The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By CassieJackson
I have to agree that the increase in figures is very impressive, but I really honestly can't think of anyone I know who wouldn't know what a podcast was. My parents, both in their 70s are ipod owners and are well aware of the term.
By Aled
Well thank god you lot aren't radio producers!!! 'if you don't know what a podcast is then you're too stupid to listen to the show'!

1) you'd be surprised
2) I'm surprised at how small the bubble is that you guys live in that you DON'T know anyone who's 'too stupid' to know what a podcast is! I could find someone without finishing my favourite list on my mobile who doesn't know what it was (and they're in their early 20s!)
3) do you honestly think Dave knows what it is? Could he subscribe? Really?

ps I think the rise in numbers is due to many things on air attention, new name, easier labelling and ability to download month's worth not just one week so it might at worse a quarter of that number who are unique users
By Aled
Oh and use of Facebook, Twitter and Audioboo in its promotion (with the use of the easier to understand language)
By nade
Well, congrats to you and the team Aled on the increase in the stats for the free download (podcast). I always love the little bits at the start and the occasional random ending links in particular.

The idea of a free download was mentioned on a podcast back from 30th March 2007. David Tennant was on this one, and I can remember that show when David came in - you were all messing about with the brand new PS3. Then having a play at a F1 game (I think it was) with Dom trying to do the "bums" without being able to hear CPC.

Oh and Aled, you probably wouldn't like this particular podcast... it featured "Frighten Aled Friday" :D
By Travis Bickle
The idea that someone who doesnt know what a podcast is would be more likely to download a 'free download' is unlikely to me. A 'free download' of what? A piece of dead air? A peice of music? A piece of chat?

A podcast is a new term that people will take on board and comprehend quite easily. A few years ago if you told somebody to 'google it' or 'tweet' you would have looked at them am as if they were mad.

I dont listen to Moyles podcasts because I make sure I liseten to everything live or on the iplayer, but isnt this 'free download' still available under the podcast section?
By hdsport82
Aled wrote:Well thank god you lot aren't radio producers!!! 'if you don't know what a podcast is then you're too stupid to listen to the show'!

1) you'd be surprised
2) I'm surprised at how small the bubble is that you guys live in that you DON'T know anyone who's 'too stupid' to know what a podcast is! I could find someone without finishing my favourite list on my mobile who doesn't know what it was (and they're in their early 20s!)
3) do you honestly think Dave knows what it is? Could he subscribe? Really?

If Dave follows the 'free download' links from the show page he'll end up at a page titled podcasts!

Perhaps the BBC should credit their audience (especially the younger end) with some modicum of intelligence that they can find out something they aren't aware of without being talked to like a 5 year old? I still remember the Afghan prison break story a few months back when the Newsbeat reporter actually felt the need to clairify that being given the keys to their cells and mobile phones made it easier to escape!

If age was the factor (like your friend) it's strange that the (older) Radio 4 audience (which people would assume is more 'technophobic') seem to download so many podcasts.
Last edited by hdsport82 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By hdsport82
Fowler wrote: I am sure it is only a matter of time until the BBC starts having a website like it is aimed for preschool children to not offend anyone who can't read the word "because".

You've not seen the new beta of the BBC homepage then ? :D

Inspired by Herman Cain perhaps (for fans of the Daily Show)?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Y7w151MDk
By shamrock student
Aled wrote:3) do you honestly think Dave knows what it is? Could he subscribe? Really?

Hey no Dave bashing on the forums!! :D

I see your point that not everybody knows what a podcast is, my parents woulden't have a clue to be honest. Would be surprised that many people in their 20's would be oblivious to podcasts.
By Yudster
I'm astonished that there is so much passion about a teeny piece of terminology. If R1 were changing the content of the podcast rather than the name, then I could understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist. But its exactly the same thing, whether you call it a podcast, a free download, an extended audio clip or Gerald.

As for people who don't know what a podcast is - well, I'm not sure why that would make them stupid. It depends on your interests doesn't it? Just because I know what a Parus caeruleus is doesn't make any of you lot stupid for not knowing. But so what? Its just a name! Most of you would probably recognise Parus caeruleus if you saw it, why would it matter to me or anyone else that you called it a blue tit?
By Nicola_Red
I would like it to be Geoff.

"Download the Geoff, it's free."
By a-moron
Emmy wrote:
Aled wrote:We're trying to reach those listeners who would have no idea what a podcast is. You must all know someone.

I'm lucky enough not to know anyone that thick.

What a charming remark you make there Emmy. You must be the envy of all those outside your social circle.

