0%
Commercial local
8%
Other
6%
No radio at all
44%
By mrwurzal
I cannot backtrack, I the worlds biggest fan of Moyles and listened for so many years (even to the extent of on our pre honeymoon walking across London to wait to meet the legend Moyles... 6 times!) I was getting a little tired of the same old with Moyles, and did start to forward the games etc and just tune in as many did to the chatting links...

On the flip side, I listened to Gick Nrimshaw (sorry can't bring myself to say his name) and that is just absolute crap! I will never diss Moyles and the team again... Still missing the team and thankful for the daily podcasts!!
MadTheEddos wrote:
Hawkeye448 wrote:Judging by the Dom headlines, did the breakfast show really start AFTER Saddam Hussein was captured? And the Monday after Britney Spears got married by mistake?

Yep, and yep. Saddam was captured in November 2003 and Britney got married on 3/1/2004. It does kinda put into perspective how long the show ran for.

I cant believe when we were watching the footage of Saddams bearded face capture that the Moyles breakfast show was yet to start. Could have sworn Moyles had been doing it well before that.
Dont wake up to anything now.

But if I'm near the radio at work, I tend to put this local station on, called Norwich 99.9 - I usually hate local radio, especially the likes of Heart, but I find this Norwich 99.9 ok, full of cheesy DJ's and pointless competitions (win a scarf!) but they play a really good mix of music, there always seems to be a classic on, its like a golden hour all day!
I hope this is the right topic for this post - I did a search but couldn't find one mentioning - what are you listening to now -.
Someone here recommended 10 Minute Podcast, that is good. I've found a very funny podcast last night called The LunaticRadio.com Show (downloadable on iTunes). It is three New York guys just talking. Shows are 2.5 to 3.5 hours.
They go all over the place, I am listening to their most recent podcast March 11. This is the only one I've heard so far They go all over the place. I don't know if everyone will like it but some similarities with 10 Minute Podcast.
Martyn B wrote:Dont wake up to anything now.

But if I'm near the radio at work, I tend to put this local station on, called Norwich 99.9 - I usually hate local radio, especially the likes of Heart, but I find this Norwich 99.9 ok, full of cheesy DJ's and pointless competitions (win a scarf!) but they play a really good mix of music, there always seems to be a classic on, its like a golden hour all day!

:D
Radio 1 still - Dev. I usually hear a few little bits of the first half hour of Grimmy's show but its not exactly memorable radio, its just a noise to wake me up.
Yudster wrote:Radio 1 still - Dev. I usually hear a few little bits of the first half hour of Grimmy's show but its not exactly memorable radio, its just a noise to wake me up.

I tend to listen to Dev as well. I don't know what has happened to him though. He has changed his act a bit. He seems to be trying to be a bit edgy and sarcastic lately and I'm not sure it suits him.

If I'm working a bit later I wake up to Capital. Other than the nickstape I still cant listen to Grimshaw.
Travis Bickle wrote:Other than the nickstape I still cant listen to Grimshaw.
+1. The Nickstape is bearable, but it's not as good as the Golden Hour!
I had to listen to Nick Grimshaw's show in lessons for a few weeks (I take media and we were studying the Radio 1 breakfast show.) So I can tell you that in my opinion although the show is ok, it just seems like any other random daytime show.

Nowadays I just don't listen to radio, and very very occasionally I will load up an old show from the vault.
By DC
Being in the midlands I usually have Kerrang on these days. Loz & Keith probably aren't the best breakfast hosts I've ever heard, but I find them good enough plus I like the music policy that Kerrang carries. I have listened to Grimmy on Radio 1 a couple or three times, but the problem with him is the problem with Radio 1 in general for me nowdays. It sounds like it's built for someone who's 15 not 25, and I've lost interest. I still listen to Scott Mills now and again, but even he now sounds out of place with the rest of the station/presenters and I wonder now when his time will be up. Besides the Radio 1 playlist seems to get worse, I can't wait until this dubstep stuff goes away.

Then saying all that time and people move on, Mark & Lard finished on Radio 1 over 9 years ago now. Really didn't think it was that long ago until I pulled up their last show last week. I'm sure I've got a few more shows to contribute to the archives on here when I can find the time to edit them and upload them.
You are getting too old for Radio 1 Mr DC! I disagree about Mills though, he's as awful as the rest of them on there.
harrysmyth wrote:Hi Sophie,

Just out of curiousity... (I didnt take media at school), what did you used to discuss about his show in your lessons?

How Jingles were technological to try and show that the radio 1 show was hip, the use of backing music for the same purpose. Basically a lot about appealing to the young target audience and making the show seem cool. We had to use his show as inspiration to do our own 5 minute sample of a show.

