Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Nicola_Red
chrysostom wrote:I believe it's now RomanticaStation, 973

ooh, I'll have a look this evening. I suspect that's right down in the dead zone with all the religious and foreign language channels that I never look at.
By Bonanzoid
As some people have included shows that are no longer being made, I must recommend Still Game. I think it was only shown in Scotland, but it's quite probably the best Scottish TV show ever.
By Nicola_Red
No, I think it was shown over here, maybe on BBC2. Another Scottish one that was glossed over in England is Gary: Tank Commander, that was great. I love Greg McHugh. Which brings me to Fresh Meat - I loved that too.
By dimtimjim
Nicola_Red wrote: Fresh Meat - I loved that too.

Is that ironic...? Or just a subliminal message?!!
By a-moron
Nicola_Red wrote:No, I think it was shown over here, maybe on BBC2. Another Scottish one that was glossed over in England is Gary: Tank Commander, that was great. I love Greg McHugh. Which brings me to Fresh Meat - I loved that too.

You've been Tedious Linking too much Nic.
By Nicola_Red
dimtimjim wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote: Fresh Meat - I loved that too.

Is that ironic...? Or just a subliminal message?!!

What do you mean? It was a great show, why would I be being ironic?
By Johnny 1989
Nicola_Red wrote:Er...Mad Men! But I'm sure everyone has seen that, it's hardly under the radar. I'm obsessed with it though. Almost as badly as I was with Lost, although not quite.

I've heard of it, am aware of Christina Hendricks (yum) however never watched in BBC 2 & now Sky have pinched it I'll probably never watch it ever.

tizer wrote:one that's yet to start in the uk is suits, proper good telly and i hear that dave is showing it so your not going to be able to miss it

I thought about watching it but if it's as good as you say the first series or two will be on Dave & then Sky will pinch it again like they do with everything else.

If we're recommending shows I'd go with the following (current & classic):

BlackAdder (Series 2-4, don't bother with Series 1)
Red Dwarf (Series 2-6 especially, 1, 7 & 8 have their moments but they're not a patch on Series 2-6)
Father Ted
Open All Hours (An under rated gem that sadly gets forgotten about these days)
Porridge
Spaced (another under rated gem)
Only Fools & Horses
No Angels (another one that many don't know about)
Black Books
Not Going Out (three people on here at least will disagree with that :-P )
Teachers (Series 1-3 only, don't bother with series 4 it's awful)
Outnumbered
Bottom (yes I know it's crude but it still makes me laugh)
Desmonds
By tizer
Johnny 1989 wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote:Er...Mad Men! But I'm sure everyone has seen that, it's hardly under the radar. I'm obsessed with it though. Almost as badly as I was with Lost, although not quite.

I've heard of it, am aware of Christina Hendricks (yum) however never watched in BBC 2 & now Sky have pinched it I'll probably never watch it ever.

tizer wrote:one that's yet to start in the uk is suits, proper good telly and i hear that dave is showing it so your not going to be able to miss it

I thought about watching it but if it's as good as you say the first series or two will be on Dave & then Sky will pinch it again like they do with everything else.

If we're recommending shows I'd go with the following (current & classic):

BlackAdder (Series 2-4, don't bother with Series 1)
Red Dwarf (Series 2-6 especially, 1, 7 & 8 have their moments but they're not a patch on Series 2-6)
Father Ted
Open All Hours (An under rated gem that sadly gets forgotten about these days)
Porridge
Spaced (another under rated gem)
Only Fools & Horses
No Angels (another one that many don't know about)
Black Books
Not Going Out (three people on here at least will disagree with that :-P )
Teachers (Series 1-3 only, don't bother with series 4 it's awful)
Outnumbered
Bottom (yes I know it's crude but it still makes me laugh)
Desmonds

Id like to add a few

Big train (classic sketch comedy)
Studio 60 on the sunset strip
House (early series)
Monkey dust (bbc three animation comedy)
the young ones

just a few but some of the thinks i have been watching on dvd recently
By Yudster
Did anyone other than me like Leverage? Also I love NCIS. But then Mark Harmon, Michael Weatherley - mmm.
By Nicola_Red
I'm amazed that there are people who don't know what Mad Men is. You need to get on it. On it like a car bonnet, in fact.

