The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
VMPhil wrote:
Kylerickards1974 wrote:
VMPhil wrote:I wonder what the (presumably radio?) gig was that Chris was almost signed up to do. He was talking the other day about being paranoid about stuff (including the Channel 5 Chris Moyles Live/Live with Chris Moyles story) and thinking it might have been cancelled because someone he used to work with had told them to put the blinders on the deal… and he was right.

Evans?

Edit, was this Wednesdays show?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was Tuesday’s show in the first half hour. He was talking about his friendship with Phillip Schofield and his paranoia over whether Schofield actually likes him, before talking about the job he nearly got. It’s about 13 minutes into the edited version on here.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Amazingly I actually agree with Chris on this one. I thought last week was the best week of Radio X shows I’ve heard. I can’t say it’s the best ever as I haven’t listened to the show all the time since 2015, but still.

Yeah. The show has been brilliant so far this year. I can’t say I’ve heard every show but it’s the best it’s been right now.

I’ve been keeping up with the podcast the last month and there’s been so much funny stuff. Dom’s Cleaner stuff made me laugh out loud.
VMPhil wrote:I was amused by this incredibly specific Google suggestion when looking up Pippa's Twitter account. I guess a lot of people are nosey…

Ha! I had a bit of a go at a bloke commenting on the Radio X facebook page a while ago who suggested that Pippa is only with Toby cos of his family's money. I pointed out that Pippa has a successful career in her own right (not to mention that I think Toby's quite a good looking chap). I can't imagine being a regular listener and thinking Pippa would be with someone just for their money.
So, I’ve been listening to the 2016 edited versions from where I left off again since I’m at a point in time where I really can’t stand the music or ads. I said this at the time he left but Dave Masterman really was a big loss to the show. He contributed a lot to the show and eventually after being quite quiet really fit in with the team.

I’ve also seen he’s left Absolute to work with Elis and John again on a BBC station.
G-Sizzle wrote:Image

This tweet has now been deleted, I wonder if the bosses at Global have had a sense of humour failure again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised Chris took the bait with this one, I thought he generally just ignored it on Twitter and liked to point out on the show how many people tune in just to complain about how they can't stand listening to him. Could understand if he was p*ssed off but thought he sounded happy enough this morning when I caught the show on the way to work.
thiscrs wrote:

This tweet has now been deleted, I wonder if the bosses at Global have had a sense of humour failure again?

I was surprised Chris took the bait with this one, I thought he generally just ignored it on Twitter and liked to point out on the show how many people tune in just to complain about how they can't stand listening to him. Could understand if he was p*ssed off but thought he sounded happy enough this morning when I caught the show on the way to work.

It's just a simple joke isn't it? Objecting to only part of an insult to imply that you can't disagree with the rest...
Evs wrote:
thiscrs wrote:

It's just a simple joke isn't it? Objecting to only part of an insult to imply that you can't disagree with the rest...

Well yeah, which is why I was surprised it was deleted.

One thing that is apparent with the Radio X show is that when Chris gets interested in something he will not stop talking about it even when he's done it to death. In other words, for the love of God please stop going on about the bloody Avengers movies.
So the actual Radio X shows I think Have been much sharper and much more varied over the last six months what is interesting in March early April showers and I’m still trying to catch up is how remainer Chris is on the Brexit discussions I’ve got no problem as this represents my point of you but it is shining through in conversations LOL

Thank you once again for all of the folks on here who are diligently uploading all the shows it’s really much appreciated
Decided to try Chris Evans on Virgin Radio. I get that listening to music is not the main draw - it’s not the main reason why I listen to Moyles obviously - but it’s really annoying that he talks all over the start of the song and then it ends about 30 seconds later!
I've been listening to R1 but I can't say I'm a big fan. I used to enjoy Greg James on the occasion I heard his afternoon show but I'm really not getting on with him on breakfast. The features just all grate on me - maybe I'm finally getting too old for it! Although I still listen to and enjoy Scott Mills, Matt and Mollie, Dev and Alice etc. But yeah, I'm considering cracking out some old Moyles shows for next week's commute.
From radiotoday:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/05/rajar- ... -round-up/

Chris’ breakfast show – which also goes out on new digital spin-offs Virgin Radio Anthems and Virgin Radio Chilled – has an audience of 1.048m. That’s bigger than the 928,000 that Chris Moyles has taken 3 years to build up on Radio X breakfast in the same timeslot. Virgin as a station is only 237,000 behind Radio X, which has FM coverage in London and Manchester and a larger national digital coverage area.
Chris Evans had a lot to his advantage: taking his entire show and crew with him, having only a short period off air, constant advertising in News Corp owned publications The Sun and The Times, no ad breaks thanks to sponsorship deal with Sky, and similar music/can play what he wants.

Moyles on the other hand had a three year gap and came back with a mostly different crew on a station that is limited to rock and guitar based music. But Radio X has still had a slow but steady ratings increase since 2015. https://media.info/radio/stations/radio ... ng-figures
VMPhil wrote:Chris Evans had a lot to his advantage: taking his entire show and crew with him, having only a short period off air, constant advertising in News Corp owned publications The Sun and The Times, no ad breaks thanks to sponsorship deal with Sky, and similar music/can play what he wants.

Moyles on the other hand had a three year gap and came back with a mostly different crew on a station that is limited to rock and guitar based music. But Radio X has still had a slow but steady ratings increase since 2015. https://media.info/radio/stations/radio ... ng-figures

I think we can now see how much of an effect all but disappearing for 3 years can have on your career not just from this but from how ex-R1 presenters like Sara Cox have established themselves on R2. Imagine if he'd started a new show early in 2013 rather than September 2015, even better if he'd been able to plug it in on breakfast (e.g. if he'd taken the John Peel slot as rumoured).

Whatever the benefits of NewsCorp's backing you have to wonder how many people if you said Virgin Radio to them prior to Evans would have thought of the 1215AM version (now Absolute). Now of course the money being poured into promoting the show (and into Evans' pockets) is something Moyles hasn't had so to have hit 1m and as a result helped with massively increasing the station's reach (447k to 1.3m) seems a pretty big achievement.

So whilst you can't say the new show has been a failure I'm not sure it's been the roaring success Chris maybe expected/hoped for and maybe with Evans having surpassed him in just under 3 months I'm thinking that come September he'll be off.
Last edited by hdsport82 on Thu May 16, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you both!!