Ah that sucks. They get a decent package?
Not bad, particularly the one who has been here well over 10 years.
I remember a mass culling that took place at my last job, everything was ticking along normally when all of a sudden, three directors turned up and announced "the next hour won't be pleasant but we'll try to get it over with" and started whisking various individuals off to meeting rooms telling them they were being booted out on their ears. Everyone was trying to look busy and you could see people cringing when one of the directors walked in their direction and then our entire team got called into a meeting room only to be told we WEREN'T being made redundant - the bastards were getting some sick thrill out of it, I'm sure.
That is crap.. I've been made redundant once (after three weeks of working there.. bad planning doesn't even begin to describe it) and the whole company was called into the lunch area where the MD said that the last few weeks have been very hard, etc (it was true.. I'd barely had to do anything since I started there) and inevitably there would need to be cost cutting measures, which meant redundancies. He then went on to say 'would the following people please stay behind after this meeting; the rest can go back out' - and of course, I was in the list of names. They were very apologetic and I got a month's wages as a redundancy package (which I thought wasn't bad, considering I was 18 and due to the length of time I'd been there, they didn't have to pay me anything except the time I'd been there for.)