Did anyone watch Pan Am? I quite fancied the look of it, but I do know it's been cancelled, so not sure if it's worth downloading.
By DarroM
My father likes that Leverage show Yudster mentioned. Haven't watched it myself so not sure what it is exactly about! I love Bottom especially the live shows when they screwed up their lines etc. Some of the shows I quite like:

Father Ted
Frasier
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (only watched through the series last year but I loved it and spent an entire Sunday watching episodes I was that into it, could be considered somewhat cheesy by some)
Family Guy (the first bunch of seasons pretty much)
The Simpsons (everyone knows it and like Family Guy, only the first bunch of seasons are the classics)
True Blood
Peep Show
Game of Thrones (can't wait for Season 2 and love the fact some of it was filmed in Northern Ireland) :)
Band of Brothers (mini series and still one of the best programmes ever made in my opinion)

I have The Wire series on DVD but yet to watch it. Mad Men I would like to check out also. I don't tend to watch a whole lot of TV shows now and just go back to what I'm used to watching.
By Yudster
Leverage is kind of like a cross between The A-Team and Oceans 11.
By richbrown
2point4 Children was brilliant. The BBC have more or less abandoned it now and don't even acknowledge its existence on their website.
By Johnny 1989
richbrown wrote:2point4 Children was brilliant. The BBC have more or less abandoned it now and don't even acknowledge its existence on their website.

Yeah I liked it a lot as well, it trailed off a bit during the last series but it was funny for the first 4-5 series. It's odd that the BBC seem to acknowledge it any more, I guess the same is also for The Detectives, that was another great BBC comedy of the early 90's that seems to have been forgot about now.

Regarding Red Dwarf, 4 of 6 episodes have been filmed now & the audience reaction has been very positive, the show is going back to the feel of Series II-VI which was always my favourite period (Series V was my most favourite in particular).
By Nicola_Red
The thing with these old comedies like 2.4 Children or The Detectives is that they won't necessarily be as funny as you remember. Shows that are constantly repeated like Only Fools or Fawlty Towers stay fresh in people's minds, but if you watch something that you haven't seen in 20yrs you might be in for a surprise at how dated it seems.

This happened to me with the early 90s alternative sketch comedy show The Mary Whitehouse Experience - when I was a student I thought it was hilarious, my friends and I would quote catchphrases from it to each other. After much digging my flatmate finally found and downloaded someone's dodgy vhs rip of the show (it was never released on dvd). When I sat down to watch, I very quickly realised that it just isn't funny. It pains me to say that, but it's aged horribly. I think sometimes its better to just leave things like that where they are, in your memory, rather than dredge them up and be disappointed.

(incidentally, one of the stars of the MW Experience was Outnumbered and Mock The Week favourite Hugh Dennis. Considered one of the 'back two' behind Rob Newman and David Baddiel, he's probably the most recognisable tv face of the lot now.)
By MK Chris
Outnumbered is brilliant, so funny.

I think the BBC occasionally repeat The Detectives don't they? I loved that too.
By dimtimjim
Topher wrote:Outnumbered is brilliant, so funny.

I think the BBC occasionally repeat The Detectives don't they? I loved that too.

Did you see the new BBC series 'One...' with Jasper Carrott? That was quite funny...
By Nicola_Red
Topher wrote:I think the BBC occasionally repeat The Detectives don't they? I loved that too.

If they have I've missed it. I would kinda like to see it again, but as I say, I feel I'm setting myself up for disappointment. Another one that happened to me with is Bread - I loved it at the time, my mum bought one of the series on dvd recently, and it just isn't funny. In fact I was left wondering how I ever found it funny.
By MK Chris
I've only ever seen Bread early in the morning on UK Gold and no, not funny.
By Nicola_Red
We watched it religiously when I was a kid. Goodness knows why.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]