The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By Johnny 1989
Ah I see, well then I don't blame him for moving fully over to 6 Music.

Having listened back to loads of old Moyles shows you kind of realise just how better it was 12 years ago, DJ's included:

John Peel
Steve Lamacaq
Mark & Lard
Mary-Anne Hobbs
Clive Warren
Emma B
Kevin Greening
Jo Whiley
Vicki Marsden
Pete Tong
Dave Pearce
Trevor Nelson
Judge Jules
Sarah HB

Now granted not everyone liked them all but that line up was so much better than the majority of today.

By the way does anyone know why Scott Mills was nicknamed "Fingers Mills" by Chris, Dave, Will and Melinda, was it them taking the piss out of him because he was the then new boy or was there an "incident" :lol:
By MadTheEddos
Johnny 1989 wrote:Ah I see, well then I don't blame him for moving fully over to 6 Music.

Having listened back to loads of old Moyles shows you kind of realise just how better it was 12 years ago, DJ's included:

John Peel
Steve Lamacaq
Mark & Lard
Mary-Anne Hobbs
Clive Warren
Emma B
Kevin Greening
Jo Whiley
Vicki Marsden
Pete Tong
Dave Pearce
Trevor Nelson
Judge Jules
Sarah HB

Yeah, most of those guys were presenting on Radio 1 when I first started listening, and IMO none of the daytime presenters now can be compared with them. We're needing more DJs like them who are genuine characters, and who actually connect with the target audience.

(On a tangent, I was gutted when Jo Whiley in particular left Radio 1 as I've always had a thing for her - and I've never been able to decide whether that's a guilty pleasure or not. Same with Mary Anne Hobbs.)
By Johnny 1989
I certainly miss Mark & Lard, back when they were on air I admit I wasn't a huge fan, however having listened back to their shows over the last 4-5 years I realise how great they really were, but also how lucky we were that they lasted as long as they did.
By Martyn B
I miss the Martin Lewis chats with Jo Whiley, and James King with Edith.

Radio 1 used to be so much better.... or did it?

Maybe its not that Radio 1 is getting worse, its that we're getting older?
By Johnny 1989
No it's certainly got worse, although Moyles and Mark & Lard shouted from time to time they could string a sentance together and knew how to present a show, something Gemma Carney clearly can't do.
By Wykey
"Colin & Edith" were dreadful, as was sly-eyes Whiley. Her hand-overs were fun though, at least she played along with it and didn't take it too seriously.
By Johnny 1989
No it's certainly got worse, although Moyles and Mark & Lard shouted from time to time they could string a sentance together and knew how to present a show, something Gemma Carney clearly can't do.
By Splodge
I don't know - going through that list from 2000, I see just as many DJ's I used to go out of my way to avoid, as I do with the current lineup.

Not Mark and Lard though, I heard the Shipping Forecast last night and it reminded me of their Chart Forecast. I really hope someone has a load of them saved on a computer somewhere, because they were great!

Johnny 1989 wrote:Ah I see, well then I don't blame him for moving fully over to 6 Music.
By the way does anyone know why Scott Mills was nicknamed "Fingers Mills" by Chris, Dave, Will and Melinda, was it them taking the piss out of him because he was the then new boy or was there an "incident" :lol:

Wasn't that to do with Scott Mills stealing CD's? (that did happen, didn't it? I'm sure I'm not making that up).
By MK Chris
Wykey wrote:"Colin & Edith" were dreadful, as was sly-eyes Whiley. Her hand-overs were fun though, at least she played along with it and didn't take it too seriously.

Yes - the subsequent evening Colin Murray show was EXCELLENT though.
By Johnny 1989
Topher wrote:
Wykey wrote:"Colin & Edith" were dreadful, as was sly-eyes Whiley. Her hand-overs were fun though, at least she played along with it and didn't take it too seriously.

Yes - the subsequent evening Colin Murray show was EXCELLENT though.

Yeah, once he got rid of Edith he was great, I must get that hard drive dock to get those last 15 Colin Murray shows off & uploaded to the vault :)
By northernsteve
The issue I have with the current Radio 1 line up is that when they need a new jock they go for one of two easy options - hire somebody from T4 or promote somebody from 1Xtra.

Greg James is probably the last "proper" Radio 1 DJ they hired.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]