Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By MK Chris
Bag for balls wrote:Johnny Herbert iw my all time F1 hero. He crashed head on into a wall, breaking both his legs. The result was he lost an inch or two in height, and could barely walk, yet he got straight mack into a car. The man's a legend.

Johnny Herbert is indeed a legend and has been the best character in F1 I think, he's always been a right laugh - even when he was in a completely unreliable car and had to retire in a large per centage of races, it was always a pleasure to listen to him being interviewed.
By Yudster
DemonHorse wrote:
Yudster wrote:DemonHorse, why don't you want people to be attracted to F1? Surely the emergence of new and exciting talent in any sport is something which will always make people look - and if some of them then become supporters, surely that is a very very good thing? Its not a club you know. Are people who have never watched F1 before not allowed to become fans, is that what you are saying? Because that would be a good way to kill the sport in a very few years.

I'm just cynical of whether they are 'real' fans but I have also already explained my reasoning.

I'm not quite sure why enjoying watching the sport isn't enough to qualify for the accolade "real fan". Its not as though its a sport which is particularly accesible to the masses in terms of going to see it live.
By pjordan2000
Its a sport in my opinion which is in fact better to watch on tv as you get to see the everything that happens. Granted, you can't feel the atmosphere like you do if you are there but seeing more of the event is just as important.
By Yudster
The main reason the vast majority of fans will never go to a GP is the exorbitant cost of it.
By pjordan2000
Yeah thats very true, that is a major factor for me not going. It's stupid considering you only get to see a portion of the race track anyway!
By MK Chris
I would have loved to have gone to see the British Grand Prix but have never done so for the reason Yudster has stated. Also I agree about fans watching it, you need that and in time they gain knowledge about said sport that qualifies them as a 'proper' fan.
By Vivienne
Today what's making me smile : Fearne & Reggie who are covering for Vernoff this morning! Reggie came into the studio in a right state (late), which was hilarious! Excellent stuff. :-)
By MK Chris
The people in the crowd on telly at Glastonbury with a big banner for the Folkestone Earthquake Survivors made me smile today.
By MK Chris
And today I got told I sound a bit like Comedy Dave, that's made me laugh too. I'm not sure whether it was meant as a compliment but it made me laugh.
By Yudster
What made me smile today was the look on a little boy's face as he told me "Mummy took me to the seaside today". His mum has just come out of hospital after a second kidney transplant, the first one failed and a couple of months ago we all thought she had no chance. Made me cry too, but I still smiled more.
By Yudster
Thats a bad story. Sorry Kendra, hope things improve.
By Yudster
My nephew lives just up the hill from there. He said something about a new swimming pool?
By MK Chris
You can go swimming in that if you like...
By Yudster
Thats the one!
By MK Chris
Only four gears? I know the old Skodas used to do a model with only four gears, not heard of it in anything else.

Tonight I laughed because (as I have just told in the chat room) I went out for a leaving do for one of Mrs Topher's colleagues. That means that I was one of two people who weren't Police, out of a total of about 20. We went for an Indian and near the end a couple sat down on a table next to ours. Next thing we knew, he had thrown his curry over her and left. About 15 minutes later he came back and sat down and she threw her dinner at him, unfortunately for her it landed on a couple of off-duty coppers. Not a lot happened, but they did get told it was time to leave. Just goes to show, you never know who's on the next table though and if they'd been nasty coppers they may have spent a night in the cells.