Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Boboff
What is best if at all

I have Sky HD, Wii and Xbox 360 with Gold membership ( what's your gamer tag "chris")

I want a movie night with the kids birthdays coming up and I thought I would try a movie internet subscription

Netflix?
Sky do one
Tesco do one

Does anyone have an opinion or experience of such things, and what would you warn/recommend????

May I please thank you in advance of your assistance with regard to this matter.

Yours with fondest Regards

The B to the 0 to the B, Off
By Nicola_Red
We just signed up for Netflix, but pretty much purely to watch Modern Family as Mr Red hasn't seen it. I have had a flip through the movies available and I have to say I wasn't especially impressed with the selection. I think the Sky one, NOWTV, has much more up to date movies but it's over twice the price (after an initial discounted trial period).
By a-moron
Sky's NowTV has a 30 day free trial promotion on as well.

If it's a movie night you're planning, I'd recommend that one. There's a pretty decent selection on there.

Netflix is good for TV box set streaming but the films pretty poor in terms of recent releases.

Lovefilm is good if you take the DVD package, the shows they have to stream are not as good.

Tesco. I don't know. Soz.

*Edit -

Sorry Nic, never seen your post.
Pretty much what she said really.
By Boboff
Okay, thank you people.

I think I am going to go for Netflix, and if the TV stuff is good I may well drop the Sky package and just use Free Sat & Netflix?

Cheers!
By MK Chris
That sounds a bloody good idea if it's good - I was under the impression the Netflix selection wasn't great - I think Zoot said that, it may have got better since he cancelled his subscription though.
By Bonanzoid
I've got Netflix, and I think it's great. The selection on the UK's version was pretty limited before, but it does seem to be improving. Also, if you're using an Xbox to watch it, you can manually amend your DNS settings so that you get the American library, which is far superior.
By Bonanzoid
System settings - network settings, then select your usual network and hit 'configure network', then manually change the DNS settings to these;

190.14.36.90 primary 109.123.11.24 secondary

Hit 'done' after, then reconnect to Xbox live and that should be it.

There was a short time where it didn't work for me, but it seems to be fine again. You can change the DNS settings back to automatic if it's not working, and Xbox Live will work fine with Netflix using the UK library again.
By Bonanzoid
chrysostom wrote:Ah I'll try that tonight too.

Does it have an effect when playing on Xbox live?

I'm not quite sure if I'm honest. I don't think I've played online in months. I'd imagine it'd be unaffected, but I can't say I've tried.
By a-moron
IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME!!!!
DAMN YOU!!!!!

Xbox live connection even went a bit wanky. Had to rest my router to get it back to normal.
By Nicola_Red
Worked great for us last night. So much more choice! Thankyou Bonanzoid. I owe you a cake.
By Boboff
Brilliant

I did it, and it is very good.

Once I am spent with the UK stuff I will try the Boner options.

Wykey wrote:When you say online movie subscription, do you mean online "movie" subscription?

:)

Tube8!
By a-moron
Had a wee viewing of the US version tonight.
Downloaded a VPN shield for my android phone then used it as a portable Wi-Fi hub.

Choice on there is sooo much better.

Will now get to finish off the last 4 eps of BSG that I lost when my sky box decided to go and * itself and I lost them.

Good times.
By chrysostom
Bonanzoid wrote:System settings - network settings, then select your usual network and hit 'configure network', then manually change the DNS settings to these;

There was a short time where it didn't work for me, but it seems to be fine again. You can change the DNS settings back to automatic if it's not working, and Xbox Live will work fine with Netflix using the UK library again.

I've just done this. The increase in content is unbelievable! Thanks a lot BZD
By neilt0
chrysostom wrote:
Bonanzoid wrote:System settings - network settings, then select your usual network and hit 'configure network', then manually change the DNS settings to these;

I've just done this. The increase in content is unbelievable! Thanks a lot BZD

Well... until the STREAMPOCALYPSE! http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/30/42879 ... g-tomorrow

Editing gap to come for a few days.