The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
Yudster wrote:
bmstinton93 wrote:What happened to the new Adele song this morning? Also, just after Moyles was joking about Lionel Richie grimmy made a very similar joke.

Chris Evans did the Lionel Richie joke on R2 before either of them.

Something tells me that Adele herself or an early record company insider done the ritchie joke long before anybody outside of the production/writting process even knew she was making another album.
ianpwilliams wrote:I'm enjoying the show but I'm not convinced about Masterman. Not sure why they need two producers, although Capital clearly said to Chris that Masterman will have to be involved. Pippa's funny (if only unintentionally), but Masterman seems like dead weight.

He should be an off-air producer and they should replace him with someone who Chris and Dom can banter with. Obviously it wouldn't be Comedy Dave (that ship has clearly sailed given there were opportunities to mention him that weren't taken), but there must be other options.

If Masterman is going to continue on the show then he really should make himself more involved in my opinion, which he has the power to do as a producer.

I think Masterman is getting better every single day. A bit robotic at first which was always going to happen but becoming really funny.
I think he is really starting to get the show now. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd never heard the Radio 1 show before and had bought into other people's preconceptions of Chris, as I get the feeling he didn't think he'd like Chris much to start with. I have nothing more to base that on than a hunch though.
I like the fact that Masterman probably didn't listen to the old show, so everything is fresh and new to him. Many of the old inside jokes he's learning for the first time on air. It adds a fun element to it, like everyone is in the know except for him. He's starting to really relax and open up. I think he'll be fine.
Misfit wrote:Out of interest, am I alone in preferring the quiz when Rob DJ was pre recorded?

No. I think I preferred it like that too, it made the sound clips consistent which I quite liked.

They couldn't do the "question number 1, question number 1, question number 1" thing last week cos Rob's time delay on his line messed it up
James H wrote:
Misfit wrote:Out of interest, am I alone in preferring the quiz when Rob DJ was pre recorded?

No. I think I preferred it like that too, it made the sound clips consistent which I quite liked.

They couldn't do the "question number 1, question number 1, question number 1" thing last week cos Rob's time delay on his line messed it up

they seem to have solved that issue
much prefer when ROB DJ is on the line... the week when pippa asked the questions was somewhat disastrous imo.
I agree that the quiz sounds laboured with Rob live. Let's hope that isn't a permanent fixture.

I also agree about Dave relaxing into the show - he definitely sounds a lot better than a couple of weeks ago. I feel like he appreciates that they've more or less dropped the Madam thing.
I do love the show very much, but sometimes I feel like they're short of material. It's a bit like "we don't really have much to say, so during the next link let's talk to some listeners or maybe do ANOTHER bad dead James Brown impression. No? Then let's do the "what do the listeners think of the show" thing". They do these little segments whenever they want, so it's quite obvious they are not planned and come up on air simply to fill a minute or two. Yes, while Chris may be bored of the features from the old show, at least it gave the show some kind of structure as well as something for them to talk about... I'm not saying they should be identical, but I think some more features, aside from the Wheel of inappropriate tracks and Rob's pub quiz would be good.
I was thinking it can seem a little sparse at times, and the original breakfast show back in 2004 wasn't as devoid of features when it started, but they did bring a couple from the afternoon show, and the team was pretty much the same as it was on the afternoon show.

I think they still need some time to find their feet, but they will.

As a side note, I really enjoy the Wheel of Inappropriate Tracks, there's been some belters on there, and I can't wait for them to play Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins :D
The lack of features does need to be addressed; even if they are short and sweet (a la: ready to ramble) they help break up the show. I think one thing that doesn't help - is the fact we are now completely devoid of imaging.

The constant, RAY-DEE-OH-EX! Is a bit annoying, there just isn't enough variety to break up the talking/songs.

Spose thats what you get with a tinpot digital station though.
Yeah...did someone say in the early days that Richard Oliver was on board for this show? And if so, why haven't we seen more/different jingles? Maybe cos they think there isn't time for them with all the ads, I dunno.

I do enjoy the show but I still feel like it isn't structured enough and there are very few regular features. Again, maybe it's a perceived time thing with all the sponsored competitions and promos they have to fit in. When we complained about Big Weekend or Teen Awards promotion, we didn't realise how good we had it...
Indeed Nic, I sometimes find myself listening to jingles from the old show because they really were a huge selling point and I might never have even become a big fan without that huge blast off we got on the first R1 breakfast show, that stamped it's bollocks all over the radio landscape and showed us just how great radio can be when it's at it's best. Problem is, you say the word 'jingle' and someone else says 'cheesy'. But there was absolutely nothing cheesy about the last big band ones, and they were celebrated in style on his birthday in 2012.
Producing jingles are not cheap, too. It's a commercial station. There isn't the same type of free flowing BBC budget like in the good 'ol days. Using more of Paul Turner is cheaper than producing new sung jingles every time. It's cheaper for Paul to rip out a few pages of copy.
With regards to the lack of jingles, I have a couple of theories if you'll indulge me:

1) Sandy Beech is now in Cyprus and has his own radio show too, so may have less time on his hands
2) Music4 seem very quiet these days, and don't have their studios any more
3) From what I remember Chris used to get the PRS from his jingles so maybe, as he was freelance at R1, that he paid out of his own pocket for the jingles?

All complete guesses, but based on things I've heard from actual people, so make of that what you will!
James H wrote:1) Sandy Beech is now in Cyprus and has his own radio show too, so may have less time on his hands
2) Music4 seem very quiet these days, and don't have their studios any more
y

Music4 still produces packages for other stations as well. The physical space just isn't necessary with technology today. They can be produced anywhere, anytime on a laptop. When you need physical studio space, you can always rent a studio on a case by case matter.
True, although Music4's website itself is very quiet too, they used to upload pretty much everything they did, the newest one is dated January 2013 and the third newest is the final cheesy song for the old CM Show!
Chris' R1 show did appear to be the most regular client of Music4. I wonder if the end of Chris' R1 show and the consolidation going on in the industry have had an impact on their business. I note the website hasn't been updated with the Radio X jingles.

So how much production can be done remotely via computer and video conferencing these days, say with Sandy in Cyprus and a rented studio in country? Or is that still not quite good enough?
welshblob wrote:So how much production can be done remotely via computer and video conferencing these days, say with Sandy in Cyprus and a rented studio in country? Or is that still not quite good enough?

Nope, that's kind of standard these days.

Many times, when artists are producing a song and need a voice that's in another part of the world, they will link up via ISDN or another digital means and get what they need that way. Or just record it and send it as a file. Many times the "featuring _____" artists in a song don't even go to the same studio or location and record with the main artist on a track.

It's kind of normal for things to be produced elsewhere and sent thanks to technology these days.

Friday is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/d[…]