The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By C-Kay
Tunster wrote:
Deadly wrote:It's only offensive to women if you take what he is saying seriously. In my opinion he is saying controversial things because he is on a new show and wants to make a name for himself and get noticed. His style at the time was to be a bit shocking and rude but I honestly think its all tongue in cheek.

Not that I can vouch for meeting him in real life, but of the people I know (including C-Kay on here who is my cousin) who've met him; he's much more down to earth. Especially in comparison to his earlier radio persona. This is why the general written media got their knickers in twist trying to make stories out of small bites.

Back in 2004, I'm sure he got a little head-over-heals with his confidence having been given his dream job and wanted to put his stamp on the show. It cleverly made the show much more exuberating from the off. I don't see why anything he said should be taken offensively from the 2004 shows. I can see why if you're a new listener to the show, Chris is hardly out there to try and upset anybody intentionally. No doubt I preferred Chris' radio persona in the middle years but it was part of his radio act. This is where TV personalities get it all so wrong radio (most of Radio 1 currently!) and where Sachsgate came about because they didn't understand the line. Chris did and wasn't afraid to push it to entertain people.

Hah, i did wonder if that was you Matt...
By The Deadly
Thing with Chris is he makes for a good negative story. Lots of people hate him so any little thing he said back then and now to a degree is newsworthy. He's sold a lot of papers in his time.
By MK Chris
Oh god, Celebdaq annoyed the hell out of me. Mainly because Chris bought into it so much and it was impossible to get away from.
By Badger Mark
ollyh wrote:Nice to hear that even in 2004 Dave couldn't organise sweepstakes properly :lol:

That had me laughing but still banging my head against the wall as well. Never having heard the afternoon shows, did Dave try to organize sweepstakes then (and with the same disastrous results)?

I also thought the Rene Zellweger segment was really funny. Dom and her got along really well.
By Johnny 1989
Nicola if you think the 2004 shows are bad listen to the 2001 shows, they're really funny (although make me feel a bit old now as I remember them going out live) however the crudeness level is even worse, Lizzie gets called everything although 9 times out of 10 she laughed at the verbal abusr anyway.
By Nicola_Red
Oh, I know. And I was a listener in afternoons too! Like people have said, it's just a cultural change. I am still listening at the moment, but I may skip ahead a year or so at some point soon, see how I feel about the show after Chris settled down a bit.
By G-Sizzle
The thing that scares me the most is when I hear things from 2004 that I remember vividly. But I could listen to a show from 2011 and not remember a thing.

I don't know whether that says more about me or the show! Either way, I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane.
By Nicola_Red
Deadly wrote:Yeah you won't like the Michelle McManus stuff 3 weeks in...

Yes, there have already been a couple of comments about her. It absolutely baffles me how Chris thought it was okay to say such awful things about fat people - and yes, he did do that with men as well as women. That is one thing he never stopped doing, although he toned it down a lot. I guess it just stemmed from insecurity.
By Tunster
Nicola_Red wrote:
Deadly wrote:Yeah you won't like the Michelle McManus stuff 3 weeks in...

Yes, there have already been a couple of comments about her. It absolutely baffles me how Chris thought it was okay to say such awful things about fat people - and yes, he did do that with men as well as women. That is one thing he never stopped doing, although he toned it down a lot. I guess it just stemmed from insecurity.

Not that I accept any sort of comments like that on any scale if it's directed on purpose, but surely because he was fat himself; he thought he could get away with it as he wouldn't care if anyone returned the same comments on his own weight?
By Nicola_Red
I dunno...I find that people do tend to care. But maybe men care less than women? I can only speak from my own experience.
By Tunster
Nicola_Red wrote:I dunno...I find that people do tend to care. But maybe men care less than women? I can only speak from my own experience.

Maybe that's true but I'm sure there's some men that do care. I always believed Moyles played the give and take rule. If he dished out a mickey take, he'd happily received it. Some don't like to dish it back and take it to heart too much. Can see why Chris' radio persona in the first couple of years of the breakfast show may of upset people.
By Nicola_Red
I agree about Gaga - although the pics she posted on her blog yesterday don't make her look anything like as big as she does in those pics. I'm quite thick skinned about my size and don't consider 'fat' to be an insult (I posted a pic of myself in a corselette on instagram yesterday after all!), but I still don't like fat-shaming on principle.
By dimtimjim
^^ :lol:

I've always thought Gaga looks terrible, and thats not a weight thing, its a no-need-to-be-that-ugly thing. Talented lass tho...
By Nicola_Red
Whereas Tim has gone backwards. You could just say "I don't find her attractive"!

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]