Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Nicola_Red
dimtimjim wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote:What would you say they achieved by giving Barney the baby?

To me it was indicative of a feeling I myself experienced 12.5 years ago.

Barney, the exemplar serial womaniser, suddenly having that moment of realisation as he first holds his own child in his arms... showing the softer side which resides within all men, but is hidden better in some models than others.

There really is no feeling like it and NOTHING can prepare you for exactly how it does feel - but I know all the parents on here will back me up on this. Sorry Nic, I know that maybe sounds like a 'dig' at you for not being a parent, but it so isn't intended that way.

Nah, it doesn't sound like a dig at me. It does sound cliche-y (not a word) and sappy to me, but no doubt that's cos I'll never experience it. I still don't get why we needed to see a softer side to Barney, though. Maybe they felt they suddenly needed to redeem him for all the womanising, but I don't think that was necessary at all.
By MadTheEddos
*BUMP*

Lately I've ended up watching loads of Bones and CSI on Sky Living. Bones is rapidly becoming one of my favourite characters on any show. Emily Deschanel is adorable in it, I love the dreamy/rambling way she speaks.

My favourite CSI character is(Well, was) Catherine Willows, although every character in that show has probably made an impression on me, I've watched it so much... Oh dear.
By DevilsDuck
I have been watching Gotham on Netflix. I quite enjoyed it. Also watched the first 4 series of game of thrones as was sick of not understanding the stupid jokes people were making.

Winter is coming
By Topher
I plan to start Game of Thrones at some point. If anyone hasn't seen Daredevil on Netflix yet, definitely definitely watch it, it's ace.
By Nicola_Red
For Game of Thrones? No, me either. I've seen bits of it cos my former housemate used to watch it and...meh. Too rapey for me.

I hardly watch any new TV at the moment, the only things I make sure to watch are New Girl and The Mindy Project. Very little else floating my boat.
By DevilsDuck
I have enjoyed it, its something to watch...some of it is a bit gruesome and rapey...but it is a show that once you start watching it, you do want to find out what happens...I would read the books, but I prefer comedy/satirical books...not too much heavy reading!
By MadTheEddos
I've never really got into Game of Thrones either. A couple of years ago my ex roped me into watching some episodes, and it's not on my wavelength - not the TV version at least. Maybe if I read the books I might see it in a new light though, so I won't write it off altogether.

I need to get into Netflix, and check out Gotham, Daredevil and others.

Think I saw a mention of Dirk Gently somewhere in this thread, a few pages back. I saw that on BBC4 a few months back, loved it. Not renewing it was an epic fail on the BBC's part.
By flyingbadger
Game of Thrones is * awesome (gruesome and rapey FTW).
Really enjoying all the comic book adaptations doing the rounds. Daredevil and Arrow especially but honourable mentions to The Flash and Gotham although that's not necessarily a comic book adaptation *pushes glasses up nose*.
Since last I typed and you looked I also finished watching Dexter (shouldn't have bothered), Grimm's pretty good, Breaking Bad was THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN to my eyeballs and I'm currently enjoying The League on Netflix as well as Brooklyn Nine Nine.

#BadgerHasNoLife
By Topher
I don't know what that is, but I bet it's not as good as DareDevil.
By flyingbadger
bmstinton93 wrote:Again, nothing beats Chuck.

Haha,

Bailed on Season 5 episode 2. Never went back.
Big pile o'shite.

Topher wrote:I don't know what that is, but I bet it's not as good as DareDevil.

You are correct Christopher, very few things are as good as a blind man kicking the * out of a shit tonne of people.
Big pile o'awesomeness.
By Topher
Episode 2 has the best fight scene I've ever seen on TV or in a film. It is brilliant and it's all done in a single tracking shot, must have been so hard to shoot.
By flyingbadger
Topher wrote:Episode 2 has the best fight scene I've ever seen on TV or in a film. It is brilliant and it's all done in a single tracking shot, must have been so hard to shoot.

