The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By Gemmoxx
Hello! I was just trying to google this question after a conversation with my boyfriend and came across this forum, so thought I'd pose my question to the people that would know best!
I used to be a regular listener to the show, but stopped earlier in the year for one reason or another. My boyfriend still listens in the car occasionally, and I was with him a couple of months ago when he had it on and Chris's voice sounded really different to me. And there was a fair bit of coughing, and hocking and throat clearing going on that was kind of gross, but I thought maybe he just had a cold or something. And it was super early, so maybe it was just that his voice hadn't warmed up properly yet.
Anyway, I caught the show again last week, and noticed that his voice sounded a bit off to me again, same as last time. There wasn't as much coughing and hocking as last time (thank goodness!), but his voice still sounded really thick and kind of phlegmy. And you know when people are dehydrated and you can hear all those clicks and ticks and pops and slops when they talk, and when they do that sort of tutting thing before they start a sentence? Well, it sounded like that :-/
I thought maybe it was the crappy speakers in my boyfriends car, so I turned it off and downloaded the app to listen, but it was still the same. Plus Pippa and Dom sounded absolutely fine. If it was a problem with his mic, surely he or a producer would have picked up on it and changed the mic?
Anyway, I was just wondering whether anyone else has noticed? Has it been mentioned? Is he just poorly a lot? Has age/smoking caught up with him? Or has he always sounded like that and I'm only noticing now I'm not a regular listener?
Thanks!
By Randomisation20
Having gone back to my old show run through which has slowed up tremendously since listening to the x shows obviously it’s interesting how Chris‘s voice is different speaking low into the microphone it’s not mumbling but it is very different from his more upbeat consistency on the voice on the new show
This is particularly noticeable on the half an hour chat section at the beginning of the show

Whilst I love the x show which is got a lot sharper over the last year I’ve still got a deep love for the old show ll I love the quirky cheekiness of it
By swaddon1903
I haven't really noticed any change to his voice. But him being a smoker for 30 years has probably taken its toll.

It's funny to hear the difference in his voice from the early Radio 1 days and today, though. He sounds like he's on helium in the old shows!

Thank you both!!