The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
q wrote:Here we go, day 2 of Chris on Radio X. For best results, right click here and save to your hard drive.

Full show in HQ, no edits, so everything's in as broadcast. If you want to stream it you may, but it could be buffer o'clock as the server gets busier. Enjoy! :D

Thanks again!

From where I am I can get the Manchester FM signal on 97.7, but it comes and goes. It's only mono but decent in the morning and nighttime, but, for example, at the moment it's just interference. Atmospherics, eh? As long as it works in the morning, that's alright. Until I get a DAB alarm clock anyway.

I have a question about the start of the show. Aren't the pips (aka the Greenwich Time Signal) a BBC thing? I wonder if they're burnt into the beginning of the Cheesy Song/Radio X mashup jingle.
TripleHelix wrote:
Tal16 wrote:Hi I've been browsing these pages for a few days now in anticipation of the new show. However I missed the show today does anyone know if it is possible to download it on the an iPhone

Tal16 - try iOS podcast app Downcast. It's a great podcast app in its own right, but if you tap "More" then "Import Media Files" you can point the app to the url of the show on the CM archive wiki, and it will download the show and sit in the app as if it were a podcast.

Can anyone on here set up the uploads of the new show as an RSS feed similar to the Breakfast Show Replay?

Trying this now. Thank you. :D
VMPhil wrote:I have a question about the start of the show. Aren't the pips (aka the Greenwich Time Signal) a BBC thing? I wonder if they're burnt into the beginning of the Cheesy Song/Radio X mashup jingle.

The pips are predominantly a BBC thing, and I believe the BBC have rules on how they are used, and not crashing them etc. However I believe they can be used by other radio stations in a variant form.
neilt0 wrote:
q wrote:Here we go, day 2 of Chris on Radio X. For best results, right click here and save to your hard drive.

Full show in HQ, no edits, so everything's in as broadcast. If you want to stream it you may, but it could be buffer o'clock as the server gets busier. Enjoy! :D

Thanks! Do you mind if I mirror that elsewhere?

This one is recorded from FM radio? It's a bit noisy, albeit the best we have so far! We may get a cleaner one later in the day, watch this space!
Badger Mark wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not those of us outside of the UK will be able to listen to Radio X online or otherwise? I know we can't listen to XFM currently. I've seen a couple of mentions of internet radio and how one might be able to listen to the show that way. There are many internet radio sites all over the place online, but would I need a specific app to listen to Radio X?Thanks!

I'm currently on holiday in the US and the radio x app works fine on android
Last edited by Nicola_Red on Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: fixed quote
neilt0 wrote:
neilt0 wrote:

Thanks! Do you mind if I mirror that elsewhere?

This one is recorded from FM radio? It's a bit noisy, albeit the best we have so far! We may get a cleaner one later in the day, watch this space!

For a good 6 years now there has been a problem with a pirate station either on 104.8 or 105 in London (They also tried 104.9 if i remember rightly) trying to transmit over the top of XFM. I can hear it today in the noise of the recorded mp3 that its still there!
Apologies if this has already been covered or is just plain obvious - Is it possible to listen again using the android radio x app?

I have so far been unable to work out how and have resorted to lugging my laptop around the house using the website to listen again. It really is only a matter of time before me or the laptop take a tumble down the stairs. :?
unionjackets wrote:
Badger Mark wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not those of us outside of the UK will be able to listen to Radio X online or otherwise? I know we can't listen to XFM currently. I've seen a couple of mentions of internet radio and how one might be able to listen to the show that way. There are many internet radio sites all over the place online, but would I need a specific app to listen to Radio X?Thanks!

I'm currently on holiday in the US and the radio x app works fine on android

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

someone on youtube has edited today's show and quality sounds ok
tavypilgrim wrote:Apologies if this has already been covered or is just plain obvious - Is it possible to listen again using the android radio x app?

I have so far been unable to work out how and have resorted to lugging my laptop around the house using the website to listen again. It really is only a matter of time before me or the laptop take a tumble down the stairs. :?