All the fight scene choregraphy is amoungst the best I've seen. The actors / stuntdudes must have taken a few clocks to the bonce in the making of those scenes.
By Nicola_Red
flyingbadger wrote: as well as Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Love this. Very funny, and great, strong female/gay/non-white characters - that's still so rare, why?! I bought Mr Red season 1 on dvd for his birthday. Looking forward to a binge re-watch.
By chrysostom
To be fair, in the US figures show that around 1.7% (likely double that though) of adults identify as LGBT and 12.7% are African American and 4.7% are 'Asian' (both South and East) which means it's likely that these percentages will be represented in media.

Combined with the economic & social factors that are applied to the ethnicities (grouping together in poorer environments, lack of education leading to a lack of opportunity in the very poorly paid junior acting community, and intellectually challenging writing gigs) it's hardly surprising that there's an inbalance when it comes to minority demographics - as well as the tension between those pro-LGBT and anti, which has the potential to make figures drop significantly.

Change is slow, but if you look where we are now compared to 10 years ago - things have changed a lot for the better (except for the loss of LOST, that will never be for the better). All social change is slow, but it's coming. In 30 years time, marginalised demographics will have benefited from our progressive movements and have 30 years of experience in their roles - meaning that they will be qualified for the best jobs in a society that legally can't discriminate. Any positive shift (like Brooklyn 99) is part of a long term plan and should be applauded, but I don't feel that we should expect full representation of all communities in the next 5 years, it's just not realistic.

I say this as I'm constantly sad that South Asian characters are continually left out of almost everything (save the soaps) yet are relatively prevalent in both the UK & the US. East Asian even moreso.

WHILE I'M ON MY RANT OF MADNESS.

I'd hate it for Idris Elba to be Bond. Stop making characters change and start making new characters. Luther is a brilliant example, because he's Black but it's not his defining feature. The part wasn't even written for a Black actor, but growing up in East London and being ~40, Luther could have grown up with little racial tension - being a minority would have affected James Bond's childhood and therefore shaped his personality. If you want a minority James Bond, WRITE A CHARACTER WHO IS BASICALLY A MINORITY JAMES BOND. AND. A female Doctor in Doctor Who would work - but there are few non-violent male leading characters who act with empathy and have a strong moral fortitude that I believe it'd be a shame to take him away as a role model for young boys growing up.

It's good to be back.
By Nicola_Red
All very true and excellent points! I'd like Idris Elba to be Bond but that's mainly cos I kind of fancy him and I've never fancied any Bond and kind of feel like I'm missing out on something, especially with Daniel Craig. I totally agree with what you said about the character.
By chrysostom
Luther is so much better than Bond. James Bond is essentially an intelligent, high functioning sociopath who was drafted into the secret service after a sheltered childhood. He numbs the pain of his obligation to murder people by drinking, and compensates for the loss of his mother by sleeping with every woman he meets and leaves them once he develops feelings for them. He is a horrible character who I've never liked (but the films are fun).
By Topher
I've only ever seen two Bond films I think (the first two Daniel Craig ones). Never seen a Bourne either.
By DevilsDuck
Topher wrote:I've only ever seen two Bond films I think (the first two Daniel Craig ones). Never seen a Bourne either.
You are a disgrace!

chrysostom wrote: He is a horrible character who I've never liked (but the films are fun).

He is a horrible character but that's why I like him.
By Badger Mark
Topher wrote:I plan to start Game of Thrones at some point. If anyone hasn't seen Daredevil on Netflix yet, definitely definitely watch it, it's ace.

Loved Daredevil! Can't wait for the 2nd season next year. Netfilix and Marvel have teamed up for 3 more series featuring different superheroes that eventually will come together for a bunch of crossover episodes. Next up is Jessica Jones.

The remaining two will be Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I know next to nothing about these 3 characters, but if the shows are as good as Daredevil, it's going to make for some great television.
By Topher
Yes and next week you are getting Agents of SHIELD series 3 in the states, so I shall be getting that as soon as it appears.
By flyingbadger
Topher wrote:Yes and next week you are getting Agents of SHIELD series 3 in the states, so I shall be getting that as soon as it appears.

That's one I didn't really get in to. Gave up after a few episodes.
Worth giving it another go?
By Topher
I think so, how far did you get? The end of series 1 is really brilliant and it continues into series 2 (with one disappointing episode I can think of). Around the time The Winter Soldier came out, the Agents of SHIELD tie in to that story got really good.

TCMS Unedited Monday December 9th, 2019 http[…]