The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
hdsport82 wrote:
VMPhil wrote:Chris Evans had a lot to his advantage: taking his entire show and crew with him, having only a short period off air, constant advertising in News Corp owned publications The Sun and The Times, no ad breaks thanks to sponsorship deal with Sky, and similar music/can play what he wants.

Moyles on the other hand had a three year gap and came back with a mostly different crew on a station that is limited to rock and guitar based music. But Radio X has still had a slow but steady ratings increase since 2015. https://media.info/radio/stations/radio ... ng-figures

I think we can now see how much of an effect all but disappearing for 3 years can have on your career not just from this but from how ex-R1 presenters like Sara Cox have established themselves on R2.

Whatever the benefits of NewsCorp's backing you have to wonder how many people if you said Virgin Radio to them prior to Evans would have thought of the 1215AM version (now Absolute). Now of course the money being poured into promoting the show (and into Evans' pockets) is something Moyles hasn't had so to have hit 1m already and as a result overall massively increased the stations reach (447k to 1.3m) already seems a pretty big achievement.

So whilst you can't say the new show has been a failure I'm not sure it's been the roaring success Chris maybe expected/hoped for and maybe with Evans having surpassed him in just under 3 months I'm thinking that come September he'll be off.

Interesting.

On your last para...where do you think he'd go? Or "retire" from radio again?
Fledge wrote:Interesting.

On your last para...where do you think he'd go? Or "retire" from radio again?

No idea he may well end staying and whilst I admit I'm not the avid listener I once was, I often switch off once the first record is played, I get this impression that maybe he's had enough of breakfast.

Phil Williams' gig that's just gone to Sarah Brett on 5 Live would have been perfect for him to try and reinvent himself.
hdsport82 wrote:
VMPhil wrote:Chris Evans had a lot to his advantage: taking his entire show and crew with him, having only a short period off air, constant advertising in News Corp owned publications The Sun and The Times, no ad breaks thanks to sponsorship deal with Sky, and similar music/can play what he wants.

Moyles on the other hand had a three year gap and came back with a mostly different crew on a station that is limited to rock and guitar based music. But Radio X has still had a slow but steady ratings increase since 2015. https://media.info/radio/stations/radio ... ng-figures

I think we can now see how much of an effect all but disappearing for 3 years can have on your career not just from this but from how ex-R1 presenters like Sara Cox have established themselves on R2. Imagine if he'd started a new show early in 2013 rather than September 2015, even better if he'd been able to plug it in on breakfast (e.g. if he'd taken the John Peel slot as rumoured).

Whatever the benefits of NewsCorp's backing you have to wonder how many people if you said Virgin Radio to them prior to Evans would have thought of the 1215AM version (now Absolute). Now of course the money being poured into promoting the show (and into Evans' pockets) is something Moyles hasn't had so to have hit 1m and as a result helped with massively increasing the station's reach (447k to 1.3m) seems a pretty big achievement.

So whilst you can't say the new show has been a failure I'm not sure it's been the roaring success Chris maybe expected/hoped for and maybe with Evans having surpassed him in just under 3 months I'm thinking that come September he'll be off.

The constant advertising I was referring to was actually after Chris Evans was signed up - apparently there's been lots of ads in those papers for the show.

I remember at some point in the last year on the show Chris was moaning about an article incorrectly saying he had been sacked by the BBC, instead saying the BBC were willing to give him almost any slot he wanted and wanted to make it work to keep him on Radio 1. If he'd done that who knows where he'd be now. But rightly or wrongly he wanted a break from radio. Also remember there was the tax avoidance story and he probably didn't want to be on the air when that broke.

I like the show more now but when it started I did think it was a mistake to try and do a very similar format to what he'd been doing for years on Radio 1, especially given his most prominent on air partner wasn't there anymore. I would have been very interested in hearing Chris do a solo late night Radio 1 show.

As for leaving Radio X. I'm not so sure, to be honest I'd be surprised if he decided to give it up, especially given he recently tweeted that he'd done his best shows yet. His mate Ashley Tabor happens to run the company too.

If he does want to do something different, I hear there's an opening for Saturday mornings on 5 Live!
VMPhil wrote:
hdsport82 wrote:

I think we can now see how much of an effect all but disappearing for 3 years can have on your career not just from this but from how ex-R1 presenters like Sara Cox have established themselves on R2. Imagine if he'd started a new show early in 2013 rather than September 2015, even better if he'd been able to plug it in on breakfast (e.g. if he'd taken the John Peel slot as rumoured).

Whatever the benefits of NewsCorp's backing you have to wonder how many people if you said Virgin Radio to them prior to Evans would have thought of the 1215AM version (now Absolute). Now of course the money being poured into promoting the show (and into Evans' pockets) is something Moyles hasn't had so to have hit 1m and as a result helped with massively increasing the station's reach (447k to 1.3m) seems a pretty big achievement.

The constant advertising I was referring to was actually after Chris Evans was signed up - apparently there's been lots of ads in those papers for the show.

