Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Badger Mark
My wife and I watched The Raven last night (John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe). Not great, but not bad either. I gave it 3/5 stars on Netfilix.
By Yudster
Were you nudged towards The Raven by The Following?
By Badger Mark
Yudster wrote:Were you nudged towards The Raven by The Following?

Not really. We both like John Cusack as an actor (my wife especially). Of course it was impossible not to think about The Following while watching it since the premise of the movie is he's helping the police catch a serial killer who is recreating scenes from his stories.
By MK Chris
Is now the time to admit I quite like 50 First Dates?

In my defence I first saw it by accident... I thought I was going to be watching 51st State.
By Bonanzoid
Yudster wrote:I enjoyed The Wedding Singer. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a "good" film, but I like it. Also Drew Barrymore is the only woman who is on both my list and Mr Yudster's.

Good choice to you both. She's lavly.

As for Adam Sandler, I still kinda like the Waterboy. Bar the overacted voice he puts on, it's not a terrible film.
By BBQ
Grosse Point Blank, starring John Cusack was a fun film.
Hi Fidelity is in my mind but can't remember if it was good or not.
By Badger Mark
BBQ wrote:Grosse Point Blank, starring John Cusack was a fun film.
Hi Fidelity is in my mind but can't remember if it was good or not.

I would say both of those films are two of my favorite John Cusack films. Hi Fidelity is very good. I never read the book, but my wife did. She liked the movie and the book very much.
By Badger Mark
So we watched another movie last night. Tim Burton's Dark Shadows. Definitely one of Burton's lesser efforts. It bore little resemblance to the old tv show that it was based upon. That said, we had gone back and watched an episode of the tv show and found it to be laughably bad. So no great loss I guess.
By Nicola_Red
BBQ wrote:Hi Fidelity is in my mind but can't remember if it was good or not.

I didn't enjoy it at all, but I think a lot of that was cos they didn't interpret the book as I'd seen it in my head. Moving it to America was probably the main problem, but it wasn't only that. I think I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't read the book.
By BBQ
I only remember him owning a record shop. I can remember Grosse Point Blank, so not sure if that says anything about one being good and memorable and forgetting anything about another movie other than the character's place of work.
By dimtimjim
me n 'er indoors watched Skyfall on Saturday night, very good. Judi Dench steals the screen every scene she is in, and I liked the new Q character. All in, a top 007 movie.
By Yudster
Is John Cleese still Q?
By chrysostom
Nope, he's now a hard nosed 'geek-chic' youngster played by Ben Whishaw. Much more interesting in my opinion, but then again I'm not a Bond purist!
By Yudster
Oh that sounds good - I like Ben Whishaw.
By dimtimjim
Nope, this film sees the introduction of a new Q. Good opening few lines as well, velly fanny.
By The Deadly
John Cleese is Q and should have been in the role til he was either dead or a vegetable.

Skyfall and Daniel Craig are ridiculously overrated.

Piece Brosnan is the best James Bond ever and Goldeneye is the best James Bond film.

Now leave me alone.
By DevilsDuck
Deadly wrote:John Cleese is Q and should have been in the role til he was either dead or a vegetable.

I agree

Deadly wrote:Skyfall = ridiculously overrated.

I agree-ish, Good film and best of the Danny Craig era

Deadly wrote:Piece Brosnan is the best James Bond ever and Goldeneye is the best James Bond film.

I agree, Mr Brosnan is my Bond and Goldeneye was brilliant

Deadly wrote:Now leave me alone.
...NEVER!

*pokes Deadly in the eye*
By dimtimjim
Goldeneye was brilliant.
By neilt0
[Insert name of Bond who was playing the role when I first started watching 007 films] is the best Bond.

[Insert name of Q who was playing the role when I first started watching 007 films] is the best Q.

[Insert name of M who was playing the role when I first started watching 007 films] is the best M.

Sean Connery.
Desmond Llewelyn.
Bernard Lee.
By DevilsDuck
neilt0 wrote:[Insert name of Q who was playing the role when I first started watching 007 films] is the best Q.

Wrong

The best Q is Desmond Llewelyn. John Cleese was J and the new one is rubbish!
By slaphead1982
DevilsDuck wrote:John Cleese was J

John Cleese was R.
By chrysostom
Started watching Cloud Atlas last night, but we gave up after an hour as we had NO idea what was going on.

I suspect we'll give it another try when we're alert and focused!

Small editing gap to come