The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By SAV1OUR
Yudster wrote:
SoR wrote:Hey you could be the next Bill Bryson!

Jeddeth is nowhere near dull enough to be Bill Bryson.

I bet old Billys rich tho, and yes Yuddie, of course he'd be better than that cheeseball, would be funny though if he was a mole befriending us and then published a book featuring us and other websites in a demeaning light! [/jokeish]

I'd be won over by the honourable Yankee Doodey if he had watched Life On Mars.... Now.. Thats the way to a Mancunian's soul.. 8)
Bill Bryson is much better to read than he is on TV. His TV shows are awful.

Some of his books are nice they are a gentle humour and relaxing.
By Yudster
I've never seen anything of his on TV, I've only tried to wade through a couple of the books. Repeatedly. And failed, there's only so much dull I can take. If I'm going to read that kind of "memoir" type book, I need to actually care about the person or people I'm reading about, on some level or another. He has never written anything that makes me care at all what happens to him, so after a while, turning the page again just isn't worth it! I have tried, and I will again, because far cleverer people than me reckon he is good, but so far, zilch. Another AMerican writer I have this kind of trouble with is Garisson Keillor. Again, I'll keep trying.
By Yudster
Well, if you don't have a copy of Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, and want one, PM me an address and I'll send you mine.......
By Yudster
But you know I am North-Phobic, so you're safe!
By jeddeth
Jesus! I go away for the weekend and you guys turn this forum into an effin' book club! This would never happen on an American morning radio forum. :D

I don't know who this Bill Bryson is, but he sounds boring as hell. Which book of his is his best? Do you guys want me to tell you about British culture from the perspective of an American living amongst you? Is that really who you want to give your hard earned pounds over to? I can write a book about that.

I did recently read a british book. It's called "Is it just me or is everything shit?" by Steve Lowe & Alan McArthur

So since we are on the topic... tell me a great book to read. What is everyone's favorites?

Mine is A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers.
By Boboff
Alan McArthurs Dad is a Teacher in Tavistock in Devon, and used to drink in the Pub I ran, he was always going on about his son writing a book, and then it came out and did very well, the sign on the front with directions for McDonalds is an actual sign on the way to Deriford Hospital in Plymouth !

They have written a second edition now I believe.
By Nicola_Red
I just recently purchased the second edition of "Is It Just Me..." and whilst still funny, it's nowhere near as good as the first one.

I am a Bill Bryson fan tho; I've read 'em all, even the language-geek ones about English and the science one which I admittedly struggled with (I'm not remotely scientifically minded), but still enjoyed.

My favourite books...To Kill A Mockingbird and The Dice Man.
By foot-loose
Gaspode_The_Wonder_Dog wrote:The Science one is no where near as good as Terry Pratchetts attempt.

I'm currently reading The Light Fantastic. I love his humour - makes me smile.
By Walter Sobchak
Havent read Terry Pratchett, or Bill Bryson, I'll have to add them to my to do list.
Has anyone else read any Robert Rankin? (not Ian Rankin).
His genre comes under Comedy/Fantasy although he describes his books as 'Far fetched fiction'
By Yudster
The only "fantasy" writer I have ever enjoyed is Stephen Donaldson, and I struggle with him sometimes. Terry Pratchett writes great gags, his one liners and use of language makes me laugh a lot, but i don't like his stories. I need to try him again though, its been a while and people tell me his later stuff is different.
By foot-loose
Yudster wrote:The only "fantasy" writer I have ever enjoyed is Stephen Donaldson, and I struggle with him sometimes. Terry Pratchett writes great gags, his one liners and use of language makes me laugh a lot, but i don't like his stories. I need to try him again though, its been a while and people tell me his later stuff is different.

“The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp”
“He moved in a way that suggested he was attempting the world speed record for the nonchalant walk”
“ 'What are they that a man may call the greatest things in life?' The guest thought long and hard and then said, with deliberation: 'Hot Water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper.' ”
By Yudster
See, I laughed! Out loud! Its just the stories.
By Walter Sobchak
S4B wrote:I've not only read him but met him, the guy is a genius!

Agreed! :)

U a bit of a sproutlorist on the q&t then? lol

I couldn't get to a book signing he was doing in Yeovil, but my daughter went (without me knowing) and I now have a personally signed hardback of Witches of Chiswick with my name and Merry Christmas 8) :D
By MK Chris
What's a sproutlorist?
By Console
Yudster wrote:Its just the stories.

I liked the stories, especially the Rincewind ones. I didn't like Witches stories as much, but I still thought they were OK.
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]

Saturday show is up