The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
Although I do like Morning Rock (and all the old R1 jingles) and agree it's on-message, I can't see him re-using any of his old jingles, even if he does own them.

I'm amazed enough that the show starts with 5 seconds of the cheesy song!

Edited to add: If you scroll down that link you shared, there's actually a jingle he used in the first week of Radio X - "Dominic reads the news, with his bald head"
By Jaguk
Well it wouldn't be much of a discussion without the But would it ?
Am I alone in being disappointed with the new show ? It seems so shallow, it has a very, very small circle of subjects and feels so safe compared to the R1 days.
It feels like Dave Masterman has to be referred to by both his names just in case we all think he's comedy Dave, Pip is good but no Rachael, and the banter seems to be largely what goes on in their own little building or what they are plugging at the time.
I listen to the show on this site, so without the ads and music ( thank you Chrismoyles.net) , but even so it just seems to be a bit of a struggle to listen all the way through.

I smile at some of the Radio X stuff .... I laughed out loud at the R1 show. I'm probably just going to stick to listening to the old shows again ( cheers again ChrisMoyles.net)

Sorry to be negative - I still wish Chris all the best but I just wanted to know if anyone else thought the same.
Need a rant.

What the * is wrong with Radio in this country. Why do we have do be pigeonholed so much?

1 - new new new new music
2 - old shit
3 - wank

1 xtra - URBAN?

Radio X - 9 (guitary middle aged) tracks - on * repeat... forever!!!

Why not just expand the selection! throw in a few * dance/r&b tunes, are they actively TRYING to put people off? I literally listen for Moyles, and nothing else.

I've given up on the music, it's a shame cause I would listen to Vaughan on my drive home but i can't stand hearing the same 6 songs every day.

It's RADIO... It's main medium is MUSIC - You have the whole * back catalogue!!!?

I just don't get it.

They should start a new station called RADIO RANDOM. Dedicated to allowing the computer to pick all the tunes. The entire history of music will be there and you just won't know what's coming next. And when it's not playing random music, it's playing classic clips, you could have Desert Island discs one minute and classic Moyles the next (off a podcast or something).

Oftenly at work people will take it in turns to decide what radio we play in, sometimes it's ghetto rap and other times it's *shudders* Smoooooth radio. I've said it once I'll say it again, if it's smooth you're after then you may aswell be saying 'Take me! I want to die!' If Radio 2 is God's waiting room then Smooth would have to be God's listening lounge.

All radio has the same problem and I agree Radio X needs to expand it's playlist. Radio 1 always had it about right cos there were tunes, and they were new too, at least you knew you were getting the very latest.
There is nothing wrong with having a theme...

Radio 1 - New (mainly pop)
Radio X - Guitar / Indi
Heart - Garbage

But just expand your * parameters a bit - maybe play something else from the plethora of albums Stereophonics have released. Or a Rolling Stones tune that ISN'T Gimme Shelter!
I only listen to the edited shows since I don't be up early enough in the morning to listen and just listen to the replays at work when the store closes and before I start. Glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks it is annoying they play Queen of Peace by Florence and the Machine, I Wanna Get Lost With You by Stereophonics and Heart of the Matter by The Libertines all the time pretty much and at least Chris makes a joke out of it due to the high rate they are played.

I am over a week behind (currently on the 23rd October show) but I have liked the show mostly so far since it started. The last year of his R1 show was mediocre for the most part especially when they got into the whole Olympic flame business and the competitions have had some funny moments for me at least so far on this show. Things might change in the future but I am enjoying the show at the moment and hopefully more features are added and the like sometime soon.
SAV1OUR wrote:Image

They should start a new station called RADIO RANDOM. Dedicated to allowing the computer to pick all the tunes. The entire history of music will be there and you just won't know what's coming next. And when it's not playing random music, it's playing classic clips, you could have Desert Island discs one minute and classic Moyles the next (off a podcast or something).

Reminded me a of this old clip from Tomorrows World...computers choosing the music it'll never work...

Seriously on the 'random' clips front I think that is happening we have NPR One and the BBC's radio explorer although these are more 'curated'.
northernsteve wrote:At Radio 1, Moyles had a cut down version of the playlist, they basically made sure that anything that Chris would slag off got given to the other shows. Could the same kind of thing, with an already more limited playlist, be happenning here?

?

Don't know where you got that from - and don't think its true for one second.

Listen to Radio X for a day (if you can) and you will see the radio station is repetitive throughout!

Moyles has a great and vast music knowledge - don't feed into the lie that he is a hater. The station and its head of music is at fault.
I gotta be honest, the Radio X playlist doesn't really float my boat. Sure, I know they play some good tracks, and a few great tracks, but the genre isn't really my cup o tea. Were it not for Moyles, I wouldn't listen for a nanosecond. But, as (to my mind, at least) Mr Moyles is such a great reason to listen - I listen to the show and then zone out a bit during the songs. I genuinely couldn't comment on any level of song repetition as it all washes over me.

Personally, i think its a shame there isn't a full on mix of Rap, R&B, Dub, Dance et al to mix in with the gee-tar music, but equally i understand the radio station hasn't been established to cater for my specific desires.

Suck it up and appreciate the show for what it is - it ain't changing to suit you whinging gets.
Can I be really controversial....
I'm not sure I like the new show. I find myself getting quite bored during the links. Maybe o just haven't really "connected" to Pippa and Mastermann yet, or maybe the older version of Moyles with his healthy lifestyle stories doesn't connect with me.
It feels like something is missing from the show but I have no idea what that thing is.
I used to belly laugh a lot during the R1 shows, but I can't think of many times hat I have during these new ones.
I can't work out where I sit with the new show.

