The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By Badger Mark
Yesterday I listened to the show with the infamous Drew Barrymore interview (2005-07-27). From everything they said about it in later shows, I was fully expecting a train wreck of an interview. I was surprised that overall it really wasn't that bad. Started off bumpy as Chris was being a bit too pervy, but then it turned into a reasonably decent interview. The very end did fall apart somewhat, but it wasn't nearly as bad as what I anticipated.
By JayE
Just finished listening to the 20th April 2005 show. Near the end they were playing old theme tunes to kids tv shows. They got round to playing the Jim'll fix it theme tune and Dom sang the entire thing all the way through. I don't think I've ever cringed that much before.
By swaddon1903
JayE wrote:Just finished listening to the 20th April 2005 show. Near the end they were playing old theme tunes to kids tv shows. They got round to playing the Jim'll fix it theme tune and Dom sang the entire thing all the way through. I don't think I've ever cringed that much before.

Their tribute to Savile after he died is also a bit awkward to listen to now, knowing what he did. But, of course, they didn't know at the time.
By Nicola_Red
swaddon1903 wrote:
JayE wrote:Just finished listening to the 20th April 2005 show. Near the end they were playing old theme tunes to kids tv shows. They got round to playing the Jim'll fix it theme tune and Dom sang the entire thing all the way through. I don't think I've ever cringed that much before.

Their tribute to Savile after he died is also a bit awkward to listen to now, knowing what he did. But, of course, they didn't know at the time.

I listened to it relatively recently and there were a few intriguing comments along the lines of "there was a side to him that people didn't know about". Hmm.
By neilt0
JayE wrote:Flipin heck! You're on July 2006! How many shows do you listen to a day?

Nah, I'm on October 6th, 2006! - I mainly listen to TCMS now, rather than most other podcasts. Apart from my own podcast of course. Ahem.
By The Deadly
swaddon1903 wrote:

I'd say Chris had a fair idea of what Saville was like hence why the tribute was hardly gushing praise. Saville hid in plain sight for over 50 years thus making him just seem eccentric but the truth is very few people had any visual evidence of abuse.
Last edited by The Deadly on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By chrysostom
It's true - especially given that he has sued the Sun for linking him with a children's home where abuse was prevalent, risking libelling him would probably be too much without any testimony.
By neilt0
JayE wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot they had already been posted. Do you have the 27th May show too?

I just uploaded the 27th to the same folder as in the previous link.

Cheers!
By Turicum
Nicola_Red wrote:
swaddon1903 wrote:

I listened to it relatively recently and there were a few intriguing comments along the lines of "there was a side to him that people didn't know about". Hmm.

I remember during John Bishops "Week of Hell" (I think when Dave joined him running) that there were some intriguing comments about Savile as well. It stood out to me because I listened to it after Savile got exposed. Maybe I get round to finding that part but as far as I remember it Bishop made a comment that Chris was like Savile as they are both DJs and from Leeds and Chris said something along the line of "well, not in every way".
My listen this morning was a particularly good one, 22 August 2005, the show immediately following the Skegness Butlins “Friday Thing” show. I just had the feeling listening to the show that Chris and the team were holding back cringing and working very hard not to blow at the lameness of the place and Monday’s proved me right. Gormless people who had no idea who they were and Butlins being not thrilled they were there but happy to take the thousands of pounds in free advertising was how Chris characterized it and I must say that sounded spot on.
Last edited by Dave in Philadelphia on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DarroM
Travis Bickle wrote:
JayE wrote:What year did they can Carpark Catchphrase? I hate to admit it but I'm slowly getting sick of it now.

End of 2005. I always thought it was consistently the best feature.

It was of course brought back in 2007 but then went on hiatus thanks to the whole competition scandal. Currently on February 2008 and it is still not back and it has been gone since I believe August 2007. I really enjoyed the first stint of the feature since I loved the absolute thick callers and Chris getting all annoyed and cutting them off never got old for me.
By JayE
Yeah, I remember that one. Very funny.

I started getting bored of it a couple of months in to 2005, it is just becoming really repetitive and boring. I was the same with Buzz Off.