Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
Aled, three questions:

1. Outside of the people who text in to have their names read out to music, do you think Duck Register has any appeal to the rest of the listeners?

2. Are you going to continue with Celeb Raspberry, given the amount of time spent trailing it and then doing it, when, generally, it amounts to a simple guess who based on the clues you give and peoples recollections of recent R1 guests.

3. Do you think there is a danger that the show is becoming too structured with features and interviews?

I am not being sarcastic with those questions. I have my opinions, but would love to know your views.
I also wanted to mention that Raspberry seems to be far more about the clues and recent guests than anything else, which kind of ruins it a bit. At least with Tarzan you had a chance of hearing something that could inform your guess. I don't mind the feature, I'm certainly not one of the haters, but I don't think its quite working as well as it could - is there any room for tweaking (if you thought it advisable), or do you have to run with what you have?
I agree with the last two posts regarding celeb raspberry Aled. It was a novelty at first and with the right caller such as the guy stopped on the motorway it can be fun, but most days I just tend to fast forward through it on the i-player. It justs seems to go round in circles for four days then the caller on day 5 is practically given the answer. Too predictable...thats not to say where am I should be brought back either.

Would it even be possible perhaps sometime whether in the raspberry slot or not to rotate games on a weekly basis to keep the link sounding fresh. Something like a week of VIADUCT :D then a week of two word tango. Then if ye find something works well it could become a permanent feature again.
Last edited by shamrock student on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has anyone made you or the BBC online team aware of the iPlayer issue of it stopping at random points when listening again and resetting itself back to the beginning?
It's just that iPlayer doesn't have 'click n drag'. Not good for when trying to skip straight to CPC which doesn't have it's own chapter whereas Raspberry does.
By Emmy
Travis Bickle wrote:Aled, three questions:

1. Outside of the people who text in to have their names read out to music, do you think Duck Register has any appeal to the rest of the listeners?

2. Are you going to continue with Celeb Raspberry, given the amount of time spent trailing it and then doing it, when, generally, it amounts to a simple guess who based on the clues you give and peoples recollections of recent R1 guests.

3. Do you think there is a danger that the show is becoming too structured with features and interviews?

I am not being sarcastic with those questions. I have my opinions, but would love to know your views.

I'd love to know your thoughts on the above too. I was thinking exactly the same about the Duck Register today, it seems like a feature aimed more at younger listeners who might get a thrill from hearing their names read out on the radio. Is it?

I'd like to add one further question, which is something that also popped into my head during the show today, when skipping through Dom's Michael Caine impressions. Do you think Chris is somewhat of a frustrated impressionist? I think so, and feel as if this frustration spills over into the show quite a bit, which often makes me turn off the radio/skip through the i-player. His Geordie impressions are especially annoying, they make me want to tear my ears off! It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't go for so long.

Sorry for going off on a bit of a rant there, so to reiterate, my question is, do you think Chris is somewhat of a frustrated impressionist? Thanks.
By Aled
McGuinness-89 wrote:If and when there is another Chris Moyles kareoke night, I take it you won't be the one who is out and about giving tickets away so who would it be?

It probably would be me with Sam studio producing. We need to do another one soon - it's been a while!
By Aled
Travis Bickle wrote:Aled, three questions:

Hey Travis Bickle - btw love your username, why though?

1. Absolutely. I've had more texts and tweets about that random little feature than anything else we've done since we've come back from our summer hols.

2. We've not had a sit down and discussed it officially, but we have a long history of doing features that have over the top jingles to go with a very short game. Essentially it's a feature to get a listener on air and the team guessing which it does nicely. I'm personally seeing the feature run till Christmas with Where Am I back in Jan, but Chris could have different ideas.

3. Yes. My favourite shows are the ones - like Monday - where there's room for the team to be the team and that produces really random moments that are very funny. It can be quite scary though for a radio show to have a script in front of you that says here's 3 and a half hours - with nothing planned. The trick is to have a full show planned as a fall back, but to have the confidence to drop it as and when the more random stuff happens and give it room to breathe. We definitely have many more of those than we used to.
By Aled
Yudster wrote:I also wanted to mention that Raspberry seems to be far more about the clues and recent guests than anything else, which kind of ruins it a bit. At least with Tarzan you had a chance of hearing something that could inform your guess. I don't mind the feature, I'm certainly not one of the haters, but I don't think its quite working as well as it could - is there any room for tweaking (if you thought it advisable), or do you have to run with what you have?