I listen if I am at home and can listen.

I listened in the car once, connecting the app on the phone onto the stereo, but I don't find myself doing it any more.

I'll happily tune out if something else comes up.

And I don't find myself catching up on bits I missed.

This is not like me with the Moyles of yesteryear.

Is it that the show just isn't quite as good? Or is it that I have grown up, moved on and don't connect so much with it?

I still think it's good - it's still my breakfast show of choice, but I wonder if that says more about the state of radio than it does about how good Moyles is?

And there's a part of me, just a TEENY TINY bit, thinking to myself every morning, I sometimes wish Moyles had disappeared after his R1 show and never come back. As we'd be left with the memory of how good that was, and wishing he'd come back - rather than being left with the memory of something that, just isn't quite the same... and it pains me to say that.

But I think it might just be where my head is these days, and nothing to do with the show.
G-Sizzle wrote:Can I be really controversial....
I'm not sure I like the new show. I find myself getting quite bored during the links. Maybe o just haven't really "connected" to Pippa and Mastermann yet, or maybe the older version of Moyles with his healthy lifestyle stories doesn't connect with me.
It feels like something is missing from the show but I have no idea what that thing is.
I used to belly laugh a lot during the R1 shows, but I can't think of many times hat I have during these new ones.

I have to agree with you here. I still listen to the full show every day (edited) but I can't really think of a single memorable bit so far.. I also agree with the point about not feeling connected with his stories of losing weight, I couldn't give a toss if I'm being honest, it also just isn't good radio.
This is what I just posted on FB

"I really want to hear you on a new music station that doesn't constantly play the same age-old Stone Roses/Foo Fighters/Oasis/Blur/Muse/Kings of Leon/Stereophonics tracks we've all heard a million times before. It's 2015!

The music is making it tough to stick with the show. At least on Radio 1 we all got to live in the musical present and didn't have to listen to a small pool of well-worn corporate indie songs all the time.

The Radio X music police wouldn't even let Vernon play The Test by The Chemical Brothers with Richard Ashcroft as they considered it a "deep cut". But I know it's out of your hands. This radio station might as well call itself 1996 FM."

The music is making him sound as irrelevant and outdated as the music he has to play. It's only 3.5 years ago since the nation was clinging onto his every word and he was playing Chase and Status and the like. He shouldn't be stuck on a station that lives in the past, and there is nothing remotely alternative about the music he has to play anyway, it's a form of 'alternative' music that could barely be more mainstream. I want him to be able to play Swift even more than he does!
I'm warming to Dave M but agree that it feels like there's a missing piece of the puzzle at times.

Pippa is clumsy on air, which Moyles plays up to but there's only so many times that's funny.

Dom is great for the silly humour but isn't quite enough of a sharp wit to seamlessly replace Comedy Dave. Chris has shown a bit of on-air exasperation at times with a lack of responsiveness from the team. Dave was always primed and ready to chip in and on Chris's level.

I wonder if they will look to add a new personality to the team in the new year. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a big fan of the new show and will continue to be regardless. But a more obvious direct replacement for Dave with someone who has on-air 'zoo' format experience might take the show up that final notch.
I think the show is pretty good, although i'm not too keen on when Chris goes on one of his 'tirades' and lays in on someone on the team for whatever reason. I know it's not genuine and it's meant to be humorous but it just feels awkward and unnecessary, could be wrong but i don't think he did this much on the old show.

The amount of ads and the lack of variety with the songs are rather frustrating too. Think they'd be better off not playing as much songs on the show, people tune into the show to listen to Moyles, not songs.

Still though, all relatively minor grievances, I enjoy the show on the whole, liking all the team too.
Am surprised no one's mentioned Morrissey / The Smiths in the repetition - they are on a lot.
I too think the show misses Comedy Dave a little, but that train has sailed.

As mentioned above, CD was on Chris' level, as he should be after so many years of working together; They knew each other inside out.

But, not to detract from what the show is now. Change happens, nothing we can do to fight it, but I do find the 'new' CM show entertaining - and it is still (relatively) early days. Even on Chris' switch to the Breakfast show on R1, it took time to bed into the show we all know and remember.

Thoroughly agree that [new] Dave Master(bator) is getting more and more into the flavor of the show, relaxing into the CM way and bringing more to the table himself. Pippa is lovely. I think she has a certain amount of 'on air' trepidation, which could be mistaken as clumsyness, but her background is NOT as a radio personality so I think we should cut her some slack. She, like [new] Dave will grow into her role and position within the show. Just like Rachel did, back in t'day (still miss Rach on air - she was great - "I've got a cuddly wicket" - I bet you have, m'dear!).

Overall, I think it is too early to fully judge the show. Some fundamental things have changed, which have not yet fully bedded in. I can only see the show growing in both performance and stature.
dimtimjim wrote:Thoroughly agree that [new] Dave Master(bator) is getting more and more into the flavor of the show, relaxing into the CM way and bringing more to the table himself. Pippa is lovely. I think she has a certain amount of 'on air' trepidation, which could be mistaken as clumsyness, but her background is NOT as a radio personality so I think we should cut her some slack. She, like [new] Dave will grow into her role and position within the show. Just like Rachel did, back in t'day (still miss Rach on air - she was great - "I've got a cuddly wicket" - I bet you have, m'dear!).

I agree with this. Personally, I'm loving the show and although, I too, sometimes miss Comedy Dave, we need to remember that actually it is always Chris Moyles who we want to hear at the end of the day. Loving Dom being back though. He nails my type of humour.

Friday is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/d[…]