Transcripts of Dave's Tedious Links
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Warren G & Nate Dogg, Regulate

Today's Transcript:

The moon is where Neil Armstrong famously landed in the summer of 69. 'Summer of 69' was a hit for Canadian rock star Bryan Adams. Bryan Adams still holds the record for the longest run at no1, with '(Everything I Do) I Do It For You', which was taken from the soundtrack to the movie 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves', starring Kevin Costner. Kevin Costner has starred in loads of movies, one of the most famous being 'Dances with Wolves'. Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is currently under pressure at Molyneux, which sounds like it should be in France, but it's actually in Wolverhampton. Wolverhampton is where Noddy Holder is from, and he was the lead singer of Slade. The word 'Slade' is nearly an anagram of 'ladies', who normally get in for free if they're going to see DJ Tim Westwood. Tim Westwood is a big dog. Big dogs should be kept on leads, to stop them running off and biting people. In order to stop this happening you need people like park wardens to regulate the area, which leads us to Warren G & Nate Dogg and 'Regulate'.

Flaws:

Noddy Holder is from Walsall, which isn't technically part of Wolverhampton.

Tedious Facts:

Released - July 1994

Highest UK Chart Position - #5
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

The Cranberries, Linger

Today's Transcript:

Regulate is what you need to do with your breathing if you suddenly find yourself out of puff after doing a Chris Moyles Show Celebrity Lap, a bit like ultra-competitive Jo Whiley, who takes her running very seriously. 'But Seriously' was a 1989 album by Phil Collins, who now lives in Switzerland, who are neutral. Neutral is what you should check your car is in before starting it, to avoid embarrassingly bunny-hopping into a wall. 'Wall' rhymes with 'Gaul', which I think was the old name for France. France are the world's largest producers and consumers of baguettes. Baguettes are long and then sort of narrow, a bit like a bread truncheon. 'Truncheon' rhymes with 'luncheon', like luncheon meat, which you'd find in a tin. Tin Head was the name of the character played by Philip Olivier in 'Brookside', which also starred Claire Sweeney, who's now working in the West End. 'West End Girls' was a big hit for the Pet Shop Boys. The Pet Shop Boys' Neil Tennant is from Newcastle, and probably supports Newcastle United, whose goalkeeper Shay Given is from Ireland, as are the Cranberries, which links to the Cranberries and 'Linger'.

Flaws:

A few issues today. Gaul isn't quite the old name for France, it was the name given by the Romans to the territories where the Celtic Gauls lived, which included parts of present France, Belgium, Luxemburg and parts of the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany on the west bank of the Rhine, and the Po Valley (http://www.ancient.eu/gaul/). Switzerland were neutral during World War II, which I guess is what Dave meant, although they can't be described as neutral in any modern sense. Whilst Neil Tennant was born in North Shields, there is no evidence to suggest that he supports Newcastle or indeed has any interest in football. However, research does point to Dave being correct in his assertion that France produces and eats the most baguettes (https://www.loumessugo.com/en/blog/entr ... h-baguette).

Tedious Facts:

Released - February 1994

Highest UK Chart Position - #14
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

The Police, Message In A Bottle

Today's Transcript:

Linger is a word you might use to describe a bad smell that doesn't go away quickly, and hangs around in the air. 'In The Air Tonight' was a big hit for Phil Collins, who shares the same first name as Phil Spencer from 'Relocation Relocation', where last night they were in Harrogate. Harrogate is located in North Yorkshire, which is also famous for its dales. Dale Winton is probably best known as the host of 'Supermarket Sweep'. Sweep is the best friend of Sooty. If you swap the first letter of 'Sooty' for a 'B' you get 'booty', which is what you might shake on the dancefloor. Blood on the dancefloor is what I produced once during an unfortunate incident at college in Warrington, but was also the title of a 1997 no1 for Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson is somebody you probably wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert island with, and if you were marooned on a desert island and were desperate to be rescued you might try to contact the outside world by putting a message in a bottle, which links to The Police and 'Message In A Bottle'.

Flaws:

No further comment from Dave as to why you wouldn't want to be stranded on a desert island with Michael Jackson, but otherwise no issues.

