The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
Console wrote:
Yudster wrote:Its just the stories.

I liked the stories, especially the Rincewind ones. I didn't like Witches stories as much, but I still thought they were OK.

The Witches have changed completely from the early books to the later ones. I don't think any characters have changed so much.

Vimes is a brilliant character though. Night Watch is just terrific.
By jeddeth
New question....

What the eff is a council estate? I was driving the countryside and saw tons of villages separated by miles and miles of farmland... are those council estates or just villages? I don't get it... is there an American equivalent?
By SAV1OUR
Trailer trash is about as near as I can think, you probably have slums or something. Somebody correct me.
By SAV1OUR
Gaspode_The_Wonder_Dog wrote:I will correct you. Thats both offensive and incorrect.

I miss your yank bashing now. Mind you I have just been watching Devvo, hes funny, or maybe I'm just laughing at him.
By MK Chris
Gaspode_The_Wonder_Dog wrote:I will correct you. Thats both offensive and incorrect.

Indeed, it was a bit uncalled for.
By SAV1OUR
Topher wrote:

Indeed, it was a bit uncalled for.

Still, I'd whip your arse at paper plane throwing anyday, thats the important thing. 8)
By jeddeth
yeah, I don't think I saw any trailers in Britian.

The wikipedia pictures look like really nice houses to live in! Not only that... they kinda resemble all the other little houses in little villages, no?

By the way, is anyone on this board effected by the flooding? I hope not!
By Walter Sobchak
SoR!!! I live on a council estate, how can you say such a thing?? :P

Heres an explanation of council houses and their history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_house#Origins
One key thing that you'll see is that houses have been built in small and large groups all over the UK, and they'll be designed from one of around 30 (i think) designs.

The houses pictured here are from North Yorkshire (at the top of England) and Somerset (at the bottom of England), yet they look very similar.
Image Image

I guess the nearest thing that you would have would be NYCHA.

There are Trailer parks here, which are called Mobile Home parks, and they are quite different, someone would buy a Mobile Home, and then lease the land for it to sit on, sometimes they would rent out there mobile home giving the tenant 2 landlords (can get quite messy - legally speaking!) and they are nearly always owned by old people.

EDIT: just noticed Gaspode had already posted the 'front page' of the same wiki entry... Doh!
By MK Chris
Walter Sobchak wrote:North Yorkshire (at the top of England) and Somerset (at the bottom of England)

Because Americans have no concept of north, east, south and west?
By Boboff
NE post code is top of England, TR is bottom, So Walter you are not really right in what you are saying, but the point you make about them being the same is very true, however the smaller groups in Villages, all now privately owned, look allot nicer than the inner city areas, especially where the housing is of the Maisonette kind ( a 1 floor flat on the ground, and a two floor flat above in a block of 30 or so units ) They are not nice
By Walter Sobchak
Topher wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:North Yorkshire (at the top of England) and Somerset (at the bottom of England)

Because Americans have no concept of north, east, south and west?

Huh?? I never said Americans didn't have a concept of N, E , S , W!
I was just pointing out (in case they didn't know - and why should they?) that if you looked at a map of England; North Yorkshire is at the top and Somerset is at the bottom.
You cannot be suggesting that word North can only be used to describe somewhere in the North of the country?

boboff wrote:NE post code is top of England, TR is bottom, So Walter you are not really right in what you are saying, but the point you make about them being the same is very true, however the smaller groups in Villages, all now privately owned, look allot nicer than the inner city areas, especially where the housing is of the Maisonette kind ( a 1 floor flat on the ground, and a two floor flat above in a block of 30 or so units ) They are not nice

Sorry, but don't really understand where Postcodes come into it, and what you mean, I was merely trying to keep it simple, in case jeddeth had no idea where, on our little island, it was:
The point I was trying to make was that the designs were sent to specific builders from the home office, and therefore in different parts of the country they would be pretty much the same, maybe I should have worked out the approximate mileage between them ~shrug~

I know some villages around here that have cr*p council (HA now) estates, and many village estates are still 'social housing', but in general you are right, even some of the houses in knowle west (bristol) have been bought! don't know why, suppose some wanted to climb aboard Maggies 'Own yer Own' bandwagon.
By MK Chris
Walter Sobchak wrote:Huh?? I never said Americans didn't have a concept of N, E , S , W!
I was just pointing out (in case they didn't know - and why should they?) that if you looked at a map of England; North Yorkshire is at the top and Somerset is at the bottom.
You cannot be suggesting that word North can only be used to describe somewhere in the North of the country?

