The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By Yudster
I think the R1 breakfast show is stagnant. Nothing has moved on since they started, all the features and regular items are exactly the same today as they were on day 1. Maybe the target audiece likes that kind of thing. I listen to Chris Evans in the morning now and his show is excellent.
By swaddon1903
Yudster wrote:I think the R1 breakfast show is stagnant. Nothing has moved on since they started, all the features and regular items are exactly the same today as they were on day 1. Maybe the target audiece likes that kind of thing. I listen to Chris Evans in the morning now and his show is excellent.

That's exactly what the BBC were aiming for when they let Chris Moyles go and replaced him with Grimshaw.

Moyles and Mills will probably be the last proper radio DJs to be on Radio 1. It'll be TV and internet celebrities that will fill the schedule of the future, not people who have been immersed in radio since they were kids and worked their way up through hospital and local radio.
By Misfit
I was tweeting about this the other day. I don't understand how Dan and Phil are on the radio, or why visualisation is such a big part of R1's make up now. Dan and Phils show is diabolical, but I understand why they're employed because they've brought lots of listeners across from youtube, however, I can't stand the fact people who are good at making 15 minute videos on youtube are being paraded as radio presenters.

cheers
Misfit (A jealous community radio presenter)
By Travis Bickle
Misfit wrote:I don't understand how Dan and Phil are on the radio, or why visualisation is such a big part of R1's make up.

Misfit wrote:I understand why they're employed because they've brought lots of listeners across from youtube

There you have it.
By chrysostom
Misfit wrote:I don't understand why visualisation is such a big part of R1's make up now

Multi platform broadcasting (using social & creating visual content, as well as combining with live events) is absolutely essential to the future of radio for young people.

I think it was Aled who came on and gave a long post about how young people listen to the radio, and also why. I'd say an overwhelming majority of R1's key demographic listens to the radio via the internet, while at home - and they don't listen solely for the music (otherwise they'd just use their ipod, youtube or spotify).
By Misfit
Travis Bickle wrote:
Misfit wrote:I don't understand how Dan and Phil are on the radio, or why visualisation is such a big part of R1's make up.

Misfit wrote:I understand why they're employed because they've brought lots of listeners across from youtube

There you have it.

Yes I understand the reasoning behind it, but I cant understand the reasoning? does that make sense. I cant understand why people who listen to the radio then want to go and watch the radio presenters act like idiots on youtube. Radio is sound!
By Misfit
One offs I dont mind, for example the marathon show, so much better because it was visualised but it feels like everything R1 do now is instantly uploaded to youtube! mental!
By chrysostom
But isn't that to provide short snippets of content which can be accessed globally, as well as in the UK (iPlayer) - but also because Youtube's video content sharing across different social platforms is much easier (and more beneficial to search ranking) than any other platform?

Not to mention it provides an instant bank of statistics which will help justify the costs of running certain events (eg. Live lounge)
By fatboydave73
Yudster wrote:I think the R1 breakfast show is stagnant. Nothing has moved on since they started, all the features and regular items are exactly the same today as they were on day 1. Maybe the target audiece likes that kind of thing. I listen to Chris Evans in the morning now and his show is excellent.

I tuned in the other day for the first time in a few months; it had descended into the realms of Radio North Norfolk, with Grimshaw playing a perfect Partridge.

It was cringe laden crap, which if I was in charge I wouldn't want anywhere near my flagship show.
By BBQ
Some people probably do that thing where they are listening to the radio, while texting while surfing the internet.

I think the best use of video on R1 is Innuendo Bingo. Why hear someone get spat on when you can watch it?
By fatboydave73
Tuned in this morning; Mills is in for Grimshaw today.

The show is 100% better than anything Grimshaw has put out. If BC had an ounce of common sense; he would do the neccessary and make this a permanent arrangement......
By Topher
That'll never happen, Mills is too old. He's also too crap, but that hasn't stopped them putting Grimshaw in.
By Topher
bmstinton93 wrote:Mills would fit perfectly on breakfast. His show is the best show on radio one.

That's really not saying much any more though, is it? All the shows are complete tripe now Sara Cox has gone.
By chrysostom
With Chris & the younger production team, the content is very youthful - but not isolating. Scott & Chris' friendship is also very endearing, a bit reminiscent of Chris & Dave's dynamic (but with a 15 year age gap).

Everything is explained before becoming a centric feature or theme, and then is still explained afterwards.

It's a very good show - that's sometimes runs low on fresh ideas. The day Mills goes off the air will be a very sad one for me.
By fatboydave73
I certainly enjoyed the show this morning; it was a good laugh, and everyone (including Fincham) sounded as if they were having a good time.

It sounded very much like TCMS from a few years back (not the stuff near the end, that was a bit laboured). They sounded like a bunch of mates, having a laugh who just happened to be broadcasting to 5 million listeners.

The banter sounded less scripted, and the second half of the Nixtape just sounded like they had raided the cupboard under the stairs and found a whole bunch of random records; none of it mixed but it was good to listen to just to hear how bad it could get.
By The Deadly
The Nickstape bit with Gareth Gates was an absolute disaster but very funny. Songs cutting out half way through, Mysterious Girl playing for no reason etc.
By fatboydave73
The Deadly wrote:The Nickstape bit with Gareth Gates was an absolute disaster but very funny. Songs cutting out half way through, Mysterious Girl playing for no reason etc.

That was what made it good radio for me; yes it was a total car crash of a half hour, but it was comical to listen to, and the fact that Mills and Gates and all the others were just laughing along made it better.

You couldn't have (and shouldn't try to) script anything like that !!
By swaddon1903
Maybe Mills is being lined up to replace Chris Evans on Radio 2 sometime in the future?

He'll be too old for hot rockin' 1FM, and the BBC will want to hold on to him.
By Yudster
I was shocked how much better the breakfast show was with Mills than Grimshaw. For me that's less about Mills being great and more about Grimshaw being far worse than I had realised. I have to say though, Mills would do a great Radio 2 show and I hope he does one day.
By G-Sizzle
Mills has actually got better with age. The introduction of Stark was a master stroke. The chemistry these 2 have is Gold.
Mills also stays relevant (tinder etc) something Moyles struggled with in his last year or so on air.

However I don't think Mills would work on Breakfast. He suits the after lunch in-office crowd perfectly, switching him and Greg James was also a work of genius IMO.
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]

Saturday show is up