The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues

Where do you want Chris Moyles to go next?

A Radio 1 weekend slot
32%
A Radio 2 weekday daytime slot
31%
A Radio 5 Live show with Dave (Something like Richard Bacon's)
19%
The Absolute Radio breakfast show
6%
North Norfolk Digital (North Norfolk's best music mix)/Other
13%
By ChrisBoyles
When I think of national institution in this country, those who have excelled at their craft to the point of irreplacability, I think Stephen fry, David Attenborough, Parkinson's, Jonathan Ross, Paul McCartney, terry wogan. And chris moyles. But to solidify his place, he needs some sort of reinvention and continue at his craft, to show that he is indeed one of the great broadcasters of his generation. For true genius continues to learn, adapt and evolve.
By ChrisBoyles
Chris will be going solo permanently. How?

- aleds comments on 'separate ways'

- individual twitter accounts advertised

- final speech 'it's all about me. It's always been about me' :D
By .AndyC.
James H wrote:I can still see Chris going to commercial radio, if it's the right station and the right price.

On the subject of commercial stations, have any previous R1 DJ's ever gone down this path? I cant seem to think of any, but this might just be me having a slow day!
By Nicola_Red
Did Pat Sharp used to be R1? And didn't Simon Bates go to a commercial station? And Mark Goodier?...
By ChrisBoyles
Chris will have seen this coming. Anything past Blackburn longevity was a blessing. A decade with lowering figures and quality output will have been optimistic. It's life. The only definite thing is change. Late 30's on r1 is unheard of. You can't reverse the stone cold number of age, despite his connection with broad audience range, and that presenter age is all cooper/the truth give a crap about.
By .AndyC.
Nicola_Red wrote:Did Pat Sharp used to be R1? And didn't Simon Bates go to a commercial station? And Mark Goodier?...

Yes, and funnily enough, they have both worked for Classic FM since they left R1, albeit in the later stages of their career. Can't quite see Chris doing that somehow...
By hdsport82
.AndyC. wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote:Did Pat Sharp used to be R1? And didn't Simon Bates go to a commercial station? And Mark Goodier?...

Yes, and funnily enough, they have both worked for Classic FM since they left R1, albeit in the later stages of their career. Can't quite see Chris doing that somehow...

He could play Clair De Lune and O Mio Babbino Caro :D

As for commercial everyone will say Capital (with the Tabor connection) isn't there rumours of further relaxation from Ofcom in respect of networking giving him the chance of a quasi-national station at either breakfast or drive? Although I'm really not sure the likely format restrictions would suit him.
By .AndyC.
hdsport82 wrote: Although I'm really not sure the likely format restrictions would suit him.

Yeah, can't see Chris getting away with a 20-30 min opening link. Saying that, I can't imagine him getting away with that on R1 if/when he gets another slot. Especially if its a weekend show, theres more music on them than there is on my ipod!
By MK Chris
Tony Blackburn was on a station like Classic Gold I think before he took over Pick of the Pops.
By Nicola_Red
Is mark Goodier on Smooth? I'm sure I've heard him on the radio in my mother's car. Smooth is her second choice station when R2 are playing hits from the musicals or something. His voice will always take me back to listening to the charts on a Sunday afternoon as a kid.
By Sally A
Probably reading into it too much, but this morning when they made reference to the R2 figures: can't remember the exact wording, but Chris insinuated they could be increasing.

I'm probably grasping at straws, but I live and hope.
By Daveywilks
Sally A wrote:Probably reading into it too much, but this morning when they made reference to the R2 figures: can't remember the exact wording, but Chris insinuated they could be increasing.

I'm probably grasping at straws, but I live and hope.

That's exactly why I came to the forum to see if anyone else noticed!!
By Emmy
When did they talk about that? I heard the whole show and can't remember listening figures being mentioned.
By hdsport82
Emmy wrote:When did they talk about that? I heard the whole show and can't remember listening figures being mentioned.

When they were talking about Freya's meeting which was being held at R2 (chaired by the controller of R2) Chris said, (2:58:15 on iPlayer)

"Radio 2's nothing, no one listens to it ...not yet anyway!"

As Sally A says it was a throw away comment and I'd say it probably means nothing (but you never know :D ).
By Emmy
Thanks. Personally I'd take that comment as a nod to the fact that R1 will probably lose a fair amount of listeners when Chris leaves and R2 will mop some of them up, rather than a teaser about his next move. But equally the opposite could be the case too. All will be revealed in good time.
By Nicola_Red
Nothing in Grimmy's timeline, of course he could easily have tweeted and then deleted (which also rhymes).
By chrisjames
I'd be really surprised if Chris agreed to do Grimmys show,given that on monday morning , just after 6.30 he mentioned that Grimmy will be glad to get out of that slot.Didn''t sound to me as if Chris was too willing to take over from him!

There is one possibility though,if he does agree to do a night time show.he m ight agree to do it for one year to see out his contract, on the promise that in jan 2014 he might be moved back on to daytimes, maybe replacing Scott Mills.Or it could be good practise for doing a show on radio 2. I can't see him wanting to do it much longer than that though
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]

Saturday show is up