If you were to say North Yorkshire is in the north of England, I'm fairly sure they'd know what you mean and it sounds less patronising than the way you worded it, in my opinion.

Walter Sobchak wrote:
boboff wrote:NE post code is top of England, TR is bottom, So Walter you are not really right in what you are saying...

Sorry, but don't really understand where Postcodes come into it, and what you mean, I was merely trying to keep it simple, in case jeddeth had no idea where, on our little island, it was

I think the point Boboff was making is that Norhtumberland is the very top of the country and Cornwall is the very bottom; Somerset is above Devon and North Yorkshire is below Durham.
By Boboff
Knowle West is a lovely place ! I spent many a happy evening at a girl friends there in Maggies Days, and I went to ATC in the back of Fillwood Broadway ( which I have to admit was minging ) Broadway shopping centre was ok, and the friendship pub was always so welcoming ! Not sure about the fighting *, and only one landlord was Axed at the Black Lion. Still I did live very near to Hartcliff ( The Baccy Jar on Court Farm Road ) so I suppose on comparision knowle west was lovely !
By Walter Sobchak
Topher wrote: If you were to say North Yorkshire is in the north of England, I'm fairly sure they'd know what you mean and it sounds less patronising than the way you worded it, in my opinion.
Not everyone would know where different places are in foreign countries, but I take your point, and I didn't mean to be patronising, and I apologise if anyone thought that.

Topher wrote: I think the point Boboff was making is that Norhtumberland is the very top of the country and Cornwall is the very bottom; Somerset is above Devon and North Yorkshire is below Durham.
again point taken.

boboff wrote:Knowle West is a lovely place ! I spent many a happy evening at a girl friends there in Maggies Days, and I went to ATC in the back of Fillwood Broadway ( which I have to admit was minging ) Broadway shopping centre was ok, and the friendship pub was always so welcoming ! Not sure about the fighting *, and only one landlord was Axed at the Black Lion. Still I did live very near to Hartcliff ( The Baccy Jar on Court Farm Road ) so I suppose on comparision knowle west was lovely !

lol. Hartcliffe can be a bit scary, especially at night.
Wasn't 'The Friendship' on TV, I think the program was called something like Hardest pubs in UK??
By Boboff
Yes it was but the one that won it was the Pub in Plymouth that my Dad frequents, It's opposite the entrance to Plymouth Dockyard, and is a Topless Barmaid venue, tastefull, and the title was not deserved, well not much any way ! 8)

The worst Pub I went into in that Area was the Harriers, it was all concrete build in tables and benches, and the bar was six foot hole, again in concrete and fitted with a fast closing shutter, it looked like an indoor carpark, but was very busy, boy can those dealer drink !
Don't forget about Cumbria. I quite like Carlisle as a City. My Uncle used to live there and I fancy possibly living near there in the future.
By MK Chris
That's true, but as Northumberland technically goes further north than Cumbria, I just said that instead.
By jeddeth
I'm so pissed Chris was here in New York and I didn't even know! He could have called me for a quick pint.

Actually I was in Chicago for Lollapalooza seeing pearl jam, muse, daft punk, my morning jacket, ect. So it's all good. But I would have loved to accidentally run into him walking down the street.
By jeddeth
Do you guys really call cotton candy, cotton string? That's weird!

Also, I saw the twins on BB8 eating "rock" which looked red and taffy like. What is that? Here in New York rock is crack cocaine.
By MK Chris
I don't know what cotton string is, but it sounds like it's candy floss?

Saturday show is up. It looks like the beginning […]