0%
Commercial local
8%
Other
6%
No radio at all
44%
By Yudster
I wouldn't call the fake laugh - or the fake anything else - recent exactly, like I said, it started when he got a daytime slot. He was good on Early Breakfast and not too bad in the early days of daytime but it quickly slid downhill with the plastic veneer and the phoney scenarios and stories, and the excruciating prank crap.
By Travis Bickle
Yudster wrote:Scott Mills was very good when he was on Early Breakfast. As soon as he went Prime Time he resorted to stupid though. Except for the chart show - I think he is the best ever presenter of the chart show.

I never heard him on early breakfast, but I do agree with you about the chart show. When I've heard him present that and recently Dance Anthems and other specials, he has been genuinely superb. The problem with Mills is when he is on his own show. Take him off that and give him a more generic DJ role and he wipes the floor with everyone else on daytime/evening radio 1. I can only think of Zane Lowe and Annie Mac who are better, although different.
By R94N
I used to be a regular listener to Scott in the afternoons, I thought he was quite funny. He does university tours as well DJing at freshers.
By chrysostom
I'm a big fan of Scott. While I don't think it's groundbreaking broadcasting, it is an easy listen - with a style of radio broadcasting that is dying now Moyles and Cox are off Radio 1.

Reinventing himself after Chappers left the show was tough - and without Chris Stark I don't think he'd be on Radio 1 today.
By Johnny 1989
chrysostom wrote:I'm a big fan of Scott. While I don't think it's groundbreaking broadcasting, it is an easy listen - with a style of radio broadcasting that is dying now Moyles and Cox are off Radio 1.

Reinventing himself after Chappers left the show was tough - and without Chris Stark I don't think he'd be on Radio 1 today.

Yeah I have to be honest I don't mind him either and find it a shame that that style of DJ (in a similar mould to Moyles and Coxy) have died out, thankfully Absolute and 6 Music have the traditional style now but sadly thw modern DJ on the likes of Radio 1 & Capital whilst harmless are incrediblu dull and samey but as usual exectutives not the audiences know best :roll:
The other day when I was listening live he played 2 songs, then the news, then another 2 songs!

I think he has struggled a lot since his Beccy left - as she was technically capable in the studio, as well as a foil for Scott. She would often mock Scott, but with Chris - he's in the position of power which is a little boring. The show has never really recovered from losing Chappers imo, but he's gone on to much better stuff!

Combined with that, long time producer (The one who doesn't speak) left him - taking with him a drive for new features. Now the show relies on Innuendo Bingo and Real or no Real - both of which are woefully repetitive. Not to mention he had an excellent way with sound production, and continually would make silly songs sampled with audio from the show or tv.

The show isn't great, but I feel the presenters are...if that makes sense?
I don't listen to Scott Mills anymore, his Show has become dry and boring now and there is nothing remotely interesting or worth listening to on his show anymore, I used to be a massive fan of the show but it really has gone down hill in recent months.
It's a very easy listen when I'm in my van which is all I can ask for really. I think it could definitely do with more guests/general chit chat between Scott and Chris. I have always criticised Chris Stark for being an annoying hanger on but his involvement is key to the show being enjoyable.
Innuendo Bingo baffles me. In what way is spitting water in someone's face funny for anyone over the age of 10? It's gross.

As far as the show goes, I think it could be better than it is. After reading Scott Mills book I like him more than I used to, but he should focus more on himself and his own personality rather than artificial catchphrases and gimmicks. Chris Stark is OK, but is overused. He should be an occasional contributor rather than a permanent sidekick.
Scott Mills' prime was pre-2004 on early breakfast.
bmstinton93 wrote:Real or no real and innuendo bingo are very repetitive and starting to get boring but it is Chris Stark who makes or breaks that show.

I agree with this. I find Scott less irritating than I used to, and I think Chris Stark's role has become pivotal to the humour.
Non offensive, self effacing laddish humour makes me laugh - in my opinion it's quite noticeable that as well as going for a younger audience, there is also a big focus on the young female market in the daytime content & scheduling, so it's nice to have something geared slightly towards the male demographic (not that the Mills show is exclusively male oriented...far from it!)
I listened to most of that yesterday - Scott & the commentators were the only good thing about it. Grimmy kept on going ON & ON flogging the horse of 'I don't know anything about football' & 'I'm a Lad now LOLZ JK not really'.

The open mockery of Football culture & sections of young Male culture without a 'buffer' team member is pretty boring & predictable to me. Turning into T4 Radio.
chrysostom wrote:Turning into T4 Radio.

Wasn't that the whole idea of recruiting Grimshaw to R1 in the first place?
I guess so, but at least T4 appealed to more than just the 'Teen Girl' demographic. Matt Edmonson's show is very good, but I think he'd be unable to maintain that pace on a daily basis with his material & features...although Scott manages it with 2 features.

Friday is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/d[…]