My wife, who in no way could be described as thick. Stupid for marrying me? Yes, but thick? Definitely not. Well, she has got a very limited grasp on internet terminology and whilst she is nearly right she does call podcasts - 'them pod'thingys'. You could have given her 3 options of Podcast, Podfast or Podcost and she would probably be unable to pick out the right one. She has no interest in downloading podcasts or 'free downloads' so why would she feel the need to know the descriptive term for such things.

So in summarising, it must be great to be Emmy, shite to be me.

Yudster wrote: Most of you would probably recognise Parus caeruleus if you saw it, why would it matter to me or anyone else that you called it a blue tit?

You really should start dressing more appropriately.
By bmstinton93
theflyingbadger wrote:Stupid for marrying me? Yes

Depends whether or not she saw those pictures before or after marrying you...
By a-moron
Well I met her over there and she did attend one of those 'performances'. Photo's not required.
By a-moron
Once a week my friend. Think that was probably best for our health as it was free beer / sangria on each night.
By Emmy
theflyingbadger wrote:What a charming remark you make there Emmy. You must be the envy of all those outside your social circle.

I am. I lead the kind of life those plebs can only dream of.

theflyingbadger wrote:it must be great to be Emmy.

It really is.

I also like the sound of 'Download the Geoff'.
By a-moron
Emmy wrote:
theflyingbadger wrote:What a charming remark you make there Emmy. You must be the envy of all those outside your social circle.

I am. I lead the kind of life those plebs can only dream of.

theflyingbadger wrote:it must be great to be Emmy.

It really is.

By ededwards
Nicola_Red wrote:I would like it to be Geoff.

"Download the Geoff, it's free."

I feel Dom would approve of this.

I don't think it's the fact that the name was changed that's causing the contention, it just feels very clunky to say 'Download the Free Download'
Even just calling it the 'Best Bits' would have done the trick.
By mrbrightside
Aled wrote:We did some producer labs last year where the producers of Radio 1 went out and meant our audience. We each had a couple of hours with three listeners

the changes were implemented because of the views of three listeners??

three?
By Aled
mrbrightside wrote:
Aled wrote:We did some producer labs last year where the producers of Radio 1 went out and meant our audience. We each had a couple of hours with three listeners

the changes were implemented because of the views of three listeners??

three?

No.
By neilt0
Having run plenty of qualitative surveys in my career, you need to know when to heed comments, and when to take them with a pinch of salt. And, also when to kick them to the kerb!

Another way to approach this supposed podcast "ignorance" would be to do what Chris used to do before The Great Renaming -- mention that the podcast is free, maybe talk a bit about how you don't actually need a "pod device" to listen etc.

As the popularity of podcasts explodes, the last thing you want to do is try to change the name.

It'd be like the introduction of a BBC Radio channel on to FM Stereo and the BBC doing a survey where they found that people didn't understand the merits of FM Stereo over AM Mono, or what FM meant, so they decided to run a campaign based around "Please retune your radio on to the new Shiny Cleany Lefty Righty Ear frequency!"

No, you explain the benefits of FM Stereo and then people experience it and then they switch. And then they will understand what it is.

Chris also makes the really important point that Great Renaming only seems to apply to how it is described on his show, and the rest of the BBC still call them podcasts. Make your mind up, or join the rest of the world in calling podcasts by their actual name.
By Emmy
neilt0 wrote:Chris also makes the really important point that Great Renaming only seems to apply to how it is described on his show, and the rest of the BBC still call them podcasts. Make your mind up, or join the rest of the world in calling podcasts by their actual name.

This is the most nonsensical and puzzling thing about it all, and has yet to be explained properly. Why should your show be the only one to stop calling itself a podcast, when as far as I know, none of the other BBC shows are making that change in terminology? I don't listen to the Moyles podcast/free download because I generally hear all of the show every day, but I assume that Chris is now starting it by mentioning the term 'free download', whilst the very nice lady who comes on at the start of the 'Daily Bacon' (which I do download every episode of) is still thanking me for 'taking the time to download this BBC Radio 5live podcast'. Surely there should be one common term for a podcast/free download/Geoff throughout the BBC?
By DarroM
I feel that since Chris's show is the most popular on BBC Radio, I think they might be using this free download thing as a bit of a trial run to see if it flourishes and if so, it will be spread to other shows and stations. If that's not the case, then it is a bit silly having one show use that term and everywhere else sticks with the old one. It's like not being invited to a party where everyone else is (or something to that extent).

I am talking nonsense at the moment! :P
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]

Saturday show is up