I'm honestly very happy with it. I appreciate not everyone else is. I'd be open to tweaking if there was a tweak that improved it - but for me, it's bedded in well and I enjoy the format.
By Aled
jocky85 wrote:Has anyone made you or the BBC online team aware of the iPlayer issue of it stopping at random points when listening again and resetting itself back to the beginning?

yes they have. It's not my dept, but I can only imagine they're working on it.
By Aled
McGuinness-89 wrote:Not a question, more a demand.....Bring back Westwood! :) I also agree the show is too structured at the mo....calm down Al, he knows what he's doing. 8)

One of my faults is that I can get defensive when I don't think something's my fault - so it's with that in mind that I ask - do you really think Chris is TOLD what to do?

Everything that happens on the show happens because Chris wants it. It's his name over the door. My job is to help him get what he wants from the show.
By Aled
Emmy wrote:Do you think Chris is somewhat of a frustrated impressionist? Thanks.

I think there are many things that makes the show so good, and Chris in particular such a brilliant broadcaster. If I was asked to create a list of things that made him so good his impressions would be among the ones.

Most of the biggest laughs (dragons, Rachel/Tamsin, Tom Jones) come when he's doing his impressions.
I love his Cheryl Cole!
Aled, thanks for the reply and full answers to my questions. I am glad you like my username. I am not sure if you're wondering why you like it or whether you are asking why I chose it, but there was no reason for it other than I saw the film Taxi Driver around the time I registered here and liked the name of the main character, Travis Bickle. And there was a good picture of him to use as my avatar!

I am glad you said that you prefer the less hectic shows where the team allowed to be themselves and do what they do best. That's what I wanted you to say!
Aled wrote:
Yudster wrote:I also wanted to mention that Raspberry seems to be far more about the clues and recent guests than anything else, which kind of ruins it a bit. At least with Tarzan you had a chance of hearing something that could inform your guess. I don't mind the feature, I'm certainly not one of the haters, but I don't think its quite working as well as it could - is there any room for tweaking (if you thought it advisable), or do you have to run with what you have?

I'm honestly very happy with it. I appreciate not everyone else is. I'd be open to tweaking if there was a tweak that improved it - but for me, it's bedded in well and I enjoy the format.

You mentioned running with Raspberry until Christmas, how about in December turning it into "Celebrity Santa", get them to do a "Ho Ho Ho", perhaps using the effects machine to make it deeper and add a bit of reverb to disguise it a bit more?
By Aled
northernsteve wrote:You mentioned running with Raspberry until Christmas, how about in December turning it into "Celebrity Santa", get them to do a "Ho Ho Ho", perhaps using the effects machine to make it deeper and add a bit of reverb to disguise it a bit more?

Wouldn't be a raspberry then though would it!
Aled wrote:
Emmy wrote:Do you think Chris is somewhat of a frustrated impressionist? Thanks.

I think there are many things that makes the show so good, and Chris in particular such a brilliant broadcaster. If I was asked to create a list of things that made him so good his impressions would be among the ones.

Most of the biggest laughs (dragons, Rachel/Tamsin, Tom Jones) come when he's doing his impressions.

ha i love the impressions the geordie one is the best!
but aled will the miley cyrus impression be coming back for a cameo any time soon? that cracks me up FREEEKIN AWESOME MAAAN!
By Emmy
I bloody well hope not, that's his worst 'impression' by far, just horrific!

Thanks for answering my previous question Aled. My next question is, did you set a tracking alarm on your bf's phone and manage to have your rubbish game turned off before he came in last night? Sorry if this was mentioned today and I missed it because I didn't get to hear the whole show, but after all the talk about it yesterday I wondered what last night's outcome was.
Aled, a question on Celebrity Raspberry here, I know you have a set of jingles/themes for it made by Music4, how long are you planning to keep the feature? Also, (very geeky), now PureTonic have the contract for Station Sound, not Music4, will your jingles be made by Music4, or will you have to have the new station generic ones, eg 'Chris Moyles, BBC Ra-di-o-1'
Aled I know we all talk mostly about the CM show here, but I was just wondering what other radio shows (BBC or commercial) do you rate highly yourself?

Also I know theres been mumblings about another kareoke night, have ye ever considered distributing the tickets via a online lottery, similar to how the one big weekend tickets are distributed. On the face of it would seem to be a fairer way of giving the tickets away rather than just to who happens to be nearby a particular building at a certain time, or is a online draw just more hassle than its worth?

No worries, and good to know that he's going on ho[…]