Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By slaphead1982
They said that they'll "Retire" her character but I think it would be more fitting to have an episode about her character leaving Springfield in some sort of way using her preiouse voice recordings. I know that would be hard work for all involved but her Character was well loved in the series and deserves more than to just fade away.
By Badger Mark
slaphead1982 wrote:They said that they'll "Retire" her character but I think it would be more fitting to have an episode about her character leaving Springfield in some sort of way using her preiouse voice recordings. I know that would be hard work for all involved but her Character was well loved in the series and deserves more than to just fade away.

I agree. I have to think they'll come up with some way to really honor her and her character. Not sure if it will be addressed this season. From what I know about the show, they work about a 6 months to a year ahead of what actually airs on TV. Perhaps they'll do something at the start of next season? Who knows though.
By Yudster
Oh no, Marcie Wallace. She was wonderful.
By Nicola_Red
Phil Hartman, who played Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz, died in 1998. If I recall rightly, after he died they just said the characters wouldn't be used again. But they were only ever incidental characters so probably much easier to just stop writing for. Edna was quite a central character, so hopefully they'll give her some sort of send-off. The sad thing is that it will involve Ned losing a second wife, especially as the fans voted for them to stay together. I absolutely loved their storyline - Edna was such a strong character, and refused to be shamed. I always think the Simpsons writers write the female characters so well - Lisa Simpson is one of my heroes. She's stronger than many live-action female characters on TV, and she's eight years old.
By dimtimjim
Nicola_Red wrote: Lisa Simpson is one of my heroes.

Heroines?
By Topher
Ned is married to Edna now?!
By chrysostom
For 2 years.

Great point from Nic - if they kill off Edna, it will be unbearably sad (from a character perspective) for the whole Flanders family. I remember the episodes where Ned (as well as Rod/Todd) was getting past his grief over Maud's passing as particularly emotional, but there's also the deep bond between Edna and Bart too.

Oh no.
By Nicola_Red
dimtimjim wrote:

Heroines?

Heroine was traditionally the female equivalent, but hero is considered a gender-neutral word these days. I think I just automatically use hero for either male or female.

(http://grammarist.com/usage/heroin-heroine/)
By dimtimjim
Nicola_Red wrote: hero is considered a gender-neutral word these days.

Ah, like flight attendant, fire fighter and dirty-stop-out.

Furry muff.
By Yudster
Nicola_Red wrote:
dimtimjim wrote:

Heroines?

Heroine was traditionally the female equivalent, but hero is considered a gender-neutral word these days. I think I just automatically use hero for either male or female.

(http://grammarist.com/usage/heroin-heroine/)

Manager is another. Why does the word manageress need to exist?
By Topher
Yep - come to think of it, what is the point of any gender specific job title? It can ONLY be used to discriminate that I can think of.
By Nicola_Red
Topher wrote:Yep - come to think of it, what is the point of any gender specific job title? It can ONLY be used to discriminate that I can think of.

Yeah, I dunno. I think words like 'actress' are steadily becoming more outdated.
By G-Sizzle
Gutted about Edna CrabApple, she was hilarious!
But fortunately I don't watch the new episodes of the Simpsons because they are piss-poor compared to their 90s prime so I won't actually miss her
By Nicola_Red
G-Sizzle wrote:Gutted about Edna CrabApple

Krabappel. The hint "Mrs K' is right above you!
By Yudster
Nicola_Red wrote:
Topher wrote:Yep - come to think of it, what is the point of any gender specific job title? It can ONLY be used to discriminate that I can think of.

Yeah, I dunno. I think words like 'actress' are steadily becoming more outdated.

"Actress" was actually a Victorian euphemism for prostitute, so as a word to describe a female actor it doesn't exist anyway.
By G-Sizzle
Nicola_Red wrote:
G-Sizzle wrote:Gutted about Edna CrabApple

Krabappel. The hint "Mrs K' is right above you!

Look at the way I've spelt it. Crab-Apple is a reference to Millhouse who calls her Crab Apple.

The hints are in the episodes of The Simpsons on TV!
By chrysostom
*when Milhouse becomes a bully*

Edna: What happened to my little class coward?
Milhouse: What do you care, Mrs. Krabappel. Or should I say Mrs. Crab-Apple! Hahaha.
Kearney: Crab apple?
Jimbo: I never thought of that
Girl: It toally works.
Dolph: Oh how could I have been so blind.
By The Deadly
Most long running series aren't as good as the earlier series. If you watched a new Simpsons series without seeing the old ones you'd probably think it was great TV. The Simpsons have been around for so long and covered so many topics its hard to write hilarious material without recycling old ideas or writing new bad ideas.
By Nicola_Red
I think they're great. They did go through a fallow period where it seemed like they were struggling for ideas but then they picked right back up again, much like South Park. I don't currently have Sky - we can't get sky+ cos our building has a shared dish, so we're still debating if it's worth getting it without that - but one of the things I miss is new Simpsons.

Thanks, both shows are up