Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By dimtimjim
Bad weekend.

Not only did mighty-mighty-Leicester lose to the side currently bottom of Championship, but those twunts at Villa managed to drag 'emselves out of relegation zone.

Not a good footballing weekend.
By Longview01
Yudster wrote:The unique thing about Layer Road used to be the particular strain of tetanus you had to be innoculated against if you cut yourself on the rusting corrugated iron that dotted around the place, or the hacking cough experienced by so many regulars in the "Shed" - which was roofed with asbestos.

The unique thing about The Weston Homes Community Stadium, our new ground, is how on match day each individual fan can have a whole row of seats to himself. Not much point in building a 15,000 seat stadium when we can barely average a crowd of 3,500.

God I miss Layer Road
By The Deadly
Anyone else hoping Real Madrid dick all over Manchester United? My hate for Manchester United overtakes any patriotism.
Last edited by The Deadly on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Bruvva
Oh Manchester United are pure footballing evil, a plague of locusts would be too good for them.
By chrysostom
I like Mourinho more than I like United, so I hope they get a win at Old Trafford (or at least a high scoring draw).

Plus, if RVP gets the Premier League AND the Champions League in the season after leaving Arsenal, I might cry.
By Yudster
Well, I live in a house full of United fans so its easier for me to go with the flow - but they are also Real Madrid fans (as am I), and we all love Cristiano Ronaldo. So I can find a positive in it whatever happens!
By DevilsDuck
chrysostom wrote:I like Mourinho more than I like United, so I hope they get a win at Old Trafford (or at least a high scoring draw).

Plus, if RVP gets the Premier League AND the Champions League in the season after leaving Arsenal, I might cry.

It would be funny!

Yudster wrote:Well, I live in a house full of United fans so its easier for me to go with the flow - but they are also Real Madrid fans (as am I), and we all love Cristiano Ronaldo. So I can find a positive in it whatever happens!

I dont understand womans logic!
By Yudster
chrysostom wrote:
DevilsDuck wrote:It would be funny!

DUCK YOU.

It would though. Although Arsene wouldn't see it.
By Bruvva
DevilsDuck wrote:Awww, jealousy is such an horrible trait

Actually, I'll rephrase that. Nowt to do with jealousy, hated your lot in the 80s and 90s, it's now down to general loathing but I'm too old to get really bothered by it all.
By DevilsDuck
I don't understand it, I respect liverpool/arsenal etc for what they were, but I dont hate or loath them. Football would be boring without them
By The Deadly
The downturn in fortunes happens to all the big clubs though. I'm sure Manchester United will have their low point when Fergie goes. Newcastle went from title contenders to relegated within ten years and it could be argued that Arsenal are at their low point now but that's debatable. I think Spurs will be the next team to be first time winners of the Premiership and I don't think it's too far off. Just need a bit more investment in the summer.
By DevilsDuck
I don't think spurs will win the prem any time soon. They will sell Bale and sink back to mid table obscurity. ARSEnal only need a player or two to challenge again.
By The Deadly
That's the problem with Spurs. The summer will show their fans the clubs intentions. If they keep hold of Bale and buy a world class striker and central midfielder then they will have what it takes. Maybe they could re-sign Modric who is having a terrible season in Spain. You are probably going to be right about Bale though. One of the big boys will come in for him and offer £60million and they will sell.
By chrysostom
Spurs distribute their money incredibly well - and they're looking to buy a new stadium. They could channel funds into trying to break the top 3 - or they could build sensibly for the future, allowing them to increase matchday revenue in the long run (while running up non-football related debt by building the stadium, that won't be included in FFP) and have them compete at the higher level in the future.

Bale will go for around £45m I reckon, most likely to Real Madrid. Barca are too focused on team play, Italy can't afford him and Spurs would HATE to sell to Man Utd or Chelsea.

As for Arsenal, we are short of 2 top quality players. A holding midfielder with good distribution (as always) and a lethal finisher to provide competition/backup to Giroud. Players like these are very expensive in today's market, and command wages of £100k+ (if they're proven). That's why I don't think we'll get them.

Sadly, we also have too many players on our books that we don't want and can't sell.

Santos, Squillaci, Djourou, Arshavin, Denilson, Bendtner (who I would take back at the club), Chamakh, Park Ju-Young, Mannone. All on wages of around a total of £415k per week. Without shedding these players who add nothing to the club, we cannot afford to bring in new players on high wages.

Not to mention the players who are massive injury worries (Gibbs, Diaby & Rosicky).

Our first team squad is in a bad way, whereas our starting XI is ok. That's why the Arsenal can get a decent result on our day, but we're SO inconsistent.
By The Deadly
I wouldn't rule out Man City buying Bale, especially if Mourinho takes over in the summer. Apparently he is a big admirer of Bale and at £45million it would be a bargain! Although I think if Spurs were to sell to an English club they would want at least £60 million and with the financial fair play thing coming in to play I'm not sure if its viable.
By chrysostom
If Braga beat Rio Ave, and Reading can hold United to a draw - I'm on for a 150/1 from a £5 accumulator.

Pretty pissed off that the United game is on ESPN!

Also, saw this and found it interesting:

By Bonanzoid
Your graphics in this thread are rather brilliant chrysostom, thanks for keeping my simple mind entertained.

I was pretty delighted with Liverpool's result yesterday, especially given the terrible week they'd had. It's probably too simplistic to look at it like this, but why the hell not? The main difference between the impotent losses to West Brom and Zenit and the thumping of a slightly understrength Swansea was Daniel Sturridge. I was slightly skeptical when he joined for £12m, he had seemed a bit * and not as good as he thought he was but he's proved me wrong as he's been a pretty vital addition to the team. His link up play with Suarez has been very promising.
By The Deadly
Liverpool need Champions League qualification this season to attract world class talent. I hope they can do it to mix things up a bit but I can't see it.
By chrysostom
Arsenal Vs. Bayern tonight. I can't see us getting anything more than a respectable draw - but that's mainly to stop myself getting excited.

By Bruvva
Deadly wrote:Liverpool need Champions League qualification this season to attract world class talent. I hope they can do it to mix things up a bit but I can't see it.

6th/7th probably but *shrugs* meh. Nothing short of a catastrophic shakeup in English football will dislodge Man Utd/City/Chelsea from the top 3 in the foreseeable future, the amount of money they have injected by the owners (for City and Chelsea) and the massive amounts awarded as prize money will just see those three stay where they are. Fourth spot could go to either Everton or Spuds but I believe Arsenal have the firepower upfront to clinch that, it'll be close though.

As for Arsenal tonight, 5th best team in England (as it stands) versus the German leaders, the result's not really a surprise.

Meanwhile, in PROPER football news, Kidderminster Harriers beat Forest Green Rovers to move up to 3rd in the Conference - playoff disappointment awaits! Hurrah! Or, failing that, 3 seasons bumping along the bottom of league 2 before ignominious relegation.

Saturday show is up. It looks like the beginning […]