :D

Just for a week.. go with this. It's going to be the first time this has been done. Give it a chance. Remember the show is us. New scenarios and places to create new content which we deal with giving us new content.

I will go with it. I love it! :) I just dont want it to be permanent, though. I look forward to the weeks worth.
By Aled
Emmy wrote:Aled, was the upcoming seemingly spontaneously planned trip to Essex really as spontaneous an idea as we are lead to believe? I don't really think there's much point in me asking this question (but I have done anyway), as I highly doubt you'd answer 'no' to it, for understandable reasons. I'm sure it'll make for entertaining radio either way.

I have my own opinion on it, which I doubt will change according to any answer you give tbh, much like I had, and still have, my own opinion on the amazing coincidence of Sara going down so well whilst filling in on the show recently and now being given a week's holiday fill in for the first time ever :wink: I'm not complaining about that either though, that's something I'm really looking forward to!

Hi Emmy

We DON'T do fake. We didn't before everyone else made it their policy and we'd be very stupid to start now! We'd start talking about things a few days before we did an event (otherwise having all our projects discussed weeks or months ahead would become very boring - and confusing for our listeners) but they would begin with 'we've decided to go to...' as you'll hear on Friday re the thing we're announcing then.

Essex was first mentioned at 9:25am (off the top of my head) on Monday morning on air, the requests went out to our management, to the BBC in Essex, to Michael McIntyre who's our guest on Friday, to the Live dept to request hotel and transport and to the Operations dept to request an engineer and the equipment we'll need.

We'd had a tentative thumbs up Monday afternoon from everyone except Piers (who was off that day) - hence why we weren't too sure yesterday on air. We've now had the green light so today on the show we're going to talk about where in Essex we should go.

Love it :)

Vernon was our only fill in with the team until he had to film 'Family Fortunes' for two days while Chris was off. Chris has requested time off that needs to be next week, Scott also applied for leave which needed to be next week. Vernon is unavailable to do it so following from the enthusiasm that surrounded Sara's shows with the team they asked her.

No conspiracy. If she'd said no, then someone else may have had breakfast or Radio 1 management would have said no to either Scott or Chris.
By Emmy
Aled wrote:Hi Emmy

We DON'T do fake. We didn't before everyone else made it their policy and we'd be very stupid to start now! We'd start talking about things a few days before we did an event (otherwise having all our projects discussed weeks or months ahead would become very boring - and confusing for our listeners) but they would begin with 'we've decided to go to...' as you'll hear on Friday re the thing we're announcing then.

Essex was first mentioned at 9:25am (off the top of my head) on Monday morning on air, the requests went out to our management, to the BBC in Essex, to Michael McIntyre who's our guest on Friday, to the Live dept to request hotel and transport and to the Operations dept to request an engineer and the equipment we'll need.

We'd had a tentative thumbs up Monday afternoon from everyone except Piers (who was off that day) - hence why we weren't too sure yesterday on air. We've now had the green light so today on the show we're going to talk about where in Essex we should go.

Love it :)

Vernon was our only fill in with the team until he had to film 'Family Fortunes' for two days while Chris was off. Chris has requested time off that needs to be next week, Scott also applied for leave which needed to be next week. Vernon is unavailable to do it so following from the enthusiasm that surrounded Sara's shows with the team they asked her.

No conspiracy. If she'd said no, then someone else may have had breakfast or Radio 1 management would have said no to either Scott or Chris.

Thanks for all the detail Aled, and for answering my question in the first place, which I didn't really think you would. You've explained both things so well that I now find myself believing you, which is quite annoying because I love a good conspiracy theory! Thanks again, and enjoy both your trip to Essex and your Chris free week :D
Aled, would anyone else on the team be mad enough to subject themselves to their own thread on here. For example. Ask Matt Fincham? (I don't actually know why I would want to ask Matt Fincham anything but oh well you get my point)
bmstinton93 wrote:Aled, would anyone else on the team be mad enough to subject themselves to their own thread on here. For example. Ask Matt Fincham? (I don't actually know why I would want to ask Matt Fincham anything but oh well you get my point)

ha i got loads to throw at matt! good idea.
i think dave would be a great choice
By Aled
bmstinton93 wrote:Aled, would anyone else on the team be mad enough to subject themselves to their own thread on here. For example. Ask Matt Fincham? (I don't actually know why I would want to ask Matt Fincham anything but oh well you get my point)

Hmm probably not. You do run a few risks being so honest. I just think being open and honest with our listeners is the best policy and having the nerve for a two way dialogue about the show is important for the health of the show - even if (and when) some of the feedback isn't exactly what you'd like to hear.

I am 100% sure my usefulness as Producer and hopefully therefore the health of the show is much better because of the constant feedback with our listeners about it.
Aled, you often talk about having to be in line with your target audience. However, some guests don't always fit with that. You mentioned John Barrowman coming in soon, is that because Chris likes him? Or because the BBC are saying he has to come on the show?

Despite being a legend, how many of your listeners bought Sir Tom Jones new album? How many want to hear Sherdan Smith?

I'm not having a go, I'm genuinely interested if you're allowed guests that might not quite meet Radio 1's target audience on a regular basis or is it really hard work to get management to say yes?
Is there any chance of the webcam feeds being put on the iplayer? It's a pain in the arse if there's visual stuff, and you can't watch it because you're at work etc, so if you hear it back it's just not as good if you can watch it.

Also I kinda wanna see just how fine chris cuts it to the end of the cheesy song when he comes in on a morning :p

(I was sure I posted this earlier, but I can't find it)
Ey-up Aled, Is there any way of finding out if my mobile number has been blocked on your R1 text machine? Just kinda curious as I never seem to get a mention etc and I text into the show a lot. I have maybe been guilty of sending Ms Cox a few fruity texts before, but never anything insulting. Rude, maybe, but never nasty!

Just thinking, if i am blocked I could save myself a ruddy fortune and accept i'm never gonna win owt. If not, I ovbiously need to try harder!
Ha, Tim you really are skanky!
Aled, gotta know the thinking behind the "fairness" of the text part of Celebrity Raspberry this morning. Was it really just "first text we received"? If that's the case, why isn't it just "first call we receive" for the first part? Shouldn't you have a limited time period (eg. ten minutes) that lets you text in and then you can pick one at random to call back and find out if they're "interesting" or not?

Doesn't affect me as I'm invariably driving to work at that time in the morning, just curious to know how it fits all the BBC Trust stuff you have to put up with!
Munki Bhoy wrote:Aled, gotta know the thinking behind the "fairness" of the text part of Celebrity Raspberry this morning. Was it really just "first text we received"? If that's the case, why isn't it just "first call we receive" for the first part? Shouldn't you have a limited time period (eg. ten minutes) that lets you text in and then you can pick one at random to call back and find out if they're "interesting" or not?

Doesn't affect me as I'm invariably driving to work at that time in the morning, just curious to know how it fits all the BBC Trust stuff you have to put up with!

Yeah, it was hardly fair as some of us are listening on digital radios, online or through Sky etc. and there's a small delay.

Tuesday show is up