The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By MK Chris
Johnny 1989 wrote:It sort of sunk in for me yesterday when Mills said that because he wasn't no longer covering for Chris as he had left and not cover for Grimmy as he hasn't started yet, that he would go down as the shortest reigning Breakfast Show host in the breakfast show history on Radio 1 (previously held by Mark Goodier who did two months).

Has no one else done stop-gap cover between an old and new host? Surely that's not right.
By fatboydave73
There are 2 thoughts that come to mind on this

1) Mr Grimshaw already had his holiday booked before Chris "walked"; given Chris is starring in JCS last Friday was the last possible day he could do before full on rehearsals etc
2) They wanted to give a small break to allow the dust to settle on TCMS before Mr Grimshaw takes over. Let's face it, would you want to walk into a show straight after something as successful as the TCMS?

Either way, Scott Mills does seem like he is the gooseberry!
By Tunster
Topher wrote:
Johnny 1989 wrote:It sort of sunk in for me yesterday when Mills said that because he wasn't no longer covering for Chris as he had left and not cover for Grimmy as he hasn't started yet, that he would go down as the shortest reigning Breakfast Show host in the breakfast show history on Radio 1 (previously held by Mark Goodier who did two months).

Has no one else done stop-gap cover between an old and new host? Surely that's not right.

Who did the Breakfast shows between Sara and Chris? Sara finished on the 19th December and Chris started 5th January. Was it just Christmas specials all the way through with temporary presenters? Don't really seem to remember.
By Nicola_Red
fatboydave73 wrote:There are 2 thoughts that come to mind on this

1) Mr Grimshaw already had his holiday booked before Chris "walked"; given Chris is starring in JCS last Friday was the last possible day he could do before full on rehearsals etc
2) They wanted to give a small break to allow the dust to settle on TCMS before Mr Grimshaw takes over. Let's face it, would you want to walk into a show straight after something as successful as the TCMS?

Either way, Scott Mills does seem like he is the gooseberry!

Aled told us that they wanted Grimmy to start straightaway with no gap - so I think it's that he had his holiday already booked.
By fatboydave73
Given that we read between the lines he already had his holiday booked, do we presume it was quite a sudden decision? Surely they would have factored in any holiday etc before the transition?

It is all ifs and buts; however as a sub-plot it is intriguing.....
By neilt0
fatboydave73 wrote:Given that we read between the lines he already had his holiday booked, do we presume it was quite a sudden decision? Surely they would have factored in any holiday etc before the transition?

It is all ifs and buts; however as a sub-plot it is intriguing.....

I think in the last #AskAled he said he found out about the end of TCMS one day before the announcement.
By Nicola_Red
Ah, I dunno. I'm not privy to that kind of information :)
It appeared to be a mixture of Spoony, Scott and Emma B - Scott did three weeks in between Zoe and Sara but Sara took over a day early.

I didn't really listen to Radio 1 before then but also Simon Mayo did breakfast for a short 2nd stint inbetween Chris Evans + Mark + Lard. Kevin Greening did breakfast after the Princess Diana death for a while.

Someone else may have more info
By swaddon1903
Mark and Lard were on holiday just before Lady Di passed on. Kevin Greening was covering for them and was kept on for a short while, even though M and L were back off holiday.
By Johnny 1989
Interesting I wonder if Mills said that Monday because he didn't think any of the people listening that far back or perhaps this time round the week between the two shows aren't actually allocated to either Chris or Nick. Let me have a quick check...

EDIT: from what I recall, on Tuesday Mills said he had been added to the Wikipedia list (yes I know not always accurate blah blah blah) but he's not on there now so who knows.
By Martyn B
Given how the breakshow show is now, I get the feeling that TCMS show ended becuase they were to told to change it.

There's no way Chris and the team would want to end the show now, and I bet that Ben Cooper wouldn't want to get rid of Radio 1's most popular show. So I wouldn't be too surprised if Ben said something like this - "we have to change the show, you will have to play more music" etc.

There is no way that Chris would want something like to happen to the show, so he decided that ending it would be better than ruining it?

(That thought has probably crossed most peoples mind to be honest, but I thought I'd just mention it.)
By Yudster
I think so too, and I said as much to Aled - whose response was "There's a lot of truth in that". I'm sure it was a factor.
By neilt0
There were some very unsubtle hints about this dropped in the last few weeks by Chris;

"It's not all about me".

"I LOVE music!"

"It's all about the music".

Well, that's what you're getting. Well done, Big Boss Ben.
By Martyn B
^ But that is what he wanted. At the end of the day, as much as I loved the coverage that the team done with all the events, Radio 1 just wasn't the ideal home for TCMS. It was never anything like your average radio show, hence why it was so popular.
By Mattso23
Yesterday I started listening to the marathon shows (unedited) , I listen from about 9 till 1 in work and is helping the gap left. Still doesn't seem real but having listened to grimmy I think he needs to settle in and when that's happened I may give him another chance.
By Wykey
Martyn B wrote:^ But that is what he wanted. At the end of the day, as much as I loved the coverage that the team done with all the events, Radio 1 just wasn't the ideal home for TCMS. It was never anything like your average radio show, hence why it was so popular.

It depends on what you mean by "radio 1" - the new radio 1 maybe - don't forget Radio 1 WAS the ideal home for Noel Edmonds, Tony Blackburn, Simon Mayo and John Peel - Now none of them would have a home there.
By The Deadly
I'm not suggesting John Peel would have his own show but I think he'd still have a strong association to the station. Maybe contributing to the late night shows that deal with new music or something.
By Johnny 1989
Annie Nightingale is still on Radio 1, she's in her 50's now surely, if she can still be on there I imagine Peel could too, although I imagine had he had still been around he would have moved to Radio 2/6 Music come 2007/8
By Yudster
According to wikipedia, Annie was born in 1940 - that makes her at least 71 doesn't it?!
By Johnny 1989
Really, bloody hell well in that case Peel would definitely still be there if he was still around, I'll be honest I'm surprised Lamacaq isn't still there, didn't he use to champion new music when he was on there?
By Johnny 1989
Oh right I see I'm thinking as in the old 2000 Moyles shows where.Moyles mentions Lamacaq will be on after Newsbeat with Radio 1's.most wanted 6 at 6, I take it his old slot has been engulfed by the surrounding ones (much like Mayo's was when he left and Moyles was extended). Lamacaq's show is great on 6 Music so fair move by him.
By Fathomer
He had the evening session (8pm-10pm, Mon-Thu) mid 90s until Feb 2003. Then moved to Lamacq Live which went out Monday nights 9pm-1am. Then down to a 1 hour show after Colin Murray moved to the 10-midnight program.
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]