I remember at some point in the last year on the show Chris was moaning about an article incorrectly saying he had been sacked by the BBC, instead saying the BBC were willing to give him almost any slot he wanted and wanted to make it work to keep him on Radio 1. If he'd done that who knows where he'd be now. But rightly or wrongly he wanted a break from radio. Also remember there was the tax avoidance story and he probably didn't want to be on the air when that broke.

I like the show more now but when it started I did think it was a mistake to try and do a very similar format to what he'd been doing for years on Radio 1, especially given his most prominent on air partner wasn't there anymore. I would have been very interested in hearing Chris do a solo late night Radio 1 show.

As for leaving Radio X. I'm not so sure, to be honest I'd be surprised if he decided to give it up, especially given he recently tweeted that he'd done his best shows yet. His mate Ashley Tabor happens to run the company too.

If he does want to do something different, I hear there's an opening for Saturday mornings on 5 Live!

Don't get me wrong the cross promotion of the Murdoch machine (nothing new was done massively with Sky especially in the early days when the newspapers were propping the whole thing up) is clearly a massive help for Evans but still to beat Moyles in one quarter on a station with worse DAB coverage and no FM at all still strikes me as a big achievement.

I understand the reasons behind the break and of course it's his life and doesn't need me or anyone to tell him what to do. If it meant he met Tiff etc. then great work isn't everything. It has though almost certainly made it much harder for the Radio X show to gain traction.

Of course he's friends/ex flatmates with Ashley but I'd say he's pretty ruthless (ask any of the local DJs/producers now out of work). I just wonder how long they will both want to keep it going maybe another year extension and then look elsewhere. It's just unlike with the departure from R1 it wouldn't shock me if come the summer we find out he's leaving in September.
A rehash of what I've posted on Digital Spy as they keep banging on about Chris going to R2 ... yawn.

The other way to look at it is that of Evans 9m listeners only 1m came over with Zoe remaining fairly static at 9m. So as I keep banging on about, inertia i.e. people just don't retune that dial and just keep listening to whatever as long as they are not annoyed. So assuming those 1m listeners went with Evans, Zoe has done well to attract 1m more with about 8m being inert and yes this isn't very scientific but hey ho.

Think its a good start for Evans who defo has the benefit of a short break between the UK's biggest breakfast show and his new one. You also can't underestimate the newscorp publicity machine grinding away for him and I can't work out how to stop the google newsfeed including the most trivial story made out of off the cuff comments. I expect he is happy he has beaten Moyles as if nothing less its the only benchmark he has got. Also a good start for Zoe as well and I expect the BBC are pleased as she is cheaper and a woman. She is also benefiting from inertia, the BBC launch promo and just generally being part of the BBC machine.
Moyles on the other hand has had some promo from Global but nothing on the scale that newscorp are providing for Evans or just being part of the BBC assumes.

Here are some of Moyles' rajar ratings;

4Q17 : 910k
1Q18 : 871k
4Q18 : 991k
1Q19 : 928k

So looking at 4Q18 then his listeners were at 991k and he is now on 928k so a drop of 63k or ~6.4%. The same period last year, 4Q17 910k and a drop in 1Q18 to 871k or 4.3%. So he is still up on this time last year but clearly taken a hit as well which I wouldn't say is a disaster really and there is a trend of a drop between 4Q and 1Q.

Source : https://www.rajar.co.uk/content.php?pag ... ket_trends

So on the whole yes Moyles has suffered for his long break but it was after 15 years at R1 as opposed to Evans who had his break earlier on and built his R2 career back up. Will be interesting to see if Evans is able to grow his listeners even more over the next few quarters. As for Moyles, if he is happy where he is and is making money for global then I don't see why he would leave unless someone is offering him more money which I doubt at the moment. Its a travesty that he won't be on a national fm station though and we'll just get fed the usual bland heart and capital crap. Is holden really getting £3m ?

Oh and I'm enjoying Johnny this week but I have been listening to his podcast for a while now, he's very funny.
So what did we all think of Chris' first parody song in 7yrs? I enjoyed it. Love that song anyway so it was nice to hear. I'll clip it for the vault at some point.
Yeah, loved the Trump song, though from looking on Youtube there have been numerous similar parodies since he came to political prominence!

I’ve always missed the song parodies on the new show, but guess they haven’t happened for a couple of reasons, one the absence of Comedy Dave, and also the fact that Chris doesn’t have to play crappy pop songs of the moment that are ripe for parody. Doing it to 30-year-old classics wouldn’t generally feel in keeping with what the station is, and giving that sort of treatment to new artists they’re trying to promote might not go down well with management either!
Randomisation20 wrote:Fart gags lol I would think although i I’m not being prudish about it I’m surprised they get away with the money collection on the letters feature without explaining where the money goes LOL

They explain it's for the drinks fund - they explicitly say that.
Photos on the radio. Please stop doing this.

I'm listening to Wednesday's show and they are spending * ages talking about photos we can't see. They're not on their Facebook page. They're not on Chris' Twitter. This is ridiculous. Stop it.
100% agree about the photos thing. Even if the photos are on twitter or facebook or whatever, there must be plenty of listeners who can't get out their phone and look at that precise moment - people driving, for example. It's just frustrating.

Thank you both!!