Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Nicola_Red
Haha, I couldn't even carry mine from the car to my gate, let alone to the park :)
By Nicola_Red
Here's a pic - haven't cleaned it up yet, but it's still amazing :)

By Nicola_Red
I'm feeling like you people don't quite get the concept of a typewriter.
By chrysostom
It's like a word processor/printer combo, but takes much longer, weighs a tonne, is noisier, you can't erase mistakes, it's much more difficult to format your documents with it, there's only one font available and because of their scarcity - the ribbons/ink are much more expensive.

amirite*? :P

*cool present though, very thoughtful
By Nicola_Red
chrysostom wrote:It's like a word processor/printer combo, but takes much longer, weighs a tonne, is noisier, you can't erase mistakes, it's much more difficult to format your documents with it, there's only one font available and because of their scarcity - the ribbons/ink are much more expensive.

You are indeed! And I frickin' love it. I'm not saying I necessarily intend to use it, I think it's cool purely on an ornamental basis, but if I can ink the ribbon successfully I may well give it a go. Strangely, winding a piece of paper in, hitting the keys and winding it out again sounds less faff than printing a document on a PC...
By Misfit
Nicola_Red wrote:Drove all the way to Halifax to collect it too.

should have gone with him and we could have had a coffee. Im from there! ha!
By Yudster
Nicola_Red wrote:
chrysostom wrote:It's like a word processor/printer combo, but takes much longer, weighs a tonne, is noisier, you can't erase mistakes, it's much more difficult to format your documents with it, there's only one font available and because of their scarcity - the ribbons/ink are much more expensive.

You are indeed! And I frickin' love it. I'm not saying I necessarily intend to use it, I think it's cool purely on an ornamental basis, but if I can ink the ribbon successfully I may well give it a go. Strangely, winding a piece of paper in, hitting the keys and winding it out again sounds less faff than printing a document on a PC...

All you need now is a bakelite telephone like this:

And a wooden wireless like this:

and you'll be all set to be Hercule Poirot's secretary.
By Nicola_Red
Oh man, I would LOVE one of those phones. Time to start dropping hints... ;)
By Nicola_Red
I'm not a hipster! I just love other people's old tat.
By dimtimjim
Nicola_Red wrote: I just love old tat.

What, like Bob n Yuds?! :D
By Yudster
Less of the tat. I'm quality goods I am.
By Nicola_Red
chrysostom wrote:http://www.howhipsterareyou.com/

Sadly the page won't work here. I think it's a Flash intro and our plugins are all out of date. I shall try to remember to take it at home and report back...but I'm clearly far too old and uncool to be a hipster.
By chrysostom
Self denigration of your 'cool' status, and excluding yourself from mainstream hipsters. Ahem.

Combined with the typewriter, love of starbucks, Geek glasses, Geek T Shirt, general love of vintage, feminism and Veganism - you're a classic hipster :P
By DevilsDuck
dimtimjim wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote: I just love old twats.

What, like Bob n Yuds?! :D

:o

Tuesday show is up