The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
Yudster wrote:Its not those suggestions which have been chosen, its those PEOPLE. Its a brainstorming session to discuss new ideas, not a congratulations we are going to do your feature slap on the back session.

Dumbass me then! Well, they should use a few of them anyway since they would be fun.
bmstinton93 wrote:Not as good as the most recent version. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant remake

Johnny 1989 wrote:
bmstinton93 wrote:Not as good as the most recent version. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant remake

Wilder>Depp

In my opinion of course, although that's because the Wilder one was the first version I saw.

jocky85 wrote:Agreed with you Johnny.

The original Charlie film was crap, miles away from the book; the remake I only saw recently and although it's not totally faithful, it is a lot closer, so for that reason I prefer it.
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator was always my least favourite Roald Dahl book; it seems to me as though he was trying a bit too hard to come up with a sequel for it, it certainly wasn't his best work - to me anyway. Having said that though, he was writing a third Charlie book before he died (Charlie and the White House I believe.)
Both films were absolute shite in relation to the book, but at least the Depp one was a decent attempt. Roald Dahl tried very hard to stop the Wilder one being released, he was so upset by how awful it was.
Last edited by Yudster on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He didn't like any of the film adaptations of his books - he loved The Witches with its original ending, but they changed it so that the two lads got turned back from mice afterwards, which wasn't what he wanted at all. I reckon he'd have loved Matilda though, if they'd made that before he died.
neilt0 wrote:If you liked Roald Dahl, do not read this: http://thisrecording.com/today/2011/6/1 ... d-dah.html

Oh I'm well aware that he was a dreadful man, some have said borderline sociopath and I know where they are coming from. A lot of his stories do have cruelty and merciless revenge at their centres, and I've always thought that was an indication of a very disturbed psyche on the part of the writer. But I have never had a problem classing the stories in the same genre as fairy tales - classic fairy tales are bizarre, gory, very very dark and macabre, but they are fairy tales, they aren't meant to be taken literally on any level at all.

I have always thought that if I had met him I really wouldn't have like Roald Dahl at all, I've never heard anything to suggest he was in any way someone I would enjoy being with. But that doesn't mean I can't take his stories, firmly in the context of fairy tales, and appreciate them.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, Another day at work done.

Andy, Andy, Rich, Nisha and Shamrock, I shall see you all tomorrow......
After reading this thread when Aled started it I intended to post on it but just didnt for whatever reason and then the thread just passed me bye for some reason. And I missed the bit about the prize as well :(

Of all the threads to miss...

Congrats to those going :D It will be superb I am sure.
dimtimjim wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, Another day at work done.

Yup look forward to meeting ye all... Might be running a few minutes late but I'll be there!

If Viaduct is not on the running order from Monday onwards, Aled's going to have a very tearful 23 year old on his hands:)
shamrock student wrote:
dimtimjim wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, Another day at work done.

Yup look forward to meeting ye all... Might be running a few minutes late but I'll be there!

If Viaduct is not on the running order from Monday onwards, Aled's going to have a very tearful 23 year old on his hands:)

Viaduct! :o (Aled hits his head on the desk)

We can be more creative than bring back old features!

Looking forward to seeing everyone later! Safe journey!
Brayds2006 wrote:"In total there are 200 users online :: 9 registered, 1 hidden and 190 guests"

The server better hold up. :)

Let me guess, normally there would only be 20 or so members online at any one time.... A sort of bunch of die-hard loyalists who have been here since day one? 15 of them will be gimpy suck ups to Aled with the other 5 generally being disruptive and such...
We're pleased to meet you too.

Friday is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/d[…]