Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
Hey Aled, was thinking about some ideas the show could possibly do in 2012 so thought I'd post them here:

>Retro/Nostalgia week - A lot of the current listeners wont have heard some of the features that were done back in the afternoon days that were quite successful, and also current listeners that did hear them it'd be like a mini rewind for them. You could also use it as a chance to replay some of the best/worst classic interviews, old jingles, and see what ex-team members are doing now since they left the show, getting one on each day.
>Sport Relief - Chris likes mentioning his mile running times so a competition to see who could do the fastest minute mile. Team members, other Radio 1 DJ's, and celebrities; endorsing what sport relief is doing.
>Olympic sweepstake of some sort run by Dave as per, making it overly complicated.
>Exactly the same as Scott Cam years ago, Chris cam from his house for a week.
>Doing one show everyday from each team members home town; Chris, Dave, Dom, Tina, and you of course.
>Each day for a week each team member for an hour of the show gets too choose the music played, features etc. Then over the weekend and Monday the listeners get to vote on which team members section of the show was the best. That team member then gets too choose a punishment for the rest of the team, or gets the full show on one day as what they want to do. As it's likely the listener will like it as they voted for it.
itbe_Tyler wrote:Hey Aled, was thinking about some ideas the show could possibly do in 2012 so thought I'd post them here:

>Retro/Nostalgia week - A lot of the current listeners wont have heard some of the features that were done back in the afternoon days that were quite successful, and also current listeners that did hear them it'd be like a mini rewind for them.You could also use it as a chance to replay some of the best/worst classic interviews

Didn't Aled talk about this exact thing last week?

itbe_Tyler wrote:...old jingles, and see what ex-team members are doing now since they left the show, getting one on each day.

I like this idea - but surely it's too niche? Considering the audience is 8m+ (ish), a relatively small proportion will have been listening long enough to have it be a success en-masse

itbe_Tyler wrote:>Olympic sweepstake of some sort run by Dave as per, making it overly complicated.

standard.

itbe_Tyler wrote:>Exactly the same as Scott Cam years ago, Chris cam from his house for a week.

Chris isn't stupid enough to agree to this.

itbe_Tyler wrote:>Each day for a week each team member for an hour of the show gets too choose the music played, features etc. Then over the weekend and Monday the listeners get to vote on which team members section of the show was the best. That team member then gets too choose a punishment for the rest of the team, or gets the full show on one day as what they want to do. As it's likely the listener will like it as they voted for it.

similar to 'games week', which saw the birth of 'where's the bear'. i approve of anything that encourages this type of game.
chrysostom wrote:
itbe_Tyler wrote:Hey Aled, was thinking about some ideas the show could possibly do in 2012 so thought I'd post them here:

>Retro/Nostalgia week - A lot of the current listeners wont have heard some of the features that were done back in the afternoon days that were quite successful, and also current listeners that did hear them it'd be like a mini rewind for them.You could also use it as a chance to replay some of the best/worst classic interviews

Didn't Aled talk about this exact thing last week?

Aled spoke about the features idea for the final show this week, but that's just one aspect of a whole week that could be done.
Aled two proposals for you one is see if you can get Dave back on weekend cover for Vernon/Sara every now and again and/or the - See if Ben Cooper will allow guest hosts for the chart show when Reggie's off. Rotate Chris + Dave (would be hilarious), Scott, Greg, Vernon + Sara even you as you only have a 1 hour show on Sundays
abertom wrote:Aled two proposals for you one is see if you can get Dave back on weekend cover for Vernon/Sara every now and again and/or the - See if Ben Cooper will allow guest hosts for the chart show when Reggie's off. Rotate Chris + Dave (would be hilarious), Scott, Greg, Vernon + Sara even you as you only have a 1 hour show on Sundays

I can't imagine Chris and Dave, with all their other commitments, wanting to take on yet more broadcasting jobs.
I can't imagine Chris, with or without any other commitments, doing anything but laughing like a drain at the suggestion he cover the chart show.
It happened for a few months in 2002-3 between the departure of Mark Goodier and Wes Butters taking over. Chris did at lease one week during that stint.

Bear in mind that when they were broadcasting from Carlisle, Chris and Dave gatecrashed the Midweek Chat with Greg and seemed to be in their element particularly as it is a very technical show, same on the marathon show (http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/sound ... ileid=2170) - I reckon that providing he had the freedom to do the show his way he might be up for it.
Chris hasn't worked weekends (bar perks like the Big Weekend) for years though and when Mark Goodier left it was a station-wide temporary thing wasn't it? Even John Peel was going to do it at one point (though I think he got out of it.)
Yes, but it would never work as a permanent thing, you'd never get everyone (probably least of all Chris and Dave) to agree to it.
Aled, why for the last few years have the team taken the first working weekend in January off? It's the worst week of the year, the one where millions of people go back to their shitty jobs and would like some entertainment in the mornings. Yet the best show on the radio isn't on because the team are taking a second week off, instead of taking a week off in July like you used to.

A hardship for the nation etc. etc.
By Emmy
jamiec21 wrote:Aled, why for the last few years have the team taken the first working weekend in January off? It's the worst week of the year

I think you've answered your own question there. It is the shittiest week of the year, so why would Chris want to drag his ass out of bed every morning during it? It makes perfect sense to take it off. I'm off this week myself and it's great, stayed in my pjs all day today and in bed half the day, thinking about everyone else going back to work!
Aled, happy new year!! W

Was great to listen to the longest show podcasts over Christmas. The little extra commentary from yourself and Freya was a nice listen.

Listening back it reminded me of the great jingle package used during the marathon show. Having you ever looked at bringing these jingles into the regular show. Seems a shame that they may not see the light of day again! :D
Agreed. Good work on the Boxing day show Al, with one complaint; First song, 8 minutes in? Tut...

you just remember who you're producing there young man...! :wink:
By Aled
dimtimjim wrote:Agreed. Good work on the Boxing day show Al, with one complaint; First song, 8 minutes in? Tut...

you just remember who you're producing there young man...! :wink:

Was it really 8 mins in? :) the last two years of New Years Day show had two songs by then - but then Piers was our Exec. We broke a lot of 'rules' with that Boxing Day show - we played many less songs than the last two years of New Year's Day shows. Even Chris commented asked at one point whether I'd get away with the amount of speech Ant and I were trying to line up in one link :)

Maybe it felt like the links went faster this time
Just move your head closer to the screen, works the same.... :?

that pic makes Dom look like Dr Evil.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]