The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
It'll sound perfectly fine to 99% of people listening, that's why they can broadcast at such a low bitrate anyway, but for archiving I think it's nice to have it in the best quality possible.

Even I can admit that, listening through speakers, it sounds fine. (Plug in headphones and it really does sound bad).
It's probably because 80kbps mono is not a million miles away, sound-wise, from 112kbps Stereo which is what they were using in London.

I don't know the exact ins-and-outs of MP2, but as a rough guide stereo needs about double the bandwidth, so although you'll lose the spatial experience that stereo provides, the actual quality of the broadcast shouldn't be too bad (maybe even on-par with 160kbps Stereo).

Doesn't make it OK to broadcast in mono though!

Edit: Sandy Beech has confirmed he's working on the jingles for the new show
James H wrote:It's probably because 80kbps mono is not a million miles away, sound-wise, from 112kbps Stereo which is what they were using in London.

I don't know the exact ins-and-outs of MP2, but as a rough guide stereo needs about double the bandwidth, so although you'll lose the spatial experience that stereo provides, the actual quality of the broadcast shouldn't be too bad (maybe even on-par with 160kbps Stereo).

Doesn't make it OK to broadcast in mono though!

Edit: Sandy Beech has confirmed he's working on the jingles for the new show

MP2 is so old but the 192kbps+ bitrates are better and was designed for that. Unfortunately OFCOM wanted to offer choice and didn't understand the sound quality would suffer greatly (or didn't care listeners cared).

I'll be online only most of the time as I don't have DAB in my car and my radios at home are internet ones. I'm also going to setup a cloud computer that will record the CMS everyday and upload it somewhere for reference.

Listening to the UK stream now. Crazy to hear adverts already! I assume they have commitments from XFM era for ads. This is all pretty typical for pre-launch for a station. I'd imagine sound levels, processing, music and everything will be tinkered around with. Music selection is sounding good and not as "blokey" as reported.
Tunster wrote:MP2 is so old but the 192kbps+ bitrates are better and was designed for that. Unfortunately OFCOM wanted to offer choice and didn't understand the sound quality would suffer greatly (or didn't care listeners cared).

I can't begin to complain enough that we're at 2015 and there's only one potential DAB+ service coming, and that is only to "stimulate take-up of DAB+ compatible radios"
caroleandon wrote:I know it's sad but ..... I AM SOOOOO EXCITED

So am I!
I never believed I'd be this happy to have Chris and Dom return

I haven't read all of the recent post so I apologize in advance but can please someone be so nice to me and tell me if the shows (without the music) will be uploaded here? I have installed the app and I will listen to it live but unfortunately due to work I won't be able to listen to everything.
James H wrote:Thank goodness I went for a DAB radio for this mornings listening then! I'll take 80kbps mono over flakey stereo.

Yep, I'm listening through headphones though so haven't got a portable DAB.

Managed to get signal on 97.7FM in mono if I stand in the right place though!
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]

Saturday show is up