Download the show and copy the MP3 to your phone.
For listening live on Android, rather than the official app or TuneIn, both of which are bloated, I've found that an app called Serve Stream works very well. Install it, then go to www.radiofeeds.co.uk to grab the link for the stream (128k mp3).

Unlike with either TuneIn or the official app I was able to listen to the show via my bluetooth headphones and use a web browser or Facebook or Twitter without my phone's memory management deciding it was doing too much and killing the stream.
Dreamxtreme wrote:
neilt0 wrote:
neilt0 wrote:Thanks! Do you mind if I mirror that elsewhere?

For a good 6 years now there has been a problem with a pirate station either on 104.8 or 105 in London (They also tried 104.9 if i remember rightly) trying to transmit over the top of XFM. I can hear it today in the noise of the recorded mp3 that its still there!

Yes, feel free to mirror the downloads as is that I've put up for previous days. Will do more FM recording tonight (and for the rest of the week) but on Thursday/Friday it won't be loaded until around until 6pm or later as I'll be at work. The recording service isn't something I can provide indefinitely, as much as I'd love to as I have other demands on my time in the week.

Wasn't aware of the pirate, I always just put it down to the fact that X is one of the weaker stations reception wise, it's never been brilliant around these parts. Unless of course I get a stack of these bad-boys in my back garden? :D

The higher quality download has certainly proved popular, even more so than yesterday, so perhaps someone at Radio X/Global could take a look at cranking up the quality on their listen again?! Although it sounds like the servers can't even cope currently with the added load of live streaming... :wink:
q wrote:
Dreamxtreme wrote:
neilt0 wrote:This one is recorded from FM radio? It's a bit noisy, albeit the best we have so far! We may get a cleaner one later in the day, watch this space!

Yes, feel free to mirror the downloads as is that I've put up for previous days. Will do more FM recording tonight (and for the rest of the week) but on Thursday/Friday it won't be loaded until around until 6pm or later as I'll be at work. The recording service isn't something I can provide indefinitely, as much as I'd love to as I have other demands on my time in the week.

Wasn't aware of the pirate, I always just put it down to the fact that X is one of the weaker stations reception wise, it's never been brilliant around these parts. Unless of course I get a stack of these bad-boys in my back garden? :D

The higher quality download has certainly proved popular, even more so than yesterday, so perhaps someone at Radio X/Global could take a look at cranking up the quality on their listen again?! Although it sounds like the servers can't even cope currently with the added load of live streaming... :wink:

I know the guy who designed and builds those aerials in Sweden Peter Körner. They're not cheap but they are the best for fm. He does let you build them yourself though
http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/ is where a whole bunch of designs are including the korner 19.3 pictured above
Yeah, I had another quick glance at streamwriter on my laptop before I left for work and it doesn't look good again. I think I'll probably have to give up with the current stream. Gah.
If they are replying to tweets and stuff, might be worth asking them about the audio quality of certain streams for those that want better.
A bit hit or miss streaming again this morning.

Some of my observations;

1. Tunein pro, Audials app, the links from radiofeeds when played from Kodi all have issues and can't connect
2. The Radio X app did work so I wonder if they are somehow prioritising that or have updated the servers that they point to somehow (and not the other apps)
3. Although the Radio X app did work it also kept stopping after a while on my hudl2. This reminded me of the Radioplayer app I was testing last week on the transition week which would also do the same whereas Tunein Pro was rock solid. Therefore I'm not sure if this is due to an app/android and/or a stream issue. I have a feeling the Radio X app probably shares some of the same codebase as Radioplayer (which I haven't tried this week).

All a bit frustrating although I'd love to know where the issue is i.e. bandwidth / broadcast server application. It does seem a bit odd that it would be a bandwidth issue given how quickly you can get 10 - 20 Gbe servers in the cloud these days over multiple sites or even have a more on demand based solution that ramps up for popular shows. Which leads me to believe it might be the server application used to broadcast it.

Editing gap to come for a few days.