Load of bull really.
I don't actually mind Scott, sometimes he can be funny and sometimes he can be extremely boring. I hardly listen to him now though because I hate radio 1 now that they've gone all teenagery, strange though as I'm only 14 and should probably like it, but I literally hate the music radio 1 plays. I see nothing wrong with Scott though I still hear him now and again. Each to their own anyway.
It would be impossible to deny the change in direction at Radio 1, but there are still some decent shows to listen to.

During weekdays you've still got Sara Cox who is consistently excellent and Greg James who is decent enough I suppose. Dev on early breakfast isn't a bad listen either. In the evenings Zane Lowe is good at what he does, if a bit t0o gushing and saccharine on occasions. Alice and Phil at 10pm are reasonable as well.

At the weekends there is the superb Annie Mac. When she covers for Zane Lowe she is fantastic in my opinion and would be perfect for that timeslot, but her Friday and Sunday shows are pretty good.I like Danny Howard on a Saturday afternoon/evening with Dance Anthems and Huw Stephens has improved too.

Matt Edmondson is very talented and quite funny on weekend mornings, but his shows are pretty much teen-focussed.

Despite what people say, the music they play is a decent variation of modern music. Radio 1 don't want me listening, but they've still got some way to go before they get me to turn off.
By DC
Topher wrote:You are getting too old for Radio 1 Mr DC! I disagree about Mills though, he's as awful as the rest of them on there.

I'd agree with you there, I've felt too old for Radio 1 for around the last 4 or 5 years now to be honest. I find that people seem to like Scott Mills or don't, there seems to be no inbetween. I listened a lot a few years ago, but it was the beginning of the end when Chappers left.

I'm finding that I am listening to Radio 2 more now. I always have time for Simon Mayo, and I always listen again to Dave Pearce on Saturday nights. Better than Danny Howard's version of Dance Anthems I find, too many cheesy remixes for my liking. Radio 2 seems to be a station in transition. The likes of Simon Mayo, Chris Evans, Dave Pearce, Jo Whiley I can listen to. Yet I can't listen to the likes of Ken Bruce playing the Beach Boys or Jeremy Vine. It's like the age range is too wide, radio for 30 year olds one minute and 65 year olds the next.
DC wrote:Being in the midlands I usually have Kerrang on these days. Loz & Keith probably aren't the best breakfast hosts I've ever heard, but I find them good enough plus I like the music policy that Kerrang carries

I've never listened to the breakfast show on there. I know Johnny Doom as he often DJs with Mr Red and he has no discernible personality either on the air or in real life. In the north west Real XS is a much better choice for a rock station, although the ads grate on me somewhat, and it does get a bit 'local radio' at times.
By DC
Nicola_Red wrote:
DC wrote:Being in the midlands I usually have Kerrang on these days. Loz & Keith probably aren't the best breakfast hosts I've ever heard, but I find them good enough plus I like the music policy that Kerrang carries

I've never listened to the breakfast show on there. I know Johnny Doom as he often DJs with Mr Red and he has no discernible personality either on the air or in real life. In the north west Real XS is a much better choice for a rock station, although the ads grate on me somewhat, and it does get a bit 'local radio' at times.

Yeah it's a natural reaction for me to just change the station when the adverts come on. Johnny Doom dosen't strike me as having a great radio voice, although his knowledge of the heavier side of rock music seems to carry him through. Don't listen to Kerrang after 7pm anyway as it gets too heavy for my taste. The last time I listened to Kerrang at night was when Tim Shaw's asylum used to be on, a few years back now.

I quite like listening to Kate Lawler, so much so that I switch over from Scott Mills come 3pm and miss out the last hour.
By Bas
DC wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote:

Yeah it's a natural reaction for me to just change the station when the adverts come on. Johnny Doom dosen't strike me as having a great radio voice, although his knowledge of the heavier side of rock music seems to carry him through. Don't listen to Kerrang after 7pm anyway as it gets too heavy for my taste. The last time I listened to Kerrang at night was when Tim Shaw's asylum used to be on, a few years back now.

I quite like listening to Kate Lawler, so much so that I switch over from Scott Mills come 3pm and miss out the last hour.

Is Johnny Doom the guy who sounds like he's lost a pound & found a penny?
Bas wrote:Is Johnny Doom the guy who sounds like he's lost a pound & found a penny?

Yes, I believe you're thinking of the right chap. He's much the same in real life, except with more alcohol added.
Right, over the last 2 weeks I've so far tried:

Radio 1 - Music is sometimes too aggressive for waking up. Grimmy is relatively inoffensive but not a great listen
Radio 2 - Chris Evans is tedious and waking up to 'the Candyman' song makes me want to vomit
Radio 4 - No music at all, so difficult to actually wake up. Too early for intense debate
Radio 5 - No music, quite boring
Capital - The music is ok, adverts are very annoying, AWFUL jingles, Dave Berry is a twat (today's story was how he saw an older woman getting changed in public view and had to scream 'argh my eyes'. That was trailed from 8am and told at 8.15. Was nice hearing Dom deliver the news though.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Friday is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/d[…]