Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By The Deadly
Feel bad for Perez. The last thing you want to hear from your team is "hold your positon, we need the points". Sauber were worried about the consequences of their car overtaking a Ferrari (who supply their engines). Would have looked a bit bad.
By dimtimjim
Looking bad, looking schmad - a race wins a race win. If that was me i'd have flew past for the win then exclaimed misunderstanding of the message, he clearly had the pace to do him, shame about that wee off track moment.
By Bonanzoid
Good race, and I'm very much enjoying the BBC coverage. I really think they're doing an outstanding job.

I'm up to 2nd in the league, which is good. Thought I had a pretty terrible week, but obviously some others' weeks were more so :D
By MK Chris
The rain makes it entirely unpredictable though. I did get one place spot on, which was Mark Webber.

I think the BBC coverage is good, but I'd still prefer the 50 minute build up to the race - I know they can only show highlights of the race itself, but I'd like all the pre-race analysis to be of the same quality.
By Bonanzoid
I got Mark Webber in 4th place too. 2nd consecutive week he's got me 10 points. I had Alonso right last week too, but unsurprisingly I didn't have him winning in Malaysia.
By MK Chris
What a race that was - really chuffed for Rosberg. He's clearly a very good driver and I've been saying for a while that he deserves a better drive (possibly taking Massa's place). Well, now he has a better drive, albeit for the same team and he's shown what he can do.

Lewis already seems to have matured greatly since last season in his 'playing the long game' strategy and it's paying off - three third places and leading the championship will do nicely. Consistency is the key.
By dimtimjim
Yeah, yesterday was a great race... Loved it. Pleased for LH.
By MK Chris
For the first time ever, I deliberately avoided watching the race - it should never have gone ahead.
By dimtimjim
I was the opposite, I avoided all the guff surrounding the event and jus' watched the race...

Poor Lewis, 3 delayed pit stops in one race. Shame Kimmi didn't push Seb all the way to the line.
By MK Chris
dimtimjim wrote:I avoided all the guff surrounding the event......

That guff is people's lives.
By dimtimjim
Wasn't intended as derogatory. But, the whole situation is out of my hands, so why get involved? I just wanted to watch a motor race - the politics behind it is for someone on a higher pay grade than me.
By MK Chris
It's out of your hands as an individual, but that doesn't stop you from registering your protest by refusing to watch. I did and it'll make very little difference, but I would have felt guilty watching it knowing who was benefiting from my interest. I'm not suggesting everyone should follow my lead, but if more people did what they thought was right - without giving thought to how much difference it would make - then the likelihood of the collective actions of those people making a difference is far greater.
By Bonanzoid
I couldn't watch even if I had wanted to as I was working, but I got lucky because I forgot to change my predictions and ended up having Vettel as pole, fastest lap, and winner. Top of the league now!
By dimtimjim
Having had a busy week at work last week I didn't see much news, so don't really know what all the 'fuss' is about. I heard there were protests, but... S'all I know.

So, no guilt watching the race, as to me it was just that - a race. Could have been Spain or anywhere, to me. I'm a motorsport fan, not a politics fan.
By MK Chris
What message is that?
By chrysostom
Cancelling would give out the best political message possible - but the financial loss (and presumably compensation they'd have to pay for those with screening rights) would just be too great for the industry to justify a boycott in my opinion. Although I don't know how long F1 bosses had to prepare for this situation.
By MK Chris
They cancelled last year at very short notice. I don't think necessarily the screening rights holders would be an issue, I think it's the very large sum that the Bahraini authorities paid Bernie to put the race on would have to be refunded. But then why should that money matter when people's lives are at stake?
By The Deadly
Topher wrote:What message is that?

That violent protests work. Bahrain isn't anywhere near the level of Syria in terms of political unrest and a few people who want to cause unrest shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of mine and other F1 fans enjoyment of the sport.
By MK Chris
The people of Bahrain were engaging in peaceful protests until they were suppressed by the government - the protesters are not at fault.
By Yudster
Deadly wrote:

That violent protests work. Bahrain isn't anywhere near the level of Syria in terms of political unrest and a few people who want to cause unrest shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of mine and other F1 fans enjoyment of the sport.

There haven't been any violent protests, just government-sanctioned massacres of peaceful ones.
By Bonanzoid
I heard it cost £3million to cancel it last year. May not be true, but if it is I can see why they didn't want to do so again this year, from a purely financial point of view.
By Yudster
The point being that it shouldn't need to be cancelled and cost anyone anything, because it shouldn't have been scheduled in the first place.
By The Deadly
Yudster wrote:
Deadly wrote:

There haven't been any violent protests, just government-sanctioned massacres of peaceful ones.

There have been many incidents just this weekend of protesters burning things and causing damage to property. How isn't that violent?

Editing gap to come for a few days.