Tedious Facts:

Released - September 1979

Highest UK Chart Position - #1
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

The Original, I Luv U Baby

Today's Transcript:

A message in a bottle is something you might find washed up on the beach. 'The Beach' was the name of a film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, the soundtrack to which featured 'Pure Shores' by All Saints. All Saints took their name from a well-known street in West London. London is somewhere that foreigners like to visit to see red buses and black taxis. Taxi drivers are apparently being offered free holidays in return for talking up certain locations to tourists. 'Tourist' was the title of the second album by Athlete, which spawned the hit 'Wires'. Wires are what you'd find a lot of behind your telly. 'Telly' rhymes with 'jelly', which is an absolute necessity at a children's party. A party is somewhere where you'd want to have your camera with you, and you might do copies of your pics for other people. If you want to do copies it's best to take them from the original, which links to The Original and 'I Luv U Baby'.

Flaws:

I'm not sure if tourists visit London particularly to see black cabs, but otherwise seamless.

Tedious Facts:

Released - January 1995

Highest UK Chart Position - #31

A different mix of this track was released in August 1995, when it reached the much more respectable chart position of #2.
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Beverley Knight, Made It Back '99

Today's Transcript:

Original is like the opposite of fake. 'Fake Plastic Trees' was a hit for Radiohead, who last week sat in for Zane, who I think is back from his holiday in New Zealand. The capital of New Zealand is Wellington, which is a word most associated with a type of boot. 'Boot' rhymes with 'hoot', which is the noise made by an owl. The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat. If you put an 'R' in the middle of 'boat' you get 'Borat', who is from Kazakhstan, who England have to win against to qualify for the World Cup in 2010 in South Africa. South Africa is where Zola Budd was really from, even though she ran for Great Britain, and did so famously with bare feet. Feet is a unit of measurement used to calculate distance or height. Height is important if you're an airline pilot, so you don't crash into buildings and trees and things. Trees are made from wood, and have branches, which birds like to sit on. A group of trees is known as a forest or a wood, which is where knights used to do battle on horseback. When you think of the word 'knight' in the context of pop music you think of Beverley Knight, which links to Beverley Knight and 'Made It Back'.

Flaws:

Technically trees aren't made of wood, wood is made from trees. I'm guessing when Dave referred to height being important for airline pilots he meant the height at which they must fly the plane, rather than, as I first thought, their physical height - although in fact some airlines do have a mimimum height requirement for their pilots (https://www.quora.com/How-tall-do-you-h ... line-pilot).

Tedious Facts:

Released - April 1999

Highest UK Chart Position - #19

This is a remix of Beverley's original track which reached #21 in May 1998, utilizing the backing track for Chic's classic 1979 hit 'Good Times'.
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

AC/DC, You Shook Me All Night Long

Today's Transcript:

Beverley Knight shares one name in common with Knight Rider, who was played by David Hasselhoff, who's a big music star in Germany. Germany used to be split into two countries, East and West Germany, which were separated by the Berlin Wall. Berlin was the name of the band who had a 1986 one-hit wonder with 'Take My Breath Away', from the film 'Top Gun'. 'Top Gun' starred Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise, who's a Scientologist. Scientlogists don't like women to make any noise during childbirth, never mind during the football. Last night in the football Liverpool had to rely on Crouch's 88th minute goal to rescue a point against Aston Villa, leaving them out of the Champions League behind Everton, who are fourth. 'Forth' is the old-fashioned word for 'forward', which is the opposite of 'backward', which is how some people wrongly stereotype those who live in the countryside. The countryside is always a good place to go for a nice walk. 'Walk The Dinosaur' was a big hit for Was Not Was. Dinosaurs ruled much of the world in ancient times but I don't think were ever traced back to Australia. Australia has produced many musical acts, one of the best being AC/DC, which links us to AC/DC and 'You Shook Me All Night Long'.

Flaws:

Two problems were identified by Dave in the post-mortem: firstly the Berlin Wall didn't technically separate East and West Germany, it separated Berlin, and secondly dinosaur fossils have been found in Australia. In addition, Berlin were not quite a one-hit wonder in the true sense, having scraped to #39 in January 1987 with their follow-up single 'You Don't Know'; and scientologists do not believe women should make no noise during childbirth, rather, “the point of silent birth is no words. It does not mean a mother cannot make any sound during childbirth. It is doubtful that any woman could give birth without making any noise at all”, according to the Church of Scientology International (see https://www.thebump.com/a/silent-birth). I was in some doubt regarding Dave's assertion about David Hasselhoff's success in Germany, but some research confirmed he was correct (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambl ... ny-1006554).

Tedious Facts:

Released - September 1980

Highest UK Chart Position - #38
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Goldie Lookin' Chain, Guns Don't Kill People Rappers Do

Today's Transcript:

ACDC are letters that you'd associate with the world of electricity. One of the earliest names in the field of electrical research was Benjamin Franklin, who shares the same surname as Caryn Franklin, who used to present 'The Clothes Show' with Jeff Banks. Banks are what you'd find on the edge of a river, and the reason you have speed limits on a river is to prevent the banks being eroded by the boat's wash. Wash is what Aled doesn't do every morning, preferring instead to have a shower at night, rather than in the morning. 'In The Morning' was a big hit in 2006 for Razorlight, who are fronted by Jonny Borrell, who was and might still be going out with Hollywood actress Kirsten Dunst. If you remove the 'D' in 'Dunst' you're left with 'dust'. Dust gathers on household surfaces, along with fluff. Fluffy is how you might describe a rabbit, and when you think of rabbits you might think of our band Mouldy Lookin' Stain, which was inspired by Goldie Lookin' Chain, which links us to Goldie Lookin' Chain and 'Guns Don't Kill People Rappers Do'.

Flaws:

Dave pronounced the link seamless, but there was a glaring error in that removing the 'D' from 'Dunst' leaves you not with 'dust' but with 'unst' - the letter he was after was 'N'. However, he was seemingly correct in that Kirsten and Johnny Borrell were no longer together at the time of speaking, according to a news article which reported their split the previous September (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/entertainm ... 094824.htm).

Tedious Facts:

Released - August 2004

Highest UK Chart Position - #3
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Travis, Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

Today's Transcript:

Goldie Lookin' Chain are from Newport in South Wales, which is just before you get to Cardiff if you're travelling westbound on the M4. Four is the square root of 16, which is the age you're allowed to ride a moped, and get married with your parents' permission in this country. 16 minus one is 15, which is the name of the restaurant chain owned by Jamie Oliver. 'Oliver' is the name of the musical which features the famous line "please sir, can I have some more". More is the opposite of less, which is what people like to pay when they're shopping and on the hunt for a bargain. 'Bargain Hunt' is the show you'd associate with David Dickinson, who shares the same surname as Janice Dickinson, who was in 'I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here' and apparently fancied Dec. Dec was in the papers yesterday, enjoying a golfing holiday in Portugal. Portugal are big fans of salted cod, which is a popular dinner fish, alongside tuna. Tuna is what producer Rachel smelled of yesterday, after her packed lunch leaked in her bag, which was a travesty. If you take the 'ty' off 'travesty' you're left with Travis, which links us to Travis and 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me?'.

Flaws:

There was some debate regarding whether travelling westbound on the M4 does lead to Cardiff, but the consensus was that it depends on where you start from. Also taking the 'ty' off 'travesty' technically leaves you with Traves, which is not a thing.

Tedious Facts:

Released - August 1999

Highest UK Chart Position - #10
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

EMF, Unbelievable

Today's Transcript:

Travis famously performed 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me' at Glastonbury a few years ago just as it started raining. If you add a 'T' to the front of 'raining' you get 'training', which is what you'd need to have before you became a fork=lift truck driver. A driver of a different type is what you might find in a golf bag. Golf is associated with the country of Scotland. Scotland tonight celebrate Burns Night, a celebration of their most famous poet. Another word for a poet is a bard. Barred is what can happen if you fall out with your landlord, or cause public disorder. Public disorder offences normally also involve the police. The police in the UK are known as 'bobbies' and carry truncheons. 'Truncheons' rhymes with 'luncheons', which are what Andi Peters arranges to fill his otherwise empty days. When Andi Peters goes out for lunch he normally tries to get someone else to pay the bill, like he did the other day with that tyre at the garage when he got a bill of £300 which he found unbelievable, which links to EMF and 'Unbelievable'.

Flaws:

Watertight today.

Tedious Facts:

Released - November 1990

Highest UK Chart Position - #3